Fun game, but too short for the cost

essteeyou

I knew this game was short when I preordered it, but I'm still quite disappointed by just how short it seemed.

I finished the main story in a few hours after work. Once you've done the main story there's not much point going back to free roam mode. There's nothing going on that's particularly fun.

I'm hoping the arenas and challenges will fill up another couple of evenings.

Edited by essteeyou
  • Like 1

I thought the story was decent enough length, and I was able to grind out the arena challenges and get plat in 10 hours 25 mins play time (including breaks). I'm happy with that considering that, while it is stand alone, it's technically DLC. Also taking into consideration that the main game story was fairly short, I think it's pretty fair.

Not being funny, but what did you expect for the price? It's super cheap, I think a ps4 game of that calibre with a 4 hour story is totally worth £14. 

On the other hand you had MGS ground zeros which was a total rip off. 

• Like 3

Not being funny, but what did you expect for the price? It's super cheap, I think a ps4 game of that calibre with a 4 hour story is totally worth £14. 

agreed. a "PSN" game. I wouldnt expect too much of a few hours of play. especially at $14.99. dont get much these days.....

Well it is just pretty much a dlc expansion sold as a standalone.  So 3 - 5 hours is what I expected content-wise.

Probably should mention I haven't had a chance to play it yet due to terrible internet speeds the past couple of days (15mb connection been sitting averaged at .1 - .5 peaking at 1mb.), but judging by what I've heard, its what I expected out of it

Edited by Astindan

I paid £12 for it, it lasted 4 hours or so. I paid around 4 times that price for Watch Dogs and it's lasted more than 4 times as long so far with interesting things still left to do. It's not unusual for games to be released at around £50 with 20-40 hours of gameplay. Admittedly I'm talking about games like Skyrim or GTA.

Cost per hour for First Light seems high when you consider there's no real replay value. Second Son at least gives you the good vs. evil replays. There's no choice in the story at all and once you've completed the story you're stuck with a city that boils down to a few drive-bys, APCs, and hostages.

Like I said, hopefully the arenas will change my opinion, but they already feel a bit grindy.

Cost per hour is a terrible measurement for value in gaming.  Just because a game is longer doesn't make it a better value than a shorter game (based on cost equivalent).  For me a better metric is cost to enjoyment or overall experience.

And I beg to differ about replay value, some folks love climbing leaderboards or besting their friends scores.  Add in the ability to play both Alpha and Beta challenges as Deslin, and there's plenty here even after the platinum.  

• Like 2

Ah, the ol' cost-to- length debate.

Therein madness lies!

I always would rather have a good short game than a padded out long one.

Look at Lone Survivor or Limbo - both about the same price (at launch) both shorter than First Light, both 2 of the best games of the generation.

• Like 1

Not to pile on but what did you expect for a $15 game? To use your time equivalent: In the US when we have new release Tuesday for some Blu Ray movies thay go on sale for around $15-16$ the first week and shoot up to $20ish dollars afterwards. The average run time for most movies is probably (heavy guessing) 100-110 minutes. 

Considering that this is an interactive piece of media that offers some story and replay value for challenges id say that we all didn't make off too badly with our money. How much did you think the game should have been worth?

• Like 1

I paid £12 for it, it lasted 4 hours or so. I paid around 4 times that price for Watch Dogs and it's lasted more than 4 times as long so far with interesting things still left to do. It's not unusual for games to be released at around £50 with 20-40 hours of gameplay. Admittedly I'm talking about games like Skyrim or GTA.

Cost per hour for First Light seems high when you consider there's no real replay value. Second Son at least gives you the good vs. evil replays. There's no choice in the story at all and once you've completed the story you're stuck with a city that boils down to a few drive-bys, APCs, and hostages.

Like I said, hopefully the arenas will change my opinion, but they already feel a bit grindy.

I think you've been spoiled haha, dude go to the cinema if you really wanna see poor value for money, you pay £10 to go a see a on average 90 minute film, 

then if you want to see it again you have to buy it for another £10 once it releases, like it or not, £12 for 4 hours on entertainment, if great value in today's economy. 

Also if you brought the physical copy, which anyone with a braincell would do, because digital in UK is such an unbelievable rip off, you can sell the game. ;) 

Get at least half your money back dude. 

£3 for one hour of entrainment is a fucking great deal bro. 

Also you should measure a game on how good you think it is, not how long it is, you could pay £30 for a 4 hour campaign, but it could blow your fucking mind right? It could be one of your favourite games of the last decade, is it still not worth the money to you because of the time played? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This game is $15.00 and here what I got for my money: A nice little trophy list complete with a platinum. A story that took about 3, maybe 4 hours to complete. (which I hear is the same length as The Last of Us: Left Behind..... ) Access to free roam post-story. Challenges in an arena to complete that gave me skill points to make Fetch's powers even stronger. A stand alone part of inFAMOUS: Second Son with those graphics and part of Seattle. 

The quality of the story is up to you and your interest in that world, character and everything else. But I can say, I got this before I played inFAMOUS: Second Son because of the value and it being a stand alone.. I was curious about the world of inFAMOUS (never played 1 or 2) and am so glad I did.

Also.. there's a trophy called "That's so Fetch". 'Nuff said for me.  B)

• 3 weeks later...

I honestly thought it was great value for $15 Canadian. I had a blast playing it too. I will agree that the challenge arena is completely grindy though. Halfway through I was done with the challenge arena as far as interest goes. Got pretty tiring rescuing hostages repeatedly. The story I enjoyed immensely and the fluid controls made fetch easier to kick ass with than Deslin imo. Deslin felt like ... jack of all trades master of none where fetch was just all out stronger and better developed since they focused on one power. I had and have no desire to play as Delsin in the challenge arena. At all. Surprising value for the money imo though. More grinding content won't add any value. I can't stand pointless grind fests to pad a game. I was satisfied with the story length.

• 4 weeks later...

I personally loved all inFamous games and now want a Eugene spin-off to tell his story and it can be just as short for me as long games can get boring its about quality not quantity with me and the Arenas were fun especially as I am top of my friends list leaderboard by over a million :P