Volition Doubles Down on Silly in Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell - Hands-On Preview

MRgreen55

Remember when Saints Row was a fun knock-off of Grand Theft Auto? Those days are long gone, my friend. Ever since Saints Row: The Third, the series has gotten increasingly nuts and developer Volition is showing no signs of slowing down. Scratch that, they’re actually getting crazier.

Here’s the set-up for Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell, the forthcoming standalone expansion for Saints Row IV. I’m just gonna write it straight-up and let the lunacy speak for itself. Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell concerns an attempt to rescue the leader of the Saints from Hell after Satan has kidnapped them to marry his daughter.

Forced marriage, the underworld, Beelzebub and open-world shooting. It’s a wonder that nobody thought of it before. Oh wait yeah it is, because it’s as dumb as a doorknob. Thankfully, however, it’s also really fun.

med_gat_fly.jpg

You play as Johnny Gat and this time out you’ve got a load of new tricks up your sleeve. Before the end of the demo I played recently, I had: captained an armchair capable of spitting bullets and launching missiles, whacked demons over the head with God’s Hammer, fired imps that act like remote grenades, and released plagues of frogs and locusts.

So if you enjoyed the dildo bat, the dubstep gun and all the other strange fruits of Volition’s delightfully delirious imagination, you’ll be happy here. But if you’re one of the people on the site who’s concerned that Saints Row has gone too far, well… you’re out of luck. Volition is doubling down on the silliness.

Gat Out of Hell’s representation of the underworld feels a lot like the virtual reality Steelport from SRIV, but it’s dressed up in a suitably infernal fashion. In the city of New Hades, lightning forks from the skies, dark clouds swirl ominously, there’s a dirty great big lake of fire and whoever owns the red lightbulb shop is doing a roaring trade.

med_saints-row-gat-out-of-hell-2.jpg

To help you navigate New Hades, Gat has now been imbued with demonic energy and given wings, allowing him to swoop and soar around the city. It feels really good and is given purpose by a wide open, vertical city dotted with rooftops and ledges to explore and flying challenges to compete in. It’s the game’s stand-out feature.

The structure of Gat Out of Hell sees you taking part in missions across the city’s five islands (in total the city is about half the size of Steelport), with the aim of overthrowing each island’s lieutenant. Your ultimate goal is to fill your “Piss Off Satan” level, which progresses the story and culminates in a standoff with the horned one himself.

I’m gonna be honest with you, I didn’t do any missions. The demo was very short, perhaps 10 minutes long, and I spent most of my time causing as much carnage as possible, with the widest variety of ridiculous weapons as possible. And I had an absolute blast. Volition have got the madcap action down to a tee by this point.

med_-saints-row-gat-out-of-hell-1.jpg

So Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell is essentially more of the same but in a demonically different flavour. It’s certainly not going to win any new fans, but those who enjoy Saints Row’s sense of humour will have a hellishly good time. 

Saints Row: Gat out of Hell is a digital title and will be available on PS3 and PS4 from January 27th in the US and on January 30th in Europe. You can also pick it up as part of Saints Row: Re-Elected, the upcoming next-gen remake of Saints Row IV that comes bundled with all the game’s DLC.

source http://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-14319-Volition-Doubles-Down-on-Silly-in-Saints-Row--Gat-Out-of-Hell---Hands-On-Preview.html

• Like 1