Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seo-kyoung

Bug: Incorrect Character Encoding in "About Me" on Profile Page

12 posts in this topic

https://psnprofiles.com/seo-kyoung

Please visit my profile and notice that my About Me (top left, underneath my username) displays as "カナダ人ã§ã™" instead of "カナダ人です", as it is supposed to.

Edited by seo-kyoung

I see... Maybe that's because the code doesn't recognise your language maybe, so it inserts other symbols? I don't know for sure though.

PSNP has always done this. I don't know why since Japanese games show the characters fine.

PSNP has always done this. I don't know why since Japanese games show the characters fine.

So I'm guessing the administrators here don't care about bugs (and therefore, the users) unless something is critical? This seems like a pretty unreasonable thing to ignore for so long for a multilingual site.

So I'm guessing the administrators here don't care about bugs (and therefore, the users) unless something is critical? This seems like a pretty unreasonable thing to ignore for so long for a multilingual site.

It's been 3 days. How about you develop some patience.

And this is not a multilingual site. It's English with limited support for foreign language game and trophy names.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Yeah, the website has some sort of issue noticing certain characters only for game title fields and I guess in this case also About Me information when those things come into the site. Me and Sly make sure once a week that the games that came in with other languages (like Japanese games) have all their correct characters because of this. 

And even though this website is primarily English, a ton of people who speak other languages definitely use it, such as from Japan, many Spanish countries, it's even apparently really popular in Libya, lol - So I'd say it's still important to keep up with that kind of stuff too.

And even though this website is primarily English, a ton of people who speak other languages definitely use it, such as from Japan, many Spanish countries, it's even apparently really popular in Libya, lol - So I'd say it's still important to keep up with that kind of stuff too.

I meant in terms of the character encoding that the primary language is English. Other languages are either partially supported or unsupported. It's definitely not a multilingual environment, nor is it easy to achieve.

This is what happens when utf-8 string is treated as ascii (ISO-8859-1).

I meant in terms of the character encoding that the primary language is English. Other languages are either partially supported or unsupported. It's definitely not a multilingual environment, nor is it easy to achieve.

maybe 10 years ago, but not now. Now unicode is everywhere and supporting it is not that hard (while, unfortunately, still requires some workarounds).

Yes, this is entirely a solved problem, Unicode is very widely supported. In this particular scenario I don't see any reason it would be difficult unless you needed to determine which character encoding you're reading from. Assuming that we're grabbing profile data from Playstation.com (which uses UTF-8), this would not be the case.

If you still believe it that there's anything that would make this not easy to achieve, I would be interested in hearing some technical elaboration.

Given that most of this site seems to handle Japanese fine, I imagine that all that needs to happen is a relatively minor change to whatever is responsible for scraping the user data from the PSN profiles themselves.

It's been 3 days. How about you develop some patience.

And this is not a multilingual site. It's English with limited support for foreign language game and trophy names.

I was referring the fact that my boy Nuttro93 said "PSNP has always done this." Surely, I am not the first person to notice this and bring it up?

I wasn't literally expecting this issue to be already resolved in 3 days of me reporting it.

I apologize about the bit about "not caring about users", but throwing a little jab in tends to get faster responses.

Edited by seo-kyoung

Maybe someday this website will target a wider range past english speaking countries. Full language selection support and multilanguage sections in the forums.

This is an old thread Shadowrider50, but I have checked with the beta version of PSN Profiles and it's shown correct there. Nice read though!