What Are You Listening To?

parker-94

The first album by A Forest of Stars. A band suggested by @SpaghettiGrabsy (thanks for the recommendation, BTW). Not bad ?

You were right about the vocal performances. They're certainly... interesting ? Even more spoken-word style than Oranssi Pazuzu. But in some parts the vocalist sounds like an animal, some other parts are hard to describe at all. The guy definitely pours the soul into every word. The female vocalist brings some contrast to songs, which is a nice touch.

Wasn't very impressed by the music itself in the beginning. But as the album went on towards the middle, It kept surprising me. They kept adding more sounds and instruments to the mix that I didn't expect to hear. At the end I just had a smile on my face. Wasn't disappointed at all.

IMO, the album is meant to be played in it's entirety without stopping, that's why I'm sharing the whole thing instead of one of 5 tracks.

I'll listen to one more album to see how their music progressed and developed afterwards. After that I'm going back to Oranssi Pazuzu. ?

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Alderriz said:

The first album by A Forest of Stars. A band suggested by @SpaghettiGrabsy (thanks for the recommendation, BTW). Not bad 1f642.png

You were right about the vocal performances. They're certainly... interesting 1f604.png Even more spoken-word style than Oranssi Pazuzu. But in some parts the vocalist sounds like an animal, some other parts are hard to describe at all. The guy definitely pours the soul into every word. The female vocalist brings some contrast to songs, which is a nice touch.

Wasn't very impressed by the music itself in the beginning. But as the album went on towards the middle, It kept surprising me. They kept adding more sounds and instruments to the mix that I didn't expect to hear. At the end I just had a smile on my face. Wasn't disappointed at all.

IMO, the album is meant to be played in it's entirety without stopping, that's why I'm sharing the whole thing instead of one of 5 tracks.

I'll listen to one more album to see how their music progressed and developed afterwards. After that I'm going back to Oranssi Pazuzu. 1f642.png

I don't believe I've heard that one in it's entirety, I'll have to look into it. I've been listening to their most recent album, which is pretty good in my opinion.

Yeah, they're certainly an acquired taste, that's for sure.

Anyway, if I'm posting here then I should probably post what I'm listening to. I don't know what to call this. Rock? Metal? Progressive Post Cthulhucore?

• Like 1

So I just discovered this really awesome psychedelic rock band a few days ago called Sleepy Sun. I haven’t fully dived in to a proper listening session yet where I listen to a couple albums front-to-back (I usually save that for a nice long gaming sesh where I’m running around grinding collectibles or something), but I have been bouncing all over YouTube checking out random songs, and I’m quite fucking impressed with these guys!

Here’s a sample of a song called “Maui Tears” they performed live on KEXP. Their live sound is absolutely stunning, it sounds just as good if not better than the studio version:

I mean check out at guitar solo at 6:36 if you’re lazy and just want to jump in for a few seconds and hear what these guys can do. It’s some epic stuff! ?

I’m almost getting Robert Plant vibes from the lead singer.. anyone else?

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1

On the subject of Dark Ambient Jazz, here's this. It's more ambient than jazz, I'll admit. I'd recommend listening to the whole album in one sitting, as it tells a story through sound and song titles alone, which is quite a feat. I'll post just this one though, for simplicity's sake.

• Like 1