What Are You Listening To?

parker-94

22 hours ago, AsheRebel said:

Was surprised to wake up to see Eminem's new album ( Music to be murdered by - Side B ) added on spotify. Huge Eminem Fan so listened to album twice now1f604.png Loved most of the songs. In short, call 999 or 911 in usa to report mass murder by this music ( yes I said that? )

Loved the disses on Mumble rappers, twitter cancel culture snowflakes, racist idiots, machine gun kelley of course lol, donald trump and mike pence ?? etc. So far loving gnat the most and also how he mentioned covid was good in my opinion, ik very controversial but to each their own, in my opinion we shouldn't be offended by such sensitive topics in music, tv shows, movies or even games 

lyricism in gnat is amazing, love the puns/play on words, my fav three lines were:

1) Ain't nothin' you say can ever Trump (Nah), mic, pencil get killed (Yeah)

2) Here to get your goat little bit of sodium, it's assault (A salt)

3) Which is what separates my flow from theirs, so that no one gets even close to this to pose a risk to me
So vocalistically (What?), that's social distancing (Yeah)

Enjoy Gnat by Eminem on Spotify

I’m a big Stan myself and Eminem is the only artist I can think of who I’ve been listening to every year since the late 90s/early 2000s. It’s amazing that he’s still putting out music and consistently topping the charts and dominating sales worldwide. And the fact he put out 2 AOTY quality projects this year is incredible.

Music to be Murdered By was a fantastic project, so it’s hard to believe that Side B is even better. But I honestly think it’s some of the best work he’s done in a decade. His old, smoother flow of the 2000s is back, the production is amazing and ballsy, the wordplay is so densely layered it’s impossible to unpack even after half a dozen listens at this point, and in terms of thematic and sonic consistency, it’s one of his best albums. In my opinion there’s not a SINGLE skippable song on the entire project, and from front-to-back it just flows so well. Even some of his greatest albums had a dud here and there, but on Side B I can’t find fault with a single track.

There’s no doubt Eminem has had some bumps in the road over the last few years, and he’s had pretty rough treatment by the ignorant Twitter finger generation who are uninformed and have little respect for the greats that came before them. So while Kamikaze and MTBMB (Side A) were both excellent projects, they both had an angry sound about them as he brutally lashed out at his critics and the state of the world we find ourselves in these days. There’s no doubt his anger inspired him to put pen to paper once again, but to some people his anger can be off putting.

So with that in mind, it’s amazing how relaxed he sounds on MTBMB (Side B). He honestly sounds more confident than he has in years, and while he still assaults his critics with some scathing bars (as always), the entire thing has a much more playful feel. Like Shady has finally made peace with the fact he will always have haters and doubters, and that nothing they say can ever take away from his incredible legacy.

Eminem is undoubtedly one of the greatest, most successful, and most consistent artists of all time, let alone one of the greatest rappers. His longevity alone is astounding, and there’s not a single other artist in the world who debuted in the 90s, who is still making as much noise and selling as many records as he is.

As a huge Stan myself, I have to say it is just amazing to get the sense that he’s once again just having fun in the studio and enjoying his craft. ?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I’m a big Stan myself and Eminem is the only artist I can think of who I’ve been listening to every year since the late 90s/early 2000s. It’s amazing that he’s still putting out music and consistently topping the charts and dominating sales worldwide. And the fact he put out 2 AOTY quality projects this year is incredible.

Music to be Murdered By was a fantastic project, so it’s hard to believe that Side B is even better. But I honestly think it’s some of the best work he’s done in a decade. His old, smoother flow of the 2000s is back, the production is amazing and ballsy, the wordplay is so densely layered it’s impossible to unpack even after half a dozen listens at this point, and in terms of thematic and sonic consistency, it’s one of his best albums. In my opinion there’s not a SINGLE skippable song on the entire project, and from front-to-back it just flows so well. Even some of his greatest albums had a dud here and there, but on Side B I can’t find fault with a single track.

There’s no doubt Eminem has had some bumps in the road over the last few years, and he’s had pretty rough treatment by the ignorant Twitter finger generation who are uninformed and have little respect for the greats that came before them. So while Kamikaze and MTBMB (Side A) were both excellent projects, they both had an angry sound about them as he brutally lashed out at his critics and the state of the world we find ourselves in these days. There’s no doubt his anger inspired him to put pen to paper once again, but to some people his anger can be off putting.

So with that in mind, it’s amazing how relaxed he sounds on MTBMB (Side B). He honestly sounds more confident than he has in years, and while he still assaults his critics with some scathing bars (as always), the entire thing has a much more playful feel. Like Shady has finally made peace with the fact he will always have haters and doubters, and that nothing they say can ever take away from his incredible legacy.

Eminem is undoubtedly one of the greatest, most successful, and most consistent artists of all time, let alone one of the greatest rappers. His longevity alone is astounding, and there’s not a single other artist in the world who debuted in the 90s, who is still making as much noise and selling as many records as he is.

As a huge Stan myself, I have to say it is just amazing to get the sense that he’s once again just having fun in the studio and enjoying his craft. 1f60a.png

Spot on mate! Proud stan myself and it's crazy indeed to see how he has been pumping out amazing music to this day, i mean technically you can say in 4 different decades! Great to see a fellow Stan! :)  

I agree, Personally I preferred the songs from original Music to be Murdered By more than Side B, listened to them so much lol I was in his 1% top listener according to Spotify wrap up which is awesome. However if I had to pick top 3 songs from side B, they would be (in no order):

Gnat, Alfred's Theme & Black Magic

The opening verse of Tone Deaf definitely made me laugh?

I can see Reddit making theory threads about Eminem and Skylar Grey again ?

So damn true, all songs went in my various Eminem playlists, they are perfect. I agree love seeing his classic flow again, been listening to Slim Shady LP a lot lately, lol that stuff won't fly by in this day as the twitter cancel culture snowflakes will "cancel him more than once a day" - a reference to "These Demons" ;)

He rightfully calls out haters in his songs and interviews for not understanding his lyricism, it's witty af and the play on words is rap god tier ;) but it goes over there head completely. I noticed several new from Side B today & they blow my mind everytime. To this day when I hear the original Music to Be Murdered by , I occasionally pick on a new pun or reference, it's crazy xD 

I agree KamiKaze and the original Music to be murdered by defo had a very serious tone but I loved the disses, specially The Ringer, Not A Like, No Regrets & Lock it up! Honestly, a lot of his past stuff is relatable to an extent so always considered him an idle how he over came his doubters and is his own man. His music definitely helped me through my own rough times & seeing him more mentally healthy is defo great to see like you said, you can sense it in his tone in Side B

You hit the nail on the head! Most people tend to ignore the fact despite everything, he has been the most consistent musician. Most people only consider how many records someone sold over all or how many awards someone has, they tend to forget he has been consistent overall and sure most people don't like Revival but that did way better than most wanna be mumble rappers can dream of and credit to him for releasing something different

Good to see him overcome his demons, 12 years sober and finally  enjoying his craft properly , well said. Also the fact he drops albums quietly these days shows how much confidence he has in himself again, defo good signs. Curious which songs you enjoyed the most from Side B :) 

Edited by AsheRebel
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, AsheRebel said:

Curious which songs you enjoyed the most from Side B :) 

Great post man, I agree with what you said!

It seems like my favourite songs change by the hour, but so far I’d say this is my top 5 or 6 (in no particular order):

Alfred’s Theme

This track has a very unique and frankly, quite a ballsy beat. Eminem produced it himself. Though the wordplay and lyricism is front and centre on this song. It fits perfectly with the whole Alfred Hitchcock/Music to be Murdered By horror theme, and also features some hilarious bars, like the references to the Billie Eilish interview she did earlier this year where she said Em “freaked the fuck out me” as a kid, or his ongoing beef with Diddy.

Book of Rhymes

This is by far one of the smoothest tracks on the album for me. His flow is godly smooth on this track and just sounds so damn good. This is one of the certified bangers on the album, so all the people whining that you can’t bump Eminem in the whip or at a party can go check this track out. My favourite is the part with the Demonic voice overlapping his vocals when he says:

“I will tear new behinds out of rivals, even your idols, I don’t care
It's Music to Be Murdered By, so Bon Iver can swallow a fuckin' Ja Rule bobblehead
And die slow like Alzheimer's (Ha-ha)

Lone sniper, I hold a microphone like a loaded rifle

My dome’s brighter, all I spit from my skull’s fire

All that’s missing is a motorcycle with the chrome wires, spoke tires

And y’all are flow biters

So I don’t gotta explain why they call me your ghostwriter”

The way he delivers this just sounds so angry and intense, the energy is amazing! I love how he references holding the mic like a loaded rifle, because honestly that flurry of bars at the end practically sounds like it’s being spat out of the end of a machine gun.

These Demons

This track is amazing. My first half dozen times or so listening to this one it flew right under my radar. It didn’t really stand out to me at first, but on the next listen it just all of a sudden hit me in the ass with the force of a freight train. The beat is fire, MAJ’s hook is incredibly catchy the more I hear it, especially the line about “all these demons coming for my neck” as it fits so well with the scathing commentary on this song. There’s some meaningful stuff in the lyrics here, but my personal favourite are the opening bars.

“I want you to change, but don’t change

I want you to grow up, but don’t age

I want the rage, but don’t get too angry

I want the new, but the old Shady

I want you to say what they won't say (Yeah)
Just don't go too far, but go cray
I want you to almost lose it, man
They keep movin' the goalpost, don't they?”

These opening lines remind me so much of Premonition from Side A where he talks about the ludicrous hypocrisy of his biggest critics, and the impossible task of trying to appease a massive international fan base of all ages and tastes. He is saying that no matter what he does or what kind of music he makes, there will always be a portion of his fans and critics that will hate on it no matter what. Nothing he does will ever be good enough.

That’s also why I like this Side B so much, it feels like he’s finally made peace with that fact and just doesn’t care anymore. He’s making music for himself once again and it shows.

Zeus

This is one of the more serious songs on the album and I love it the more I listen to it. The beat is really moody and ominous, and the subject matter is really dark and introspective. This song contains a ton of name drops, whether it’s dissing Tekashi 69, MGK, or Snoop Dogg, or my favourite part of the track where he talks about longevity, falling from grace, and the lack of loyalty from fans and industry insiders these days. He warns artists like Drake, Future, and Migos that they should enjoy the peaks of their career because their time in the spotlight won’t last, and the public and the music industry will turn on them eventually after they finish milking them for all they’re worth.

He also talks a bit about BLM and the bars where says:

“And all we want is racial equality

R.I.P. Laquan McDonald, Trayvon, and Breonna

Atatiana, Rayshard and Dominique

Eric Garner and Rodney King

No, we can’t get along til these white motherfuckin cops

Who keep murderin blacks are off the streets”

It’s virtually impossible to describe how good this part sounds to my ears, the way it flows out of his mouth is just buttery smooth and reminds me a lot of his verse in ‘Spend Some Time.’ All I can do is tell people to listen to it, because godamn!

Discombobulated

This song was an instant classic for me the very first time I heard it. It’s fucking brilliant, and sounds like something that came directly off Relapse or Relapse:Refill. The bars and wordplay are so damn good, especially that part during the outro where the beat changes and he just starts rhyming like a madman. What a fitting track to close the album with!

Gnat

Hearing Eminem rap about COVID-19 over a trap beat is probably the most 2020 thing ever. ?  This song has a great vibe though! The part where the trumpets come in as he starts rapping really fast sounds incredible. And that’s saying a lot, as normally Em’s lightning fast rap songs like Godzilla and Rap God etc. rank among my least favourite tracks. I’ve always preferred his smoother older flow, but the speedy bars sound incredible over that beat switch at the end of the song.

You've probably seen the meme. This is the full version of the song. The link to the original without the cow is also in the description.

I don't know Polish, but even for me as a Russian guy it's clear that this song went hard ?. Sooo many swear words.

Ain't it hard
To find a new start
When you don't really want
To change
Waste away
Clone your moments
Every day you know
Things will stay the same
This place
So hollow
Seems like a prison cell to me
A bed of lies