Comics Discussion Thread

Carville87

I'm currently loving the New 52 Flash comics. I decided not to buy single issues and wait for the trade hardbacks that are released periodically. One of the best versions of the Flash I have ever read. Great stuff and highly recommended :)

The new flash series is one of the stand outs from the new 52.  I'd recommend getting the 3 Geoff Johns Flash Omnibus volumes as well.

I mostly hit up the trade paperbacks or better omnibus editions for easier storage.  Aside from a fair bit of DC stuff  (Batman, Justice League etc) here's the ongoing series I'm enjoying most right and am up to dates with the trades on.

GY1814a.w300h300.jpgGN8570.w300h300.jpgGX9381a.w300h300.jpgGX4469.w300h300.jpgGX7256.w300h300.jpgGX5986.w300h300.jpgGX6885.w300h300.jpgGX7648.w300h300.jpg

• Like 3

The new flash series is one of the stand outs from the new 52.  I'd recommend getting the 3 Geoff Johns Flash Omnibus volumes as well.

I mostly hit up the trade paperbacks or better omnibus editions for easier storage.  Aside from a fair bit of DC stuff  (Batman, Justice League etc) here's the ongoing series I'm enjoying most right and am up to dates with the trades on.

GY1814a.w300h300.jpgGN8570.w300h300.jpgGX9381a.w300h300.jpgGX4469.w300h300.jpgGX7256.w300h300.jpgGX5986.w300h300.jpgGX6885.w300h300.jpgGX7648.w300h300.jpg

I've been eyeing Saga for quite some time - how is it? You reckon I should pick them up altogether or is it niche - first book determines likability?

I've been eyeing Saga for quite some time - how is it? You reckon I should pick them up altogether or is it niche - first book determines likability?

I'd recommend it to almost any comic fans though not younger kids as the humour and content gets adult. Can't see that you'd be disappointed if you bought everything out so far.

• Like 1

61s7EqhPIHL.jpg

Days of Future Past by Chris Claremont and John Byrne

May start it tonight, or tomorrow. Disappointed it only spans two issues, but I'm hoping the rest of the book has some intriguing to support the length.

It was never a long arc, but it's one of Claremont's best stories (and that's saying something, given how his X-Men run is legendary). Hope you enjoy it.

• Like 1

It was never a long arc, but it's one of Claremont's best stories (and that's saying something, given how his X-Men run is legendary). Hope you enjoy it.

Since the overall novel was around 180 pages, more or less, most of the book was filler and quite a drag compared to the later issues, which are the Days of Future Past story arc. I very much enjoyed the storyline, and prefer that version over the film, in more aspects. I was a bit apprehensive at first, seeing how long the issues were at how sound the story would be, but the everything felt organic and natural.

The other issues included in the book, aside from the enjoyable yet mediocre and ridiculous Cyclop monologue at Jean's funeral, were pretty atrocious. The dialogue and story arcs were just plain bad - straight forward.

Anyway, I've given Blood Meridian (Cormac McCarthy) a break, thus I'm going to devote the later half of today and tomorrow reading this bad boy:

41HVM1ip3SL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Daredevil: Born Again

Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Joe and Anthony Russo (Directors of Captain America : Winter Soldier) are adapting the Civil War Storyline for the big screen!!!!!! I honestly can't contain the hype so I had to type it somewhere. Lol hopefully there's at least one person here as excited as I am.

marvel-civil-war1.jpg

Edited by Dark_Tooth69
  • Like 2

Only finished the first arc of The Sandman, Vol. 1 before I had a week off and lost interest. I'm in no mood to read through the Vol. now, however I do plan on revisiting it at some stage.

511QZUPfXAL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

X-Men - God Loves, Man Kills

Chris Claremont/Brent Anderson

Just finished this arc 10 minutes back and thoroughly loved it. I wasn't in the most comfortable of positions to be reading the book (neck felt strained), so I was peering in and out of the arc at times but I digress. In any case, it seems Claremont knows how to hit potential plots with the X-Men, with this one not disappointing in the slightest. Enough of the Marvel edge, though - DC needs some of my attention, too:

9781401232597_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

The Long Halloween

Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale

I wasn't always the biggest fan of Bats, but I'm beginning to love his more renowned pieces. I've been looking forward to devouring this for quite sometime, but due to the lack of proper comic shoppes and hefty price tags on some of these novels, my monetary constraints prohibit me. Again, I digress but I'm quite moist to get onto this.

And need not worry, Nagflar, I've got a few more surprises up my sleeve ;)

Edited by scotty243
  • Like 1

walking-dead-compendium-one.jpg

The Walking Dead - Compendium One

Robert Kirkman/Charlie Adlard/Tony Moore/Cliff Rathburn

Ugh... I spent my entire weekend reading this sack of shit. Honestly, there's so many plotholes and contradictory plot/character moments that it's surreal. Despite that, I'll read Compendium Two for a good few laughs - this series can't be taken seriously.

TheInfiniteHorizon.jpg

The Infinite Horizon
Gerry Dugan/Phil Noto

Pretty mediocre - I expected much more out of this title and ended up being disappointed; Fun read, nonetheless.

sin-city-the-hard-goodbye-20050329061535

Sin City, Vol. 1 - The Hard Goodbye

Frank Miller

Miller has to be one of my favorite authors. I was expecting to just have an enjoyable reading experience from Sin City, Vol. 1, but got much more than I bargained for. Absolutely superb.

• Like 1

Also Scotty did you start Saga yet?

It's on the bucket list, but haven't had the chance to commit to it yet. I've got The Dark Phoenix Saga and Frank Miller's Ronin to be feasted upon this week, then moving on towards Frank Miller's 300 and The Dark Knight Returns, most likely. Definitely on the queue, though.

• Like 1

Anyone else on here think that DC not casting the guys from Arrow and the Flash in the movies is a big mistake??

Yes, but well, this is a comcis thread, not an "adaptations from comics" one :P .

Either way, we'll have to see what they're planning. It could mean they're not using Barry Allen nor Oliver Queen for Flash and Green Arrow. Me and a couple other people I talked to think they'll have Wally (or maybe even Bart, god help us) and Speedy/Arsenal (can't remember his name at this moment) show up instead of them, which could make sense - afterall, we're talking about the movie having an old Batman, so who knows how far into the future the damn thing is.

• Like 1

Anyone else on here think that DC not casting the guys from Arrow and the Flash in the movies is a big mistake??

I think the entire superhero portion of the film industry is a big mistake, at it's current stage. I mean, different studios own integrating IP's from each superhero league. X-Men can never enter the Marvel Universe due to Fox owning them; Andrew Garfield's Spidey can't join The Avengers because Sony owns him; etc. I've yet to indulge in Arrow or Flash but I not casting those guys is kind of a big mistake - what's the point of the series then? If Nagflar's right, and this is part of some future where GA and Flash is older, I could see that working out; otherwise, the show would be irrelevant. 

Call me a hipster, but I don't keep up with superhero films - I'd rather indulge in a good comic instead  :lol:

EDIT: While I'm here, I'll post what I've been reading the last few days:

9781607065968_500X500.jpg

The Walking Dead - Compendium Two

Kirkman/Adlard/Rathburn

I'm genuinely surprised by how much I am loving this edition. It's as if they finally added the right amount of spice to their cuisine to moisten my mouth further. Still, this doesn't excuse the atrocity that is Volumes 2-8, however I can genuinely recommend this book to someone as well as give it my certification of class. Got 3 volumes left in this Compendium then TWD shall be on hiatus until Compendium Three launches.

Edited by scotty243

Call me a hipster, but I don't keep up with superhero films - I'd rather indulge in a good comic instead  :lol:

I'm the same. I hardly go to the movies, let alone to watch Superhero movies. Last ones I watched were Dark Knight Rises, which was awful and Captain America, which I thoroughly enjoyed - which has made me not want to watch any other Marvel films because they won't measure up (the ones I've watched already are crap anyway).

I also tend to not overlook a lot of the 'liberties' they take with the characters and plots. I'm a huge Green Lantern fan, and that was one of the reasons I didn't watch the movie (and never will): no matter what they do, they'll try to adapt it differently and it'll end up being something I won't enjoy but will criticize to no end.

I'm the same. I hardly go to the movies, let alone to watch Superhero movies. Last ones I watched were Dark Knight Rises, which was awful and Captain America, which I thoroughly enjoyed - which has made me not want to watch any other Marvel films because they won't measure up (the ones I've watched already are crap anyway).

I also tend to not overlook a lot of the 'liberties' they take with the characters and plots. I'm a huge Green Lantern fan, and that was one of the reasons I didn't watch the movie (and never will): no matter what they do, they'll try to adapt it differently and it'll end up being something I won't enjoy but will criticize to no end.

I've only read WANTED by Mark Millar, but it seems every time there's a film adaptation for his work (Kick-Ass; WANTED) they're quite class. Hell, I prefer the film adaptation of WANTED over the graphic novel. Although, those might not be considered super hero films, and I could be digressing, but it's within the same adaption conversation. (Very excited for Kingsman, though  :lol:)

The one thing that irks me is Marvel dashing away Daredevil to a Netflix TV series. It's great he's getting his own show, but he's a top-tier hero, for me personally, that deserves more publicity.

I've only read WANTED by Mark Millar, but it seems every time there's a film adaptation for his work (Kick-Ass; WANTED) they're quite class. Hell, I prefer the film adaptation of WANTED over the graphic novel. Although, those might not be considered super hero films, and I could be digressing, but it's within the same adaption conversation. (Very excited for Kingsman, though  :lol:)

The one thing that irks me is Marvel dashing away Daredevil to a Netflix TV series. It's great he's getting his own show, but he's a top-tier hero, for me personally, that deserves more publicity.

Oh boy, we're on opposite sides of the spectrum then. I wanted to puke when I saw the trailer for WANTED hahahaha. Kick-Ass, on the other side, is a movie adaptation I actually enjoyed. The movie itself isn't exactly bad, and the tongue-in-cheek style of Kick-Ass was translated really well to the screenplay and to the movie itself.

I think the issue is the disastrous movie he got, which kind of ruined him in the eyes of the public eye. He's never been a hugely popular character, which is saddening, for as someone told me the other day he's one of (if not the) best written characters in comic history.