Opinions compared to the original?

puckelberry

I loved Tales of Xillia, all the characters were interesting and I fell in love with them all (especially Alvin once I put him in some douchey aviators)

Though I havent finished 2 yet it just doesnt feel as good, the levelling system feels really detached and God Dam it LUDGER LEARN HOW TO TALK. 

But yeah anyone else feel the same way

I seem to be in a minority here but I actually prefer Xillia 2 to the original Xillia, for a few reasons:

• I like Ludger more as a protagonist.
  • The choice-making is a fantastic feature.  More RPGs need this.
  • The story is HEAPS better.  It's actually memorable this time around.
  • I miss silent protagonists.  They feel like a blast from the past of old classic RPGs.
  • Also?  Elle is <3.

I personally rated the original Xillia 9/10, whereas I'd easily rate Xillia 2 a 10/10.  I can't think of any complaints with it.  I'm on 65 hours and I still have a lot to do   :lol:   I do hope to platinum this one because I love it so much, even though it's a much bigger grind than the original.

• Like 2

I loved Tales of Xillia, all the characters were interesting and I fell in love with them all (especially Alvin once I put him in some douchey aviators)

Though I havent finished 2 yet it just doesnt feel as good, the levelling system feels really detached and God Dam it LUDGER LEARN HOW TO TALK

But yeah anyone else feel the same way

When you beat the game and start NG+, when you enter the grade shop one of the options is "Play Ludger’s voice when you make a selection". It actually costs 0 grade, apparently.

I love the game but I'm taking a break from it at the moment. Bit burnt out on Xillia after plating the first game then starting the second immediately. I've played about 30hrs, don't think I'm anywhere close to finishing it haha.   

And, as Yuzuki stated about... the trophy's are pretty brutal compared to the first. I'm going to try and plat it though. 

Edited by Venocide

I like the original better for a couple reasons. The story was a bit on the dark side to often during in the game. I don't have a problem with having a story that is not happy all the time but when it comes to Tales games my favorite part is how lighthearted and funny they are and I just didn't feel that as much with this one. Another problem is the fact that Ludger was silent. Due to him never speaking, I could never get attached to him as a character and thus didn't get invested in the story as much as the original. Finally the leveling system was boring this time around. One could argue that the originals leveling system was too much like Final Fantasy XIII but I also enjoyed it in that game so I had no problem with it being similar. 

Some things about the second that I did like more were: 

• Decent amount of unlockable costumes. I've gotten really tired with the series lately due to their need to make costumes DLC instead of allowing me to get them in-game so it was nice to actually be able to unlock them again. 
  • Cameos again. Something that was missing from the original was the ability to fight past Tales characters in the coliseum. Thankfully they fixed that this time around.
  • Level cap has been set back to 200.
  • No pointless duel story. I like the idea they were going for with the original but in practice it proved to be unnecessary. Jude and Milla were together for about 90% of the time so all you really got were a couple of scenes that didn't involve the other making it a waste of time.  

At the end of the day, both the games are good and it is a much better sequel than Dawn of a New World and I guess that should count for something. Now to look forward to Tales of Zestiria!

Dont get me wrong its a fun game and the choice system is clever but I wish it was like Mass effect or DA2 where ludger would read out a longer version of your choice. Hes just so blatantly silent especially since he says one word or something or just makes ummm noises it gets awkward

Also Elle for the win

I seem to be in a minority here but I actually prefer Xillia 2 to the original Xillia, for a few reasons:

• I miss silent protagonists.  They feel like a blast from the past of old classic RPGs.
  • Also?  Elle is <3.

I personally rated the original Xillia 9/10, whereas I'd easily rate Xillia 2 a 10/10.  I can't think of any complaints with it.  I'm on 65 hours and I still have a lot to do   :lol:   I do hope to platinum this one because I love it so much, even though it's a much bigger grind than the original.

My thoughts exactly, In my opinion this is the best Tales game I've played as well as the only one to have actually touched me on an emotional level. I loved the darker/unique plot much more then the usual cliche/upbeat and colorful JRPG plots they have for other games in the series. Don't get me wrong I love all the Tales games, but this one really stood out from the others for me.

They also stepped up the combat system quite a bit from the first, most importantly; it wasn't nearly as easy! Also being able to do 100+ combos without abusing Sylph and side stepping without needing the 'Mirage Assault' skill was nice.

Overall it was just a refreshing experience, and much different then what I would expect from a Tales game. :D

• Like 2

To be honest when I first started the game I felt a little dissapointed since it was kind of boring, but now I'm having a lot of fun playing the game. I was kind of scared since I beat like 7 chapters in 2 days and was wondering how short this game was. So far the characters are very enoyable and Ludger being my favorite out of all them than Leia. Although, I do feel like the characters feel so slow during combat compared to Ludger. Especially, Leia!

Edited by CrazyEmotions

For me ToX2 is leagues ahead of the first one. You finally get good and memorable characters and of course the best character in the entire game,

which unfortunealy dies in chapter 11

. Not to mention all the stuff they fixed or improved from the first game like the battle system or making combos in general, it sure feels nice to get more than 10 hits on an enemy.

The things I didn't like were;

- Thanks to the debt system you'll have some money problems during the beginning of your first playthrough.
- Grade system is the same garbage as the first one and don't even get me started on the Battle Challenges, they can burn in hell for all I care.
- A lot of the Areas on the overworld aren't visited at all during the main story.
- Ex dungeon is a bit disappointing
- Switching party members can only be done in towns.
- Tedious material hunting for making new weapons, armor etc.
- Exp. points are level based (they decrease if you're higher leveled than the enemy)

And probably the thing that annoyed me the most was how blatantly overpowered the post-game bosses are. Giving them insane amounts of attack while every other stat is trash. It's like the developers are forcing you to use cheap methods like poison/burn damage or petrification to stand a chance against them. Just balance out their stats and you'll get a more enjoyable fight out of it, like they did in the 360 version of Vesperia for example. Which was the last game that did that right imo.

Anyway I gave Xillia 85%, Xillia 2 gets 91% from me, the japanese version at least. Our version gets 90% from me for two reasons;

1. A lot of DLC not coming over
2. The JP version runs a bit smoother and doesn't have graphical gltiches like this one

ZlMpeaWl.png

• Also?  Elle is <3.

I pretty much feel the exact same way about the game, I really do think that 2 was better than 1, despite the minor graphical errors and slow loading time.

Also, you can't forget to mention the character stories, those were really nice to experience, since you got to learn even more about the characters, as well as experience some nice and sad alternate timelines. And it was awesome to get to play as and have Gaius and Muzet on your party, as they were two of my favorites from 1.

Oh, and the game makes all the badass characters from 1 look like dorks in 2, so points for that. Technology inept Gaius is hilarious.

• Like 1

I just finished Xillia 2. Personally, i loved both game but Xillia 2 is a better game for me. 

1) Story

New characters are very likeable, especially for Ludger, Elle, and Julius. They all blend very smoothly with characters from Xillia 1, even when Ludger voices (outside battle) mostly only 'huh?', 'ugh!', 'yes', 'alright', 'Ellleeeee!!!', or something like that. But in some events you will hear Ludger voices in a full dialogue. Plus, later you can unlocked his voices in New Games+. 

For old characters, they still have a big role in the main story. But they got their own episodes to show how far they matured from the 1st game and that made me loved them more  :wub:  . The skits also very well done.

The main story itself a bit dark compared to the 1st game, with some predictable plot twist here and there. But it still good and memorable.

One thing that i loved but also hate is the debt feature. But the plus (i love hearing Nova's voice  :wub: ) outweight the negative.

2) Gameplay

Miles better than the 1st game. From battle to side quest. Too bad Ludger a bit overpowered and we can't removed Ludger from the party for the most part of the game though  :unsure:

3) Sound

The music and voice act are better this time

I gave Xillia 1 a 8.5/10 and Xillia 2 a 9/10. Hopefully Hearts R and Zestiria can satisfy me too  :yay:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Overall it's not a bad game, but it does try new things for Tales that I don't like in other games; or didn't feel appropriate when trying to keep the game a traditional Tales otherwise.

While I don't mind silent protagonists, Ludger didn't fit well in a party setting.  It ties together with the theme of choice, and actually letting you pick Ludger's responses.  If he had a voice and the story was just experienced from his point of view it likely would have been fine, but because they wanted make you feel like you're making decisions as Ludger, they went with the "your choices totally don't matter" route, where your choices don't actually impact anything storywise.  All the choices do is earn you additional skills and equipment from other party members and NPCs.  Any other choice you have affects little to nothing in the story, outside of the next immediate battle or dialogue, and similarly the endings you get are determined depending on what choice you make at the moment they are presented to you.  You can act like a stupid dick the entire game, then make the most selfless choice possible right at the last moment for the best ending, and it doesn't make a difference.  While on one hand I'm glad that means you wouldn't have to play through the game three different times for all endings, it's things like this that make me feel as if these choices I'm making don't matter and I may as well pick whatever's better for affinity so I can get more tools and equipment.  It feels as if the system was tacked on just for the sake of being there.

Locked parties.  Generally speaking, I just hate this.  I want the freedom to fight using who I want, when I want.  I know that there are a number of Tales games that temporarily take, replace, and otherwise remove characters from your party, but even in my free time I have to return to towns to change my party here.  Just let me change in the field; what's the big deal?  They try and use the excuse that the characters are busy, working, what-have-you, yet they seem to follow you wherever you go when you're not doing story missions.

Ludger.  I like his design, and I think if they just went with this in a more traditional manner he would have made a pretty likeable character, but he gets almost-if-not everything you'd ever need in combat.  He gets all three weapon types, a wide variety of elements, and the Chromatus.  There's hardly a reason not to use him, ever.  And what luck!  He's always going to be in your party, no matter what.  Even the EX Dungeon, a point in the game at which you can FINALLY walk Ludger-free, requires him to be in the party.  @#$%.  Characters that can do everything just feel boring to me.

Elle.  Your annoying 8 year-old little girl.  I'll admit, she has her moments (such as openly observing the fact Milla has huge knockers), but she gets on my nerves more times than not (and I'm not just talking about her "advice" in battle).

Thankfully the combat was kept more or less the same and was probably the most enjoyable thing about the game.  Gaius and Muzet were fun additions.  Skits were also good, although it felt as if there were far less than usual.  Costumes.  I'm glad the DLCs carried over from Xillia, and that they added more in the game itself rather than charging for them.  The story, while not great, got by, and I actually liked how dark it was for a change.  Also, Erston, Gentleman and King of Technological Ineptness, is genius.  I like the way Grade works in these games for the most part.  Just feels easier to me for some reason.

Overall: I think this was a solid step forward for this new team, and Zestiria is looking promising.  I look forward to seeing how they do with the series from here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I can finally post here after doing the 3 endings.

This is my personal opinion.

Xillia 1 was my second favorite game ever, I love the characters and character development and much more.

I found xillia 2 kinda.. boring UNTIL around chapter 9-10, then it gets really good, and you learn alot of depth about every character during the character episodes, much more as you go on, its very suggested not to miss any of these at the end of chapters, it was amazing, I think I prefer the second over the first one, theres a few just GREAT moments in this game and just a seriously amazing story, every character has an epic story. It really did surprise me because early/mid way I was feeling the same way you did

Amazing game.

Edited by Tomoko Kuroki