Destiny General Discussion

Parker

I'd give it a 6-7. Story matters a lot for me, and it was fucking awful.

Missions were SOOO repetive, voice acting was awful even though i love Peter Dink., leveling system after 20 is stupid and 20 is way too low for normal leveling up.

PVP is pretty good, although Control is the only fun mode.

Level design and detail are goddam amazing, and so is the music.

Gameplay is fun and addicting, but on a score base the game doesn't deserve anything higher then a 7.

7.5 isn't a low score by any means, that's in the top quarter of games. Some reviews out now, like Polygons, were released just to get it out asap, and haven't played the game extensively (Just cause it's an 'mmo' doesn't mean you should only play 60% and assume what the other 40% is like). You must remember that not everyone (like me) had extremely high expectations for Destiny, most people who do dislike it, do so because they were expecting a free roam mass effect with Diablo 3 loot collecting and Guild Wars 2 social features. Hell, even decent reviewers like Angry Joe were heavily misinformed (he went in expecting something similar to Planetside 2). At the end of the day these reviewers opinions are their own, and overhype can factor into their opinions.

And I wasn't talking about the reviewers who wanted the game to fail, I was talking about the gaming community that hasn't even played it calling it the next Aliens Colonial Marines etc

And it is now hitting 77. I didn't mean low score literally. Sorry I didn't clear that out. With games of such huge hype I usually expect the score to hit 9 and not below. Just my preference.

Personally I got my personal impression from the critics. I know the game is good. But I couldn't be convinced to play it. I'm not a fan on FPS but I play some. The ones that I think they deserve based on 2 things. Critics reviews and Friends recommendation (who I trust their taste).

I played FarCry3 and Borderlands 2 based on that. And I admit I loved them both. Both gameplay and story wise.

The game is good maybe. But bungie create a great hype balloon that's easy to get blown up. At least this is how most official reviews think.

After all hope you all guys enjoy playing it.

So, I've completed all the Strike missions and I still don't really have any great gear (I'm also only level 19) so I started playing Crucible matches. Here is what my Titan looks like now. This was taken before I started playing PvP, I'm within a gnats hair from level 20 now.

1531936_690212207760767_1310742588314211

What do your characters look like?

Parker

So, I've completed all the Strike missions and I still don't really have any great gear (I'm also only level 19) so I started playing Crucible matches. Here is what my Titan looks like now. This was taken before I started playing PvP, I'm within a gnats hair from level 20 now.

1531936_690212207760767_1310742588314211

What do your characters look like?

Parker

Nice looking Titan!

Here's my Hunter. Just got to level 22 a few minutes ago after farming the cave for a bit.

10698530_10204599339244858_6750678785773

I am planning to buy this game. Is it better on PS3 or PS4? And does it have any similarities with Borderlands, which is, btw amazing?

It's better on PS4 but the differences aren't that big.  Everything does load faster and look a lot nicer though.  Never played Borderlands so I'll let someone else answer that.

• Like 1

This is the best, most addictive 3 star game I've ever played. Every word of complaint and criticism in the reviews is both fair and valid, yet the underlying "shoot stuff in the face" gameplay is so satisfying that it's still brilliant in its own way.

I actually bought it because of the poor reviews. I should qualify that. It was the lukewarm response that got my attention, as months of pre-hype didn't affect me (I never liked Halo) but I settled down to enjoy the very public kicking the game got. We all enjoy a bit of rubbernecking at a car crash right? Well it turned out that watching enough reviews and streams made me see it was flawed, but I also got to see enough of the good stuff to see that it was worth rolling the dice on this one. So yeah, after spending a week publicly saying "this game looks shit" I ended up spending $60 for the digital version and I've sunk 40 hours into it in the last six days. No regrets.

Playing an Awoken Titan, Striker. Was going to roll Hunter but Titan looked under represented in the game, and I always go with the least common option given a choice. Incredibly fun class to play, punching and shoulder charging, with that (almost) guaranteed kill HULK SMASH super to let a bad PVP player like me grab a kill in matches now and then.

For anyone interested, it plays incredibly well on PS3, looks gorgeous and the performance has been rock solid. I went digital so that I also own the PS4 version when I get around to joining next-gen, but honestly it looks stunning even on the older hardware so I'm in no hurry to upgrade.

I think what makes the game so addictive for me is things like the bounties. There are always lots of little goals to keep me motivated. I cannot get into shooters like COD, where the only goal is to shoot all the mans and try to be the best at shooting the mans. Fun for a brief while, but as I'm average at twitch shooters (at best) I need the trail of breadcrumbs to keep me going. I even enjoy PVP in this game with the bounties because I get to focus on getting 20 headshots with a scout rifle (still amazed I pulled that off) while also getting the known rewards for completing 5 matches of X type. All gets me XP, marks with which I can buy better gear, and the chance of random loot in addition to the more transient challenge of shooting all the mans. It's good times brother.

Got a legendary helmet from the Queen's Wrath event, but should get a ton more as I have 7 tickets for her kill order mission. Bought some legendary leg armour from the Titan Vanguard, pushing me to lvl 25. I haven't been grinding for weapons or gear at all, I've just been playing the game, chasing bounties, and letting the hours pass and the loot pile up naturally. Still haven't done the last Mars strike, the raid, the weekly heroic or nightfall, or even a strike playlist. Yeah it's all reusing the same content, but I haven't even got into some of that content over 40 hours, and I'm still playing every chance I get because it's just old school "one more thing..." addictive.

Many things I hope they change, many things I hope they add, many things that need to be fixed (the non-story is an utter lost cause though). But really, if you just like to shoot things with or without other people, with a sense of progression, there is a lot of fun to be had here.

Haven't even gotten any purple weapons yet, but scored an exotic bounty (part one is to clear 5 strikes without dying) so hoping to see what I get from that questline. Might have enough strange coins for Xur's visit tomorrow so I can get an exotic helmet or such. I have a warlock at level 4 waiting to be levelled up for mat farming and play variety. I'm easily getting another 40 hours out of this before I wind things down and play it more occasionally. Haven't been in one a big multiplayer experience in the first couple of weeks like this for a long time.

• Like 1

I've been rocking Achilles too, best shader (also, high five Titan crew). You got it as a Crucible reward like me? Bought all the shaders the woman near the Speaker has, bit annoying there's no way to preview them before purchase. Sadly her stock of shaders doesn't seem to refresh, only the emblems.

Biggest downside to the Queen's legendary helmet is that it forces a purple section to the helm no matter what shader is applied. Now I dig purple armour, but it doesn't quite fit with any of the 5 shaders I have. Playing pretty princess dress-up is important to me in games like this, so small stuff like that is annoying.

Only found out recently that not all named items are equal, that the stat modifiers and bonuses are semi-random too. So it's not just about getting the exotic/legendary gun you want, but the version with the stats that most suit your playstyle. Gives the game a bit more legs in the endgame. Building up a collection of rare guns, some of which I should break down for weapon parts, but can't decide which elemental sniper I would use most, so I keep the arc sniper and the solar sniper, even though I've got a solar fusion gun that could cover that. Guess I'm just hoping for a legendary sniper so I can ditch both rares.

Still kind of sad that so many things are just reskins, in a loot game there needs to be more visual variety at the upper end beyond palette swaps. While waiting for my download of the game to complete last week, I was watching some guys stream the raid. It was the second day, and they had paused for 24 hours to grind up a level to make the final boss easier. Saw them finish, and the dude got a glass ship. Pretty nice item to get as a reward, only problem is that it looks identical in form to a ship that can be bought as a common at level 5, only with a raid-exclusive texture slapped on.

Just to let you know, you can preview shaders here: http://db.destinytracker.com/character/

Only just started properly doing Crucible today (had done one Salvage match early on, but that was it). Did better than I expected. Really only starting now cos hit my Vanguard mark limit yesterday and only have Crucible bounties left (including my Exotic gear bounty).

I'm wondering why the Glimmer cap is 25k. Or why there's even a cap.

Edited by TriggrTortoise

It's a bit rough because many of those legendaries from the vendors are 150 marks a pop, so you reach a point where you kind of have to buy something just so that any future PVP marks won't go to waste.

Anyway, I've had a very nice 24 hours in Destiny. I was only 3 coins shy of buying the armour piece from Xur, which I managed ro get by running the weekly heroic with a random from Destinylfg.net to help me past the final boss. The exotic chest piece looks great and took me to lvl 26. Went to play some salvage to show it off, and work on that mode's trophy, and I got a purple engram that turned into legendary gauntlets and a gorgeous dark blue shader that really shows off the new ae our pieces. Kind of strange to be at lvl 26, in full legendary/exotic armour, and still be stuck on blue weapons. Can't kill stuff as quick as I'd like, but damn I look good while doing so.

>Anyway, I've had a very nice 24 hours in Destiny. I was only 3 coins shy of buying the armour piece from Xur, which I managed ro get by running the weekly heroic with a random from Destinylfg.net to help me past the final boss

I surprisingly managed to solo the weekly heroic. Thought for sure that Sekrion would eat me up. The Vex backing him up were the real problem in the end.

-

Been rather lucky lately. Found a few legendary engrams, one of which gave me Truth, an Exotic Rocket Launcher. Also managed to get the last Mote of Light I needed at the last minute to buy an Exotic Engram from Xur, which netted me a Helm of Inmost Light, which I assume is what Saltyie is wearing. I believe Xur was selling this helm anyway, but at least I saved my Strange Coins. Thought about buying the Auto Rifle from him, but was one coin short.

Got Invective (Exotic Shotgun) from the Exotic bounty, and got two more Exotic bounties running (the part of the Hand Cannon one that I'm up to annoys me). Dunno why it offered me A Dubious Task again (the Invective bounty).

Had a good run with my first, and so far only, five Skirmishes with straight wins. Hardly what I ever expect.

Also, how long have loot chests been dropping large volumes of materials (been getting stacks of 9 to 11) when they contain decoherents? I don't recall this happening earlier.

2sAE2tW.jpg

ULSVmG4.jpg