What Are You Listening To?

parker-94

Gorillaz- Highway (Under Construction)

Honestly, I've been liking this track a lot recently and it truly is one of the highlights of the D-Sides album. As with the trend of some other Gorillaz songs using highways as a title or based on them such as M1 A1 or 68 State, Highway is a pretty interesting track to me. Pretty peaceful track and I think this song is about Damon metaphorically building a highway to connect to his fans from America. I could probably see why this was excluded from Demon Days though, the message doesn't really fit in with the Demon Days theme with its sound being far too peaceful and not chaotic like pretty much everything on Demon Days excluding DARE and Don't Get Lost In Heaven/Demon Days, plus the song itself would be hard to implement except as an interlude track perhaps. I think this makes it within my top 5 songs from D-Sides though, the other 4 being Spitting Out The Demons, Hongkongaton, We Are Happy Landfill, and 68 State. :) D Sides really had a lot of songs where it felt like it was about Damon himself or messages that pertained to him such as Rockit being his satirical mocking of the music industry, Hong Kong being about Damon's personal desire to see a future where Hong Kong is truly free and not ruled or influenced by China anymore, Spitting Out The Demons being about getting over his former addictions to drugs from his Blur days or just about getting over bad habits (Has multiple interpretations, but those 2 seem to be the most logical.), and so on. Probably explains why all of these never made it to the Demon Days full release since Demon Days wouldn't really work well without its recurring theme.

Edited by Stuart Pot