Do people here actually play games without thinking about Trophies?

JONNY-1992-_-

Here is a response I posted on another gaming forum to a similar question.  Note, THIS is a trophy focused site, so you may be asking the wrong group - people on trophy sites tend to be more interested in trophies than if you were on a more general gaming site.  

I have always been a completionist in games, and trophies give me a way to map that progress. Also, the trophies help me to challenge myself to be a better gamer, for example games where you have stunt trophies or trophies for playing in a different way than you might be comfortable with. In shooters I'm typically a pistol/shotgun load, so if there are trophies that make me use assault rifles or sniper rifles, it expands me a bit. Also I think about games like Mass Effect or Dragon Age where you have to play as different classes. I would normally never play as a warrior, but it can end up being really fun. smile.png

Having said all that, I never had any platinums at all until a year ago, despite having a PS3 since 2009. I got my first platinum off TWD in Dec 2013, more than four years later, and that was a no brainer platinum, but then I decided to try wrapping up a few other games. Now I have 10, which is still not a lot, but I think that is pretty good for a "casual" gamer over a year's time. 

I have never played a game just because of the trophies - they still need to be games that I'm interested in - but now I do take the extra time and push myself to do everything the game has to offer. I think that is the intent of platinums, beyond the competitiveness of gamers in general.

• Like 2

I always check a trophy list before buying a game, but it usually doesn't factor into my decision much. For example, I bought Catherine knowing full well I would never get platinum. I have never refused to buy a game that I'm interested in because of a difficult trophy list. I just like to know before buying something if I should play with the platinum as an end goal or not, or if I should assume from the get go that I won't be 100%ing a game. If there are missable trophies, I look at a guide while playing.

That said, while pursuing a difficult platinum (Rayman Legends) or experiencing stress at work, I'll buy a game with an easy trophy list that I wouldn't otherwise buy because the stress relief of an easy platinum is fantastic. Again though, I'll only buy easy games I'm at least somewhat interested in, like ones based off of Disney movies I liked.

I really don't care about trophies. If I get them, woohoo and if I don't, whatever. Trophies don't make one better than another, like some people on here think.

You have 35 platinums.  That means you must care about trophies at least a little bit.  ;)  Don't take that as a criticism, just something to consider.  There are very few games where the platinum doesn't require some extra effort, multiple playthroughs, or grinding of some kind.  You would have less than 10 if you really didn't care at all.

I care about the game first... Trophies are great to collect. I like it because of the sound effect that pops up... trophies does look nice but majority of the time I care about the game first. I want to be interested and enjoy the story more than trophy collecting. If i beaten a game..  I would go for collecting lots of trophies or just trying to aim for a plat, if I am in the mood for it.

Here is a response I posted on another gaming forum to a similar question.  Note, THIS is a trophy focused site, so you may be asking the wrong group - people on trophy sites tend to be more interested in trophies than if you were on a more general gaming site.  

I have never played a game just because of the trophies - they still need to be games that I'm interested in - but now I do take the extra time and push myself to do everything the game has to offer. I think that is the intent of platinums, beyond the competitiveness of gamers in general.[/size][/font][/color][/background]

I agree with this point of view. IMO the platinum offers some extra motivation, for me specifically, so I can improve myself on the games I play to check if I can do it.

BR,

• Like 1

For me personally it goes like this:

I will play a game because I'm interested, nowadays I will tend to go for the trophies too, this extends my playtime and make my sessions on the game more productive in some cases. This is basically an example for buying any retail game. With a free PS+ game that I'm interested in the previous statement applies but if I'm not really interested in the game then it will fall upon the trophies to decide if I will play. 

I found that if my desire to play a game is lower than the desire to get trophies in that game it can make for a not so fun experience, unless it's quick and painless. Example: 10% interested in the general game and 90% in it for the trophies.

And yes many people here don't really care for trophies but since it's a trophy related site, they are the minority. 

Edited by Ham

I just play the game and I'm surprised or happy if I got one :)

Sometimes I look at the trophy list to check what I have to do for a trophy.
Some things are fun like in Red Dead Redemtion. You have to put a lady on the rail and... yes that was fun :D (A friend told me of that)
I've got one platinum trophie because it was easy and fun to me but the rest is meaningless to me :)

So your not alone :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'll only hunt for the trophies 100% or plat when I found it easy for me to plat or 100% this or that game, or if I really likes this or that specific game I will try to 100% it on every aspect, in game percentage or trophies percentage. I never bought a game just for the trophies before.

the 100% or platinum trophy to some of the games out there got something to do with the completion rate of the game it self, like the story, collectibles and endings, so in these games even none trophy hunters are actually gonna Plat or 100% them without been notice.

Depends. There have been some games that have made me forget entirely about trophies on my first playthrough (some of my favourite games to date - Uncharted 3, inFAMOUS 2) but more often than not I will take into account whether or not the game has trophies before I purchase it. I know it's bad, but getting a sense of achievement and evidence is a great feeling - people can check my trophy list and know what games I love, you know? It's a great way to say you've played and liked specific games.

I play games for fun, of course it's nice to have 100%. It gives me a feeling that I actually have completed them. I find it rather silly that some people actually ´´buy`` Trophies instead games. >_<* Not to mention about people paying someone to earn them Trophies. But each on their own way...

I'll just play games I like or I think I'll like them. If I like them I first concentrate on the story and after I finished the game I normally do the trophies. For me it's kind a like a challenge to complete a game 100% which I like. For me trophies also count to complete a game 100% XP. But if I don't like a game or if I know I won't get 100% it doesn't matter to me. I got some games which I will never get 100% and this doesn't bother me :).