Am I the only one that thinks fallout 3 is incredibly hard ?

linkisawesome

Depends what difficulty you play at and how you play the game. You also need to know/figure out how to play in a way where these things are really easy to come by.

Here's a guide some users and I made that might help you  https://psnprofiles.com/guide/207-Fallout-3-Trophy-Guide

Edited by spazza136
  • Like 1

It's only difficult if you fail to 1) optimise your character, and 2) think about the consequences of your choices. It's all about choices. First, think about how you want to play the game and select skills to reflect that style. Then, gather gear and supplies to support that style... Then, if you can't avoid an enemy or kill them without putting yourself in danger, you'll be prepared to deal with the possibility of direct combat. Also, as others have said, you may have your difficulty set to an unrealistic standard.

Yeah, I was struggling in the beginning of the game (apparently bonus exp is not a good skill to put your first few points in :P). Once you get familiar with the game and pick some better skills, things get considerably easier. Also you can get a follower later that can take some of the heat of you.

Also, pick your battles. It's no use to charge in head first against a bunch of super mutants early on.

The lack of ammo, no regenerating health, the lack of money and lack of medical suplies makes me really strugle with this game.

Lack of ammo - trick is to spend time scavenging and selling - start building up a cap stockpile. If a vendor runs out of money - wait 3 days and their store cash will replenish. Also spend your skill points and choose perks wisely. If you increase your effectiveness with your weapon of choice, you will kill things faster and with less bullets. Also - make sure you are using VATS, playing Fallout 3 like a standard FPS can work against you.

No regenerating health - Never sell your stimpacks. If it comes down to the choice between healing or sleeping to regenerate in the early stages of the game - always go for sleeping. Even if it takes a minute or two longer to fast travel to the nearest bed etc. There are also perks that boost the healing aspects of the game too.

Lack of money - scavenge - sell - rinse - repeat. In the early stages, strip everything you kill clean and sell it

Lack of medical supplies - If you are scavenging and doing side missions - make sure to loot every container and thing you kill. Lockpicking is a good skill to invest in as most locked containers have useful stuff in them.

I used to be the same, what you need to do is find yourself some companions they are basically people who follow you around and help you battle and stuff, fallout 3 is a bit of a pain with companions because once they die they stay dead (new vegas is a much better game and its companions come back to life) so if you do come to rely on them make sure you save often incase one dies, there are many companions in a game though so if you lose one you can always find another.

I personally dont think id be able to enjoy the series without companions for the same reasons you stated.

No, I've never found it that difficult unless the game throws a random deathclaw encounter right in front of me at about level 2-3, which did happen once.

Your best bet is to plan your character, figure out a combat style you want to use, see what perks you need to make it work and figure out how to get those perks at the levels they can first become available.

And follow Captain_Cutscene's advice. That is pretty much how I do it when I play. Also, if the vendor runs out of caps then I just dump everything I couldn't sell into a container in my house and save it to sell later.

• 2 weeks later...

This game intimidated me at first. But after a while I had so many supplies it was insane. The game takes time, a lot of it. Best thing to do is obtain the house in megaton by disabling the bomb, then you have a place to store stuff. Keep on good terms with merchants (esp the Moira chick in megaton) so you can sell stuff. 

Eventually I ended up with over 100 perfect condition best of the best weapons stored, over 20k caps, and 800 stimpaks. Granted, I was already pretty much done with the game. I still plan to go back sometime and play the game of the year edition for the DLC. 

I remember lock picking and hacking pissed me off a lot, until I learned how to do it without screwing stuff up. For lock picking, go slow and you will be fine, esp once you upped your skill. The computer hacking, I did not know you could try three words and then back out, come back and try three again. I locked myself out of maybe 15 terminals before I knew you could do that. The same kinda goes with the lock picking, you get three hard hits on the bobby pin and then you can back out before the 4th one breaks it. Also, later on in the game you will be able to get a perk that unlocks locked terminals or broken locks.

Get your repair level up a bit at first and repair the pipes around megaton for some quick XP. Save up scrap metal for Walter in the water processing plant in megaton for XP as well. Keep multiple save files in case you mess something up (New Vegas, I find my self with about 40 save files these days on that one). Do small side missions to level up before doing the main story ones. And, if you don't have the GOTY edition, either get it or the broken steel DLC so you can continue on after the main mission is over. 

All in all, I really love this game, and I thought I would hate it. I only just played it for the first time this year, and I ended up playing it for like a week straight, and I have the platinum for it. Very fun platinum for me. Just make sure to keep multiple saves before the required karma trophies so you can change your karma, level up, get the trophy in the same playthrough and just re load and get back on course.

I highly recommend you give this game a good try, at least 10 hours. I can only hope that one day they can have memory wipes so I can play this game all over again like it was new to me :)

I struggled with the game when I first played it. Honestly, I think I bumped it down to Easy from the get-go. But after a while you scavenge enough stuff to not really have to worry about surprise. If you find some of the more powerful weapons earlier on it will also save you a bit of trouble. But the combat can still be awkward and hard to manage at times. Follows can definitely help, but not so much because they'll be as weak as you are and companions die permanently in this game.

SCAVENGE YOU FOOL!
but seriously, scavenging any place you come across will save your life in the long run even if the place could be an ambush, scav it anyway, it would also be a good idea to scav any junk you think is worth the space to sell (for me it was anything weightless, sugar bombs  to a ghoul who makes ultra jet, pre-war books to a BoS scribe, and cigarettes.) another thing you should know is how to use your flashlight on the pipboy, trust me it makes seeing traps a whole lot easier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

not at all because it's one of those games that is a few levels above you throughout so whenever you level up, the enemies are already tougher to some point but when you make progress through the game and get good armour/weapons/equipment then you balance that playin ground out...

also you'll become seasoned to playin it and will get used to knowin what areas you're ready to take on and what areas you should avoid... any big open areas will spawns giant rad scorpions, deathclaws and mutants so stay to the city areas and follow the roads when goin from location to location, that way you will avoid any dangerous enemies until you are ready to fuck them up...

be sure to scavenge anythin for supplies and repair what you are usin... put all your stats into strength, energy, small arms, explosives, repair, big guns and then upgrade them along with abilities like computer tech/locksmith etc so you don't fuck up hackin attempts or waste bobby pin items...

also upgrade the amount of weight you can carry because when those jealous bounty bastards come to get you for bein slightly good/bad you can take their amour and chinese guns... they are middle tier equipment which will take you through some tough missions until nicer equipment starts becomin available...

Edited by DARKSCORPONOXR

• 3 weeks later...