Would I like this if I hated Virtue's Last Reward?

Danganronpa is on sale this week on PSN for $20. From what I've read, it's most comparable to Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. The thing is, I didn't really like VLR and thought it was way overrated.

The convoluted sci-fi/conspiracy story didn't really do anything for me. But the puzzle sections were mostly enjoyable. It had it's interesting moments, but I found myself more impatient with the game than interested.

If Danganronpa has a better story-to-gameplay balance, I think I would like it more. And the story seems more interesting compared to VLR, from what I've read. For anyone who has played both, which would your prefer? Am I better off just passing it up?

Edited by yeaaawutever

I liked both, but if you enjoyed VLR except for the sci-fi stuff you might like Danganronpa more. It's still a visual novel with mystery, but a lot less sci-fi. You're stuck in a school trying to get out. I'd say it's about an hour or two of story then about an hour long of mini games when you do the trials so it's more balanced in that sense. For $20, it's a really good deal in my opinion, but if you choose not to get it you could always watch the anime :)

Thanks for the input.

How about the visuals? I noticed in VLR, they recycled a lot of the animations. And "cutscenes" used still images. From the looks of Danganronpa, it looks like they use still images too?

Also, is there anything as annoying as that damn bunny??

Sometimes they use still images, but there's some cutscenes that are actually little videos.

Hmm... there's Monokuma, but I love Monokuma. Didn't care for the bunny in VLR. Monokuma is more of a humor piece in the story. Sometimes it's dark humor, sometimes it's bear puns, and other times he's a perv, but overall I'd say he's better than the bunny.

hmmmm.... both are great game for me... Dangan is like VLR less the sci fi stuff (which I believe you hate) but unlike VLR... Dangan only have 1 Ending... no character endings but you can get to know the ither characters more in some way... 

well if you like VLR and Ace attorney gameplay, you might love this game...

Danganronpa starts off really good but the ending is really weak. It is a shame as the beginning is so good.

I do agree. Spoiler in case anyone is playing it

Though I was completely thrown off by the whole "who was behind it twist" but yeah, the ending kinda... Makes a sudden drop. Not a gradual sloping, but a drop right off a cliff.

Well it's kind of hard to compare them gameplay wise since VLR is a puzzle game and Danganronpa is more like Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright games.

You could watch a let's play of the first 30 minutes to see if you'll like it. 

Edited by soultaker655

Honestly, If I were you I would just watch the anime adaption since it's free and just in case you don't like the game you didn't have to waste $20 on something you didn't like. If you do watch the anime adaption I have to warn you that it's really fast paced and they skip all the character development in the anime.

What did you not like about VLR? Just the story or gameplay style as well?

Dangan's story is much less serious but the gameplay is pretty much VN-only with VLR-like investigation (but VLR had the puzzles as well in addition to clicking and you will miss that in Dangan) the court mini-games are just once per chapter.

As for me... as I'm always saying, I bought Vita for VLR and it's my second favorite game ever after Persona games. So... I can't say anything else but that I prefer VLR in every aspect.

Edited by SatoshiOokami

I guess my biggest gripe about VLR was the story. I generally like sci-fi, but I just couldn't get myself to care about this story, which then made the game feel kind of like a chore. The beginning was promising, but I felt it went off the rails soon after (there are clones, a cult, a robot, some dude locked in an armored suit, etc). I ended up pursuing the platinum trophy, so that meant having to get all endings and going through A LOT of the same stuff over again, which bothered me. On top of that, VLR made you sit through some really unnecessary stuff, like walking through halls and opening doors, and watching a dot move around map. It's not like you control the movement of your character aside from looking around rooms.

I know the fact that I didn't like VLR puts me in the minority. I do like story driven games like Persona 4, so it's really the story itself that matters. I took your guys' advice and watched some videos on youtube (duh, I don't know why that didn't occur to me earlier). It does remind me a lot of VLR. I'll probably wait for it to maybe pop up on PS+. Thanks guys!