Do people here actually play games without thinking about Trophies?

JONNY-1992-_-

Yeah, usually when I play old PS3 games that were released before trophy support existed, older generation of games, and games for my 3DS.

I'm just curious to know if all people on this website care about is Trophies or do you play games to have fun and not care if you don't achieve a Trophy. I've been looking at these forums for a while now and it's alright for people to like achieving Trophies however I'm surprised some people actually make a decisions on purchasing a game based on it's Trophies. Is it me but I think that's a bit extreme to do. Why can't people enjoy games without Trophies like video games used to be?

While I do enjoy trophy hunting, you're definately preaching to the choir. I've actually been saying the same thing for a very long time. I can't stand to see people either not play good games because of it being a hard/impossible platinum or not having one at all AND people playing games just for an easy platinum. Seriously, I just refuse to believe that this many gamers are into Hannah Montana (Miley Cyrus...ewww) and licensed kiddie Disney games.

I can wholeheartedly say that my decision to play Terminator Salvation was due to being a huge fan of the cover based TPS genre. In fact, for awhie I avoided it because I assumed it was a FPS until I actually stumbled across some footage of it. The same goes for all my other "easy" platinums...they are all from my favorite genres of gaming.

Edited by merciful84

Trophies do not at all influence my decision to buy a big game I've been looking forward to, but I will still perfect it.

However, for smaller games and random games that become available for me through PlayStation Plus that I never normally would've bought, trophies are the thing that will influence my decision to download.

It always depends on two things for me: if i bought the game and the game itself.

If i bought the game, i will play it even if the trophies are insanly hard. If it's a PS+ freebie or a f2p game, i do check the trophy list beforehand and sometimes avoid playing the game, specially those evil f2p games... i can take time-consuming 100%s but if the game's boring as eff then i'll avoid it.

while i don't really care about getting the platinum on every game i play (just check my profile) i do enjoy earning them. but if a game peeks my interest and does not have trophies i will still play it. (uncharted assassin's creed 1) are great examples. no trophies but i enjoy them and frequently revisit them.

I'm a mix; If there's a game I want, I'm going to buy it regardless of its trophies. On the other hand, if there's a game I'm on the fence about, a ridiculous trophy list is going to dissuade me from checking out the game (i.e., Dive Kick). Completion is pretty important to me, so I'm not going to play games with terrible trophy lists (defeat 304930 players in online PvP, beat the game in two hours on ULTRA SUPER HARD MAX CRAZY difficulty) in my already limited free time. 

I have never bought a game just for the trophies though i get paid tomorrow and im about to make myself a liar. im going to buy the NCIS game cause the trophy list seems pretty easy. all stuff you'd do during a mission not side quests or amazing feats. though from what i hear. being able to stand the game long enough to platnum it is in itself an amazing feat. we shall have to see

Edited by funboy1246

I have to say I love both. Admittedly though, I'm nowhere near as involved with trophies as I used to be. I mainly leaderboard hunt and play for skill in my games now, or just to have fun. However, if I like the game enough, or am finding a certain amount of enjoyment, you can guarantee I will go for the plat. There are some trophies, however, I am just unwilling to go for unless I just love the game that much. Week long grind trophies as an example. I won't say I've never made exceptions to this, as I have. Like if I think it would be a good achievement, or a good trophy set to add to my list. I will also admit I bought a few games exclusively for the trophies. (Sonic The Fighters and Sonic Adventure as an example, even though I played for leaderboards on SA right after the 100%) That was almost a year ago though, now I won't buy any game unless I know I'll enjoy it as well. As for the enjoyment factor, I find I cannot enjoy a game as much as I would if it didn't have trophies. I love the death out of some games, but the bonus of having those jingles pop up and the achievement right in the upper right of your screen is oh so exquisite. That is not to say I "can't" enjoy it, just not as much as knowing I have something else to work toward in the game, which is mainly what trophies are for me. p.s: I know this post was a little over the place, sorry about that.

Edited by Nepgear2

I rarely think about trophies. At the end of the day, it's all about the fun factor for me. In my opinion, trophies is just another way to waste time (no disrespect or anything!). If their's a platinum that isn't too hard to get, I'll likely try to snag it though. Most of them are too much trouble to get for me though.   

On the other hand, I do understand the point of trophies, replay value and all. I just think that the game itself should be more important.

Personally when I buy a new game, that game must be the one that I like.I am not buying racing,sport and fighting games because I am only interested in adventure and RPG games. Next, it must be possible to obtain every trophy in that game. I avoid all games that have impossible to get online multiplayer trophies because of servers shut down.

I used to buy whatever games I see in the shop during PS2 era and I regretted buying some of them. Thanks to the power of internet (gaming site and youtube), I become more careful when spending my money. I only have 17 PS3 games until now, but I dont regret spending money on each of them.

So, I actually play games I really like and attached to. I dont care whether the game has trophies or not. I am still replaying them eventhough I had plat or 100% them. :yay:

I buy games that I think I will like then I always play through the story on Normal difficulty or something like that to just enjoy the game. Personally, it would ruin a game for me if I had a trophy guide (especially a video guide) right from the start. I feel like it would really take away from the story and overall experience. After I play through the game once, I start collecting trophies for the satisfaction of completing the challenges associated with them and to get the most out of the games I love.

I'm surprised some people actually make a decisions on purchasing a game based on it's Trophies. Is it me but I think that's a bit extreme to do. Why can't people enjoy games without Trophies like video games used to be?

I buy games just for trophies, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

• Like 2

It really depends, now and then I may buy a really cheap game if I was already somewhat interested in it, and mainly go for trophies, but most of the games I play only for trophies are from PS+.

Then sometimes I don't feel like playing for trohpies, or play games where trophies are a secondary thing (at the start..), and later go for plat/100%. The only exception is any game with multiplayer, I usually either leave it for when I finish the game, or if the game is old and there's some risk of server closure, I jump into multiplayer right at the start and going just for trophies (this is part of my philosophy of when playing a multiplayer game that I don't have any intention to be good at, or enjoy, that I should do it as quickly as possible, since I will probably be boosting, and I hate boosters when I want to enjoy a game, so I just want to do it as quickly possible to avoid screwing up other people enjoyment).

I find it very difficult to play without thinking about trophies.

I try to just play through for fun first and then see if anything needs doing afterwards but it's difficult.

I always fear that there'll be a trophy I missed but was extremely close to getting, or if there's a collectible trophy that I could've gotten out the way.

When trying to pick a game to play I always think about what trophies it has and whether I'd need a collectibles guide with me.

It puts me off playing so much that I often just don't play at all.

It's really difficult to get out of that train of thinking.

I'm both really.. i'll play/buy games for fun and if i enjoyed it enough, i'll try go for platinum because that'll make the game last longer for me while enjoying the hunt for trophies. BUT then there are times usually when i haven't played for trophies in a while and i'll go crazy getting as many as i can because i would get enjoyment from that and then all of a sudden stop again. For me it's on and off whether i play for trophies, but i'll NEVER play a full length game just for trophies if i don't enjoy it.