Do people here actually play games without thinking about Trophies?

JONNY-1992-_-

That might be true, but it makes no sense.

The game can be purchased for 5$ (last I checked), so only 0,02$ would be given to charity.

So assume someone really cares about the cause of the charity, they would be smarter to donate the 5$ directly.

Unless they really want to have that game too or are a bit stupid.

But have you "played" that game?

No serious gamer will look at that game and think it's worth the price.

No honest review website will give this game a decent rating, because many don't even consider it to be a game.

So if it's not worth the price and it's smarter to support the cause by funding directly, why would anyone buy the game to begin with?

There might be a few people who really thought donating 0,02$ was the smart thing and didn't think about throwing away 4;98$.

But I think they were rather few.

All valid points, but I was just saying that there is more than just the sole reason of easy trophies for buying the game. Just for the record, I haven't bought the game myself. I just felt it needed defending a little.

Yup, I only pick up games that look interesting to me or that I know I'm going to love, regardless of the trophy list.

Take Xillia 1 for instance, I bought it on impulse and never even bothered to look at the trophies until after I'd finished it 3 times. Then I decided to get the rest of the trophies as a way to prolong my time with the game since I'd basically ran out of things to do and I didn't want to stop playing it. Same with the Tekken games, since I played them so much that I used the trophy list as a way to keep playing (reach 100th Dan etc).

I even buy games, like Persona 4 Arena, that I know I'll never complete and that doesn't bother me at all. That's why I have a low completion rate, since I don't trophy hunt and if a trophy seems like a waste of time, I'm not going to get it. I'm definitely not going to pass up on a fantastic game just because the platinum is unobtainable.

Don't get me wrong though, trophies are cool to have and they give you a sense of achievement when you get a platinum but if I don't get many in a game, it's not the end of the world. I usually only go for platinums for games I really love anyway. Gaming is, and should be, about having fun, so if I no longer find it fun, I'll stop playing games.

Edited by talithacs

I'm just an OCD completionist. I play across all platforms, and to me. What matters is the game! Not the trophies. People don't seem to understand that only they look at their trophy profile, its not like their friends are gonna sit there and praise them for there work. I find it redicullous to see when people have over 100 platinums, because i know for a fact that they aren't anything worth bragging about, the smurfs 2, any random japanese title, sound shape, or aabs animals are all very common. I just don't see the worth in spending money just for trophies. For me, i play through any game, and my goal is to eventually do every single thing available in the game, from side quests in skyrim to collecting all of the treasure chests in Assassins creed 2. I do get trophies, because they are appropriate when trying to complete a game 100%. But other then that, there's no point.

• Like 1

I just don't see the worth in spending money just for trophies.

Thats the Point i tried to explain . ^_^ some People spending Money for Wellness because they feel good . Other People spending Money for games to get Trophies to feel good. I would never spend Money for expansive Wellness , but i understand that People do that. In my opinion it is fine to spend Money to feel better :). As Long ist not hurting other People it is fine !

Some of the horses in this thread are looking pretty high. :rolleyes:

I have a trophy road map pulled up for any game that goes into my console; I'm not the kind of person to spend my time on multiple playthroughs if I can help it, especially when it's not a game I'd normally replay. I enjoy going for trophies and I go out of my way to 100% each game I get into without prejudice, but I'm certainly no less of a gamer for it; gaming has been just about my sole hobby from the time I was a child. They serve to provide something fun to collect that stays on your profile to show off how much you've completed within a game, as well as (perhaps artificially) extend the life of said game.

• Like 2

Not at all. I personally just try to beat a game as fast as possible (especially if it's a game I don't like) then ignore it for a few months. I've only completed two PSN games (sad ik) and those were only because I enjoyed them so much, plus they were pretty easy.

Basically, idc about trophies right now but I will once I beat all of my PSN games.

• Like 1

I buy games I think I will be interested getting. Don't consider trophies as factor for the most part in that area.

As for getting trophies I kind of only go after the ones I think I can get, otherwise I probably don't attempt it. Unless it is a game I it is a game I  really want a platinum for and try and get it anyway regardless of how hard it might be like Okami and Drakengard 3.

Personally I do trophy hunt, my main objectives when I get a game is to enjoy it and get the plat if possible. I don't however play any of these shit indie stick men bunches of crap because you can get all 12 trophies in 30 minutes or whatever! I will only buy games I think I will enjoy, I have the plat on Terminator Salvation because I thought it might be a half decent game.

I only get games that interests me. But that doesn't stop me from looking at the trophy list!

It's fairly rare for me NOT to try for some trophies, even on my first play through. I'll usually do a second (or third) play through for the platinum, unless 1) the game ended up sucking hard or 2) I feel that it's too much of a hassle.

For a long time, the answer to this question was a resounding "no" (that is, I did not play games without thinking about trophies - that sentence has too many negatives, BTW).

But since my first child got to be 1 year old lat November (and with a 2nd on the way), I don't have the luxury of hunting trophies anymore, so it's hard to care about them too much.

Edited by starcrunch061

In a way I do, when I get a game, I check the trophy list, then I play the game and try my best to get the trophies as I play, sometimes I finish games with hardly any trophies, sometimes with all, if I don't have all trophies, I will go back and get the remaining collectables or play through on newly unlocked difficulty etc. for trophies but am still enjoying the game.

I never use a guide unless I really need to, most of the newly released games that I get for PS4 don't even have guides written here.

In a way I do, when I get a game, I check the trophy list, then I play the game and try my best to get the trophies as I play, sometimes I finish games with hardly any trophies, sometimes with all, if I don't have all trophies, I will go back and get the remaining collectables or play through on newly unlocked difficulty etc. for trophies but am still enjoying the game.

I never use a guide unless I really need to, most of the newly released games that I get for PS4 don't even have guides written here.

I'm just an OCD completionist. I play across all platforms, and to me. What matters is the game! Not the trophies. People don't seem to understand that only they look at their trophy profile, its not like their friends are gonna sit there and praise them for there work. I find it redicullous to see when people have over 100 platinums, because i know for a fact that they aren't anything worth bragging about, the smurfs 2, any random japanese title, sound shape, or aabs animals are all very common. I just don't see the worth in spending money just for trophies. For me, i play through any game, and my goal is to eventually do every single thing available in the game, from side quests in skyrim to collecting all of the treasure chests in Assassins creed 2. I do get trophies, because they are appropriate when trying to complete a game 100%. But other then that, there's no point.

I agree to an extent but I collect trophies for personal achievement and to get more houres out of a game then I usually would.

I got  a lot of friends who play video games and none of them care about the trophies.

One of them care about the story and the rest just care about Fifa and COD.

For me I don't buy games for the sake of getting a platinum if I liked a game I buy it and when I do i finished It first without worrying my self about it's trophies and when i'm done with the story i take a look at the trophies and see if I can get them and i only get the platinum of the games i'm enjoying getting it's platinum and if I got bored in the middle of the " trophy hunting " I just stop.

Edited by Xx-KingOFDark-xX

i pick games by gameplay and content and i'm a fan/sucker for anything DBZ, spider-man or x-men

I like to finish games - finish all modes and unlock everything (nostalgia)

if the trophies are in line with that i'll aim for the achievement else i have a mind to boycott ridiculous trophies

Usually I give the trophy list a look before starting the game to be aware of the trophies I can easily obtain during my first playthrough. After the first one I'll take a look at possible new playthroughs and random cleanup for other trophies. If the game sucks I won't give it another playthrough though.

With my previous account I got 90% of Terminator Salvation just because it was one of my first PS3 games. Four years later I started hunting trophies in addition of casual gaming.