The most agressively terrible sequel ever?

DrBloodmoney

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Finally managed to complete this game on PSV.  I'd actually never played it on PS2 so was curious to see what all the fuss was about but I've have to say for the most part this is a forgettable game.  Sly 2, Episode 1 was not too bad and I found I was enjoying the game but 2, 3 and 4 were just a chore (awful almost) and I wanted to game to be over already but still had to play all the way to episode 8.  Luckily enough episodes 5 - 8 was not as bad as the 2-4.  All that running around from mission to mission and then back to the safe house, what was the point bar just adding time to playing the game.  But worst of all is the camera, my god it is terrible and like some have said already its actually working against you.

Overall the game itself is okay, I found it a bit long, 20+ hours of small based missions but nothing is hard, just tedious IMO.  I would give the game 1/10 for difficulty and 3/10 enjoyment. 

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 13/09/2014 at 9:47 AM, closertim said:

I personally liked all 3.

Well well.  4 years later and I've just about finished sly 2 on vita and I've changed my opinion.  Sly 2 is a big pile of shit.  Recently bought a vita so thought I'd play through these again.  Played 3 first and it was ok but what the hell happened to 2. Found myself just wanting the game to end.  Going through all 8 chapters was torture.  Anyway from what I remember sly 1 was my favorite so hopefully it doesn't disappoint.  

• Like 1

? saw this topic and thought “jeez, what angry douchebag started this...”

d’oh!

man, I barely even remember playing Sly 2 now, so I guess i can add ‘forgettable’ to the list of complaints!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, closertim said:

Well well.  4 years later and I've just about finished sly 2 on vita and I've changed my opinion.  Sly 2 is a big pile of shit.  Recently bought a vita so thought I'd play through these again.  Played 3 first and it was ok but what the hell happened to 2. Found myself just wanting the game to end.  Going through all 8 chapters was torture.  Anyway from what I remember sly 1 was my favorite so hopefully it doesn't disappoint.  

You have some anger issues.

Lol no It's better than the first game and the third for that matter. Whats with these weird opinions on this site these days? Jak 2 sucks? Sly 2 sucks? its not true for either. looking back I realize I commented here before some years ago, my opinions haven't changed.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:45 PM, DarkHpokinsn said:

Lol no It's better than the first game and the third for that matter. Whats with these weird opinions on this site these days? Jak 2 sucks? Sly 2 sucks? its not true for either. looking back I realize I commented here before some years ago, my opinions haven't changed.

After playing sly 1 recently , my opinion is that it is easily the best.

1. Sly 1

2. Sly 3

3. Sly 4

4. Sly 2

• 5 months later...

I'm after 100% Sly 1 and halfway through Sly 2, and I understand the problem with this game.

Sly 1 was straightforward, more linear game, but suffers with unnecessary higher difficulty.

Sly 2 is much easier, but its open world bores me to the death (to reach some missions, I had to spent 15-30 minutes just to find the way to reach the place, mostly in chapter 3 and 4), I play my Vita on the way to work/home and it's annoying I barely reach the mission and have to quit the game.

If Sly 2 platinum wasn't common, I'd already abandon this game.

Edited by Spinosaurus Rex

• 6 months later...
On 16/05/2019 at 10:52 AM, Spinosaurus Rex said:

I'm after 100% Sly 1 and halfway through Sly 2, and I understand the problem with this game.

Sly 1 was straightforward, more linear game, but suffers with unnecessary higher difficulty.

Sly 2 is much easier, but its open world bores me to the death (to reach some missions, I had to spent 15-30 minutes just to find the way to reach the place, mostly in chapter 3 and 4), I play my Vita on the way to work/home and it's annoying I barely reach the mission and have to quit the game.

If Sly 2 platinum wasn't common, I'd already abandon this game.

I totally agree. I completed the first Sly without much thinking and thought the second one would be a breeze. Oh man. It wasn't very difficult but the game felt extremely and unnecessarily LONG for some reason. I let it drag for almost three months because I couldn't find the motivation to play it, even when I was on lunch break at work and had literally nothing else to do but stare at the ceiling.

As you said, some of the maps were very intricate and frustrating, and the most difficult part wasn't about completing the next 5-minute mission but actually finding your way to the mission marker. My favorite biome was Canada as it was mostly flat and it was so much more convenient to roam around. More than once, I also found myself completely clueless as to what to do or where to go, even though I tried to pay close attention to what the characters said.

It probably didn't help that I didn't feel engaged at all in the characters and the story. That's obviously more of a game for kids, but I still wanted the platinum as it's considered a classic.

Not having to find all bottles was a blessing, though.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Sly 1 holds up fairly well as a platformer. Sly 2, Sly 3 and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time all focused a bit too much on the mission structure. Instead of the platforming and straight forward approach the first Sly gave you, the sequels tasked you with playing the other characters and you're basically doing a bunch of stuff that felt unnecessary.

Sly 3 had those challenges which made it the hardest in the original trilogy. Sly: Thieves in Time, while the developers did a good job in making the Sly Cooper feel, had a number of technical issues, such as long loading times.

In general I think Sly Cooper was the weakest of the kid like Sony platformer franchises in the PS2 era. Jak and Daxter was a bit more straightforward, and Ratchet and Clank was a lot of fun to play.

Interesting. I don't remember having any issues with the collectiong of Sly games on the PS3. I thought they were all good for what they were. A little bit forgettable if I'm honest wit you. I thought the Ratchet collection was way better. Even the first Jak & Daxter game was memorable for me. It's not as if the Sly games were bad, but mostly that they failed to leave a lasting impression on me. The characters were fun, sly was cunning, the platforming was spot-on. But yeah, can't really say I recall much of it now.

I haven't played Thieves in Time yet, but I'm certainly open to.

9 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Don't. It stinks. 

Is it really that bad? I had the impression it was reasonably good at least. I mean, probably not something to blow my socks off, but a decent cartoony platformer at least. :hmm:

28 minutes ago, Honor_Hand said:

Is it really that bad? I had the impression it was reasonably good at least. I mean, probably not something to blow my socks off, but a decent cartoony platformer at least. :hmm:

It’s not that bad tbh. If you’re looking for a goofy fun 3D platformer to play, or more Sly in general, it’s worth a look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

It’s not that bad tbh. If you’re looking for a goofy fun 3D platformer to play, or more Sly in general, it’s worth a look.

Maybe. I’m no Sly fan, but I did enjoy Thievius Raccoonus (the only one I played prior to Thieves in Time).

My problem with 4 is that it was ceaselessly dull.

• 3 months later...

oh wow ... this thread was just what i needed. i had the feeling i was the only one who deeply despises this miserable abomination of a game but glad to know im not alone.

heres why:

part 1 (which i liked) had 5 episodes with great variation in missions. some shooting segments were annoying, some mission markers a bit hard to find kn the hub worlds, the driving missions were disgusting but here you have 8 episodes and it takes only two for the game to overstay its welcome

everything is designed in a way that you have to constantly backtrack, traverse the most insanely convoluted routes and then the game has the audacity to sometimes extend the "normal" amount of "do x 3 times" missions ro doing it six times.

the hub worlds are tedious, some mission requirements are not specified (like when you have to get the moose head you cant stealth kill the one guard who stands on the above platform all by himself, this will fail the mission requiring you to do the tedious and overly long jumping parts again)

every hub world feels like a maze, getting from a to b gets longer and more annoying from episode to episode.

they literally took the worst parts of the fiest and made thrm a million times worse ... and longer.

the game is boring in its best parts, incredibly frustrating in its worst. from the first minute on i didnt get any enjoxment oit of it at all. i just want this garbage to end.

p.s. the fourth was also fun to play (albeit with way too many collectibles) but as of now im seriously questioning whether i should even start to play the 3rd...

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

I feel my feelings were validated by this thread. I'm currently on episode 3 in this game, and the hub is so poorly designed it takes forever to get around, because a lot of the mission markers only have one way to reach them. There is no freedom in how you get to them, and the running back and forth to change characters is really tedious. The first game was so simple, enjoyable and straightforward. This is the kind of sequel that I hate, because it gets more complex for no reason, and its like no thought was put into whether or not the game is better for it. Hearing that there's 8 episodes has really taken the wind out of my sail, though, I'm already so sick of it, and I just want it to be over.

• 1 year later...

Glad I'm not the only one who found this sequel underwhelming. My standards for games are quite low, but I find this game to be a chore, unlike Sly1. I even enjoyed all the Jak games, but I have trouble forcing myself to play this game for longer than 2/3 missions at a time.