IOS 8 Question

Sir_Bee

My dad, who is currently in Africa, wants to update his iPad 4 to IOS 8.  He cannot download it where he is, because the internet is neither fast enough, nor reliable enough.

Here is my question.  Is there any way for me to download the update here, put it on a usb stick, send that to him, and then have him connect that through Itunes allowing him to update his device?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Yup, that is possible. You just have to find the right firmware.

After he transfers it from the flash drive to where ever in his computer all he has to do is connect his iPad to iTunes, and update his iPad but instead of just simply clicking on the update button he has to hold (alt or Control on the keyboard, it might be both) it should open a window were he would then have to locate the firmware that you sent him, open, and voila!

That of course was what I used to do a few years back so I don't know if it still works. Also, I'm not sure which keys it would be if he's on a Mac.

Actually, I don't think it'll be the update button. I think he has to click on the Restore button.

Look around in google just to be sure. I can 100% confirm that it was doable, I've done it a few times in the past, but just make sure that apple hast changed it.

Edited by BasickAlphabit
  • Like 1

Yup, that is possible. You just have to find the right firmware.

After he transfers it from the flash drive to where ever in his computer all he has to do is connect his iPad to iTunes, and update his iPad but instead of just simply clicking on the update button he has to hold (alt or Control on the keyboard, it might be both) it should open a window were he would then have to locate the firmware that you sent him, open, and voila!

That of course was what I used to do a few years back so I don't know if it still works. Also, I'm not sure which keys it would be if he's on a Mac.

Actually, I don't think it'll be the update button. I think he has to click on the Restore button.

Look around in google just to be sure. I can 100% confirm that it was doable, I've done it a few times in the past, but just make sure that apple hast changed it.

I am sorry for the late response, but I got busy.  Thank you very much for your help.  I followed your advice and have sent him the a USB stick with the firmware on it.

Thanks again for your help.

You've also sent him down an upgrade path of no return. Is he able to update his apps if they're not compatible with iOS 8?

I personally notice little to no difference between iOS 7 and 8. The only noteworthy addition is Metal which improves gaming performance, but is probably not his highest priority.

Edited by ant1th3s1s