Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shell_cup

Are Performance Tests as Hard as I Think they are?

18 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

So recently i've been trying to complete Transistor, but i've had some trouble completing the performance tests.  I'm currently on test 5 and have been unable to complete it.  

Did anyone else have trouble completing these tests.  If so, do you have any tips?  I know that the functions provided are random but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and beyond!

I felt like they were harder than I expected based on the completion percentage, but not as bad as it initially seemed.  I believe for #5 one of the keys for me was getting the switch function to turn an enemy friendly.  You can also pair it with spark to get up to 3 enemies at once which is a huge help.

I also had good luck with using something like ping outside of turn to take care of all the haircuts before they got too close.

If it makes you feel better I felt 5 was one of the hardest tests.

Get the skill that turns enemies on your side. Give it the upgrades that make it 1. Usable in turn recovery and 2. shoot 3 projectiles. Mash that shit. Use turn to avoid getting hit too much and do some damage on your own.

For that specific one my best method (with knowledge how that enemy works) was Bounce with Purge + Bounce, ping for haircuts and just to be safe I had mask but never needed it. Also I had help on passive which made it quicker to finish it sometimes.

Play it safe, kill priority goes to haircuts and whenever possible hit the men. Although keeping distance from haircut explosion radius takes priority over damaging the men.

The worst thing in the Perf. Tests are random Functions. I was replaying it until I had Tap or Bounce at the beggining.

There is not so much Functions in the game so few tries and You will have them at the beggining.

Than You need to have luck and upgrade Bounce with Crash + Tap. I have Bounce with Crash + Breach.

Another best combo is Tap with Void + Jaunt and just spam it the whole time.

Performance Tests can be PIA if you don't have luck with good functions at the beggining.

Few last tests have like 14 waves or more so it's a must to have a good combo.

They are much harder than the rest of the game, but they are not THAT hard. There are many more harder games :)

Try to get Jaunt (A) + Spark (U) + Purge (U). That skill alone will take care of most enemies (including the 6 Young Ladies room) and makes Performance( ) significantly more survivable. Once you unlock Tap and Void, all facets of the game become a cakewalk.

The build I used for my second play-through, as well as Agency( ) and Performance( ) to make mincemeat of all comers -

• Get + Bounce + Breach. Get provides battlefield control by pulling your enemies in a group towards you and sets them up for Void. Bounce strikes up to 5 at a time. Breach extends Get's reach, as well as pulling through walls.

• Void + Get + Flood. Void stacks 3 times for 375% damage. Flood lays down AoE of 100 DPS for 4.5 seconds. Get creates a gravity well that holds them in Flood and allows you to escape at the end of the Turn. Alternately, use Crash instead of Get for 1.6 secs of weakness and stun-lock as a setup for Tap.

• Tap + Ping + Void. Tap hits for Void-enhanced AoE and Lifesteal damage. Ping reduces the Turn cost so you can Tap up to 3 times following your Void stack. Void adds 150% damage to Tap. Nothing survives 3 x Void + 2 x Tap let alone the full 3 x stack, except Young Lady (teleports after 1 hit) and she's easily handled by Jaunt.

• Jaunt + Spark + Purge. Use Jaunt while Turn is on cooldown to kite from enemies. Spark tosses out AoE damage behind you. More importantly, Spark triggers 6 Purges to fire for DPS damage + 70% slow, chipping down high-health enemies, killing low-health enemies and taking out pesky Haircuts thrown by Men, which are the only real threat in Performance.

• Bounce as Passive. After decking out your 4 Actives on a full MEM bar, you've only got 2 points left for Passives. Bounce is easily the most useful. 
It will take some time to unlock the full build, but simpler variants work fine as skills unlock. The core Active skills of Get, Void, Tap and Jaunt will see you through most encounters. Add Bounce, Get, Ping and Spark as Upgrades when they unlock. Finally, toss in Breach, Flood, Void and Purge. That said, make Jaunt + Spark + Purge the top priority. 

For Agency( ) and the final boss battle, drop the Get Active - it seems to miss for no apparent reason and when it does, you've just wasted your Voids and Taps on thin air. Instead, use Jaunt to close the distance for Void and Tap and replace Get with Mask + Mask for 250% next hit damage on Unmask. Slot Jaunt into Passive for 120% planning during Turn. The Copy's 1000-2000HP life-bar melts every time. Jaunt between Turns to flee to the opposite side of the map and you won't take a single hit.

For 10 Limiters (12 MEM removed), use Get, Void, Tap + Ping, Jaunt + Spark + Purge as Actives, with Bounce and Crash as Passives. Same end result, but takes a few more Turns to mop up.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I've tried some combos and these made the game a piece of cake

1 - Crash() -> Get() + Bounce() or Breach()  (4 or 5 memories)

2 - Void() -> Tap() + Purge (10 memories)

3 - Mask()  (1 memory)

4 (optional) - Cull() -> Load() (7 memories)

the passives I suggest are Bounce(), Spark(), Jaunt(), Breach(), Load() or Get()

another set-up that I've liked is 

5 - Spark() -> Mask() + Any other function

Crash with Get + Bounce its the best crowd control in the game (that I've tried), you could use breach for range, but it shoots in a straight line. With bounce, although you have limited range, if you hit the first enemy, the others will be caught in the "vortex", making it easier to hit all enemies in the vicinity without aiming.

Void with tap and purge is the awesomeness of the awesomeness. It simply heals you while it hurts the enemies, you just need to spam this and voila, rarely should you worry about being in a tough spot... but those cheerleader guys can spoil your fun. Take care with the dogs, in later rounds they have a passive crash ability making you dizzy for some precious seconds.

Mask can buy you some time to prepare while in the middle of the battle.

cull with load is one of the greatest damage dealers in the game (but if you're using limiters you won't even get close to use this as 4th ability)

Spark with mask makes you invisible for some precious seconds, dealing damage to enemies and a lot of times avoiding being detected and hit by enemies. the time that you're visible while spamming this is short, but a well placed spark with mask can save some precious life.

the passives are optional, but bounce can save you from some tough times.

Bounce for shield

Spark for copies that divert enemies

Jaunt for faster turn recovery

breach for a little more turn

Load to spam random bombs in the battlefield (while crowd controlling it could explode some stuff with a lot of enemies around)

Get can help to attract those annoying cells (if you're using limiters, this will help a lot)

Urgh.  Speed and Performance tests ruined an otherwise enjoyable chill game.  I was loving it until I had to deal with that cheap crap.

Urgh.  Speed and Performance tests ruined an otherwise enjoyable chill game.  I was loving it until I had to deal with that cheap crap.

Well, to be fair, those tests have nothing to do with the plot and don't prevent you from finishing the game or reading every bio entry.  They only lock a couple of songs and the platinum.  The game actually is very "chill" if you aren't trying for the platinum.  If what you mean is that you were hoping for an easy plat, I'm not sure that's quite the same as "ruined the game".  Just saying.  ;)

Well, to be fair, those tests have nothing to do with the plot and don't prevent you from finishing the game or reading every bio entry.  They only lock a couple of songs and the platinum.  The game actually is very "chill" if you aren't trying for the platinum.  If what you mean is that you were hoping for an easy plat, I'm not sure that's quite the same as "ruined the game".  Just saying.   ;)

I understand your point.  For some playing through the campaign is the game, for me it is getting the plat.  I wasn't expecting an easy plat, rather a quick and fun plat.  I don't get much enjoyment out of failing 99/100 and then calling myself successful in the end.

In moments of negativity people can exaggerate, which is what I did.  Its a fun campaign and unique playstyle, I would still recommend it.  

I understand your point.  For some playing through the campaign is the game, for me it is getting the plat.  I wasn't expecting an easy plat, rather a quick and fun plat.  I don't get much enjoyment out of failing 99/100 and then calling myself successful in the end.

In moments of negativity people can exaggerate, which is what I did.  Its a fun campaign and unique playstyle, I would still recommend it.  

Well, I can say that I am not a great gamer and typically struggle a lot with Nightmare/Expert modes in games (usually they are my barrier to plat).  However, I was able to finish up the tests on Transistor.  It really comes down to your skill build - I watched a couple of youtube videos and had a couple "ah hah" moments, the one where you have to beat the double for example.  Don't give up - trust me, as a slow and steady gamer with minimal twitch reflexes, that you can do it!  The thread on here about best combos was incredibly helpful.

I really enjoyed the test rooms.  The game encourages you to experiment with functions in various ways.  It reveals more story (character) information when you use functions in different (primary, upgrade and passive) slots, and the test rooms encourage you to explore the strength and weakness of different combinations by playing around with them yourself.  It also exposes you to functions you don't have yet on your first playthrough, and it helped me decide which ones to prioritise long before I was able to choose them.  I could have made some bad upgrade decisions if it wasn't for those rooms.

I got the platinum tonight and I didn't think it was that hard.  Challenging in places yes, but hard, no.

I find that in performance test once you gain functions and lost them in battle you would not have them again after the wave. So make sure you are good in the beginning that you would not lose a function. You would more than likely lose a function that has an upgrade attached when defeated out of 4. Use your functions with 4 mem I place half of them in the passive slot I would have help load mask and bounce in my passive slots and work around what I gain in the upcoming waves. It's patience and priority really take the time to figure out combos and backstabs. Once you have multiples of the same function use them wisely.

Performance tests were the hardest part of this game for me. I got stuck on test 7 and had to basically jump in once every day or two for the past month to try to beat it. What ended up working for me was a (flood)/(switch)/(spark) active function with (mask), (get), (bounce), and (load) in passive slots. (load) was particularly important for me because it allows you to place packets around the stage before you interact with the access points. If you can use those to destroy the first part of the wave, then use your (switch) function to keep the enemies fighting each other instead of you, you've got a chance. 

Just throwing a tip for anyone trying to plat this game in the future, Void() with Tap() and Purge() upgrade trivializes EVERYTHING that the game throws at you, including the final performance test, without having to use Turn().

For the last Performance test, I found Load() with Void() and Jaunt() useful, just spam self detonating packets everywhere with extra damage, then use Turn() to plan some moves and drop some more packets then use Mask() to run away if you get stuck. Tap() and Bounce() for Passives as you get 50% more health and a shield which pops up a lot. Switch() helps to buy time, especially when being chased by Fetches or Jerks which can be hard to dodge. Obviously it depends on luck as to what order you get these in. Always keep as many functions full as possible as if you die you'll lose one function but if you only have one left you'll have to start again from scratch if you die. 

Oh, and the main game is about a 2-3, 4 with all the limiters on, and 4-5 for finishing the performance tests, the other tests are pretty easy.

Edited by SyBob12

On 30.10.2016 at 3:58 AM, jaehyun1009 said:

Just throwing a tip for anyone trying to plat this game in the future, Void() with Tap() and Purge() upgrade trivializes EVERYTHING that the game throws at you, including the final performance test, without having to use Turn().

Thanks for the tip, this helped me clear the last performance test and get the plat 👍