NHL 2014-2015 Season Discussion

Dreakon13

C'mon, we need a bit more hockey talk around this joint.

Let's see if I can ruffle a few feathers.  I hope the Islanders tank, I hope St. Louis tanks (somehow)... and a little part of me hopes my Sabres tank.  We suck, I knew we're not getting a cup this season, we finished last overall last season... but all three top 3 1st round picks in a stacked 2015 draft would ease the pain. ;)

Edited by Dreakon13

All I know is that the Leafs will win the cup, like they do every year.

Get out of here Canadian.  What do you know about HOCKEY?

:awesome:

I've always wanted to go to Toronto actually.  It's only like 2 hours away from Buffalo, I think.

Edited by Dreakon13

Hopefully the Pens are able to do better this year without Bylsma at the helm. I'm not too sure about Rutherford as our GM though, since I thought Shero was great by bringing in Neal, Kunitz, Niskanen, Hossa, Dupuis, Sutter, and drafting Matta. Only time will tell.

Dan Bylsma wasn't the problem there.  And Jim Rutherford isn't a solution to anything unless the plan is for Pittsburgh to be in a position to draft "the next Sidney Crosby" one of these years soon.... have you seen what's left of Rutherford's Carolina teams and how frequenly they're golfing by mid-April?

I believe the Penguins will still win the Metropolitan Division this season so long as Crosby is Crosby and Malkin is Malkin -- there's just too much top-end talent there and the rest of the division leaves a lot to be desired.  But that's about as far as I'll pencil them in because their goaltending would still scare me in a short series against a sound defensive team with reasonable possession numbers and there are a couple of teams just in the Metro who I believe fit the bill.

What do you guys think of McDavid?

He'd better be worth the hype, what with the number of teams that are tanking (or will begin tanking shortly) in the hopes of drafting him.  If he isn't as good as advertised, he's going to get a lot of people fired.

I hope the leafs don't fall out of it at the end of the season as they did last year.

I don't think you have to worry about this.  They'll be out of it long before the end of the season because they just aren't a good team.  Their playoff berth two years ago was nothing short of "miraculous" and they haven't done anything to improve since then.  Not to mention, their management team is catastrophically bad.... this blog piece about their GM's failures last summer is still my favorite blog piece of all time when it comes to that particular subject.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not enough Canadians around here to keep a hockey thread going? Whats up guys. Seasons almost at an end. My favourites are the Rangers, and the Jets to take the Stanley cup.

I'm just waiting for this season to end.

Signed,

Sabres fans everywhere

On the plus side, we're one loss (or one Arizona win) away from clinching 30th in the league... which can only mean good things to come in this draft.

I'm just waiting for this season to end.

Signed,

Sabres fans everywhere

On the plus side, we're one loss (or one Arizona win) away from clinching 30th in the league... which can only mean good things to come in this draft.

Nothing wrong with a guarenteed chance at McEichel. I like the Sabres, Reinhart, and Zadarov are the future. The Myers Stafford trade was horrible though. I have a feeling Evander Kane is going to turn into Chris Stewart 2.0

Nothing wrong with a guarenteed chance at McEichel. I like the Sabres, Reinhart, and Zadarov are the future. The Myers Stafford trade was horrible though. I have a feeling Evander Kane is going to turn into Chris Stewart 2.0

With Reinhart, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pysyk and Girgensons... we have a pretty solid group of young guys going forward.  Adding a potential McEichel to the lineup would just be gravy. xD

Everything I've heard about Evander Kane is that off-ice antics aside, he leaves everything he has on the ice.  Which already puts him in a category above Stewart.  Time will tell with that though.  As far as the trade goes, I'm open to seeing how Kane pans out.  Bogosian is an absolute beast when he's healthy... and both of these guys are still pretty young.  So assuming they contribute (Bogo has already proven he can), they could be core players on this team for the long haul.

Losing Myers and the late 2015 1st really, really hurts... but you have to give to get I suppose... and Stafford was a pending UFA (and the biggest underachieving, contract-year player I've ever seen), Armia I'm not convinced will really be more than a AHL/NHL tweener (albeit I never saw much of him) and Lemiuex was apparently pretty pissy about getting drafted in the 2nd round and our GM was having trouble getting him to sign, he may have never even played a game in a Sabres uniform had we kept him.  With all this in mind, the deal became a little easier to swallow.

---

Enough about us though. xD  You a Colorado fan?

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

With Reinhart, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pysyk and Girgensons... we have a pretty solid group of young guys going forward.  Adding a potential McEichel to the lineup would just be gravy. xD

Everything I've heard about Evander Kane is that off-ice antics aside, he leaves everything he has on the ice.  Which already puts him in a category above Stewart.  Time will tell with that though.  As far as the trade goes, I'm open to seeing how Kane pans out.  Bogosian is an absolute beast when he's healthy... and both of these guys are still pretty young.  So assuming they contribute (Bogo has already proven he can), they could be core players on this team for the long haul.

Losing Myers and the late 2015 1st really, really hurts... but you have to give to get I suppose... and Stafford was a pending UFA (and the biggest underachieving, contract-year player I've ever seen), Armia I'm not convinced will really be more than a AHL/NHL tweener (albeit I never saw much of him) and Lemiuex was apparently pretty pissy about getting drafted in the 2nd round and our GM was having trouble getting him to sign, he may have never even played a game in a Sabres uniform had we kept him.  With all this in mind, the deal became a little easier to swallow.

---

Enough about us though. xD  You a Colorado fan?

Yep Avalanche fan living in leafs territory.

Season has been pretty rough, from 1st in the division with a miraculous season to last haha.

I believe we have a great core, and we need to lock them up. O'Reilly is the big one we need to sign. This off-season we need to address our teams poor defence, either through a big free agent signing or one of our D prospects showing some promise in camp.

I believe we have a great core, and we need to lock them up. O'Reilly is the big one we need to sign. This off-season we need to address our teams poor defence, either through a big free agent signing or one of our D prospects showing some promise in camp.

No offense, but I wouldn't mind snagging O'Reilly if you guys can't sign him. ;)

Go Sens Go!

Last night was a hell of a game. 19-1-2... Who would have thought Hammond would come in relief of 2 NHL goaltenders and display this magnitude of talent, composure and formidably?!

As for the rest of the league, Happy to see the Jet's getting in and L.A being out. I like to see new teams in the playoffs making a run for it rather than just the usual suspects.

I'd prefer the Pens miss this year, there's too much hype surrounding them and missing the playoffs is a dose of reality. Even the team with the "best player in the world" is going to have a rough season every now and then. Also if they miss the playoffs Edmonton gets an additional shot at McDavid.

I thought for sure this season we would see Colorado, Dallas, and San Jose making runs at the cup. What a shit show that turned out to be.

In the East I expected far more from Philly, and I'm shocked Boston isn't top 3. I didn't think Detroit would fare as well in the East, but I think they've proven that they are an elite club no matter the conference.  And I'm soooo happy about the Leafs bombing in the back half of the season!

Speaking of the Leafs, man do I ever hope the Leafs don't some how win the lottery! I would hate to see a talented kid like that go to a hockey town that shits all over their players and team in the news and on social media. Where the majority of fans are "fair weather" and bandwagon hoppers, and the popularity of making fun of the team and it's players is higher than cheering them on even in times of trouble. Toronto has the type of fan base that fans boo and throw their jersey's on the ice after a loss, then get offended when the team doesn't salute them after a win.

Nothing against true Leafs fans (I feel like a real Leafs fan is also a real hockey fan).

Sorry for the long post, but it was a long season. Hope everyone enjoys the playoffs!

• Like 1

Since my Kings got eliminated last night I'm going into casual fan mode. It's time to give Canada some love, I wouldn't mind seeing one of the Canadian teams win the Cup this year, Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg or Calgary. I remember my girlfriend's brother saying something like it's been 20 years since any Canada based team has won a Cup so maybe this may be the year for the drought to end.