What Are You Listening To?

parker-94

No better thing to play on the last normal day of the fiftieth anniversary of 1969... and let me tell ya--though I'm not sure whether it's exactly what Townshend had in mind--it makes for great background music when you're grinding Perfect Dodges in Spider-Man.... 

Now, whether I'm a Tommy man or a Quadrophenia man depends entirely on my mood, but they're both borderline masterpieces in their own way. As you may be able to gather simply by visiting my profile, Tommy does at least get the definitive edge in the album art department. One day, I'm gonna devise a way to wallpaper my living room in its introspective blue effulgence.

I still prefer the original to any of the live versions. Eradicating its many pockets of acoustic rock in favour of a near all-electric sound is doing it a disservice, in my view... nor is the material always a great match for Daltrey's later, more hammy vocal stylings. The comparatively sparse production of the album feels a bit more like something a psychosomatic pinball wizard might concoct inside his head.

Anyways, Keith Moon's work on "Underture" is some of the greatest drumming ever recorded, and sounds beyond celestial even on my meager sound system. Suffice to say we, as a species, are not worthy.