A question about building materials

Andreamedis

Okay, I just started playing Minecraft a couple days ago, and I have the hang of the basics, but I've hit a bit of a snag. I'll explain: I dug a mine for building materials in the starting area, and decided to build a cobblestone building around it to protect it from monsters. Later, I put a few ammenities in it (a work table, furnace, a few chests and a bed so far) and decided to make it my permanent shelter. I even build a glass dome on top to use as an observation bubble so I could check for monsters in safety when dawn came. Well, things were going great until I went out to deal with a spider and a skeleton, and I didn't notice the creeper sneaking up on me until it was too late. I lost part of my wall, and if that crater had been any deeper, my entry tunnel would have been breached and I would have been in big trouble. So what I want to know is this: Are there any building materials that are explosion proof?

A pool/pit of lava. These are usually found deep underground,but do be careful. You want to make sure that, as you dig, you leave an easy path to get out, and carrying a good number of torches is ideal. Carrying a bit of food (steaks, porkchops, and chicken are preferable) is also a must, just in case you run into monsters, fall from heights, or end up digging or exploring down there for a while.

One more thing! Obsidian can only be mined with a diamond pick, and diamonds can be found around the same depth as these pools/pits of lava.

Edited by CandiBunni