Your thoughts on Shadow of Mordor?

I feel this game is a lot like Arkham Asylum for me in more ways than one.  The combat obviously is similar if not smoother.  Also like AA I loved the gameplay but was very disappointed by the boss fights.  I very much enjoyed the nemesis system and hunting down warchiefs or anyone else lucky enough to kill me.  Nobody makes me bleed my own blood.  A good start to a new series, though I hope they plan to go outside of Mordor for a sequel.

• 3 months later...

The game is amazing, the campaign was awesome and it shows alot of mechanics that you see in LOTR or Hobbit movies, which makes this game, the best in the world of Middle Earth.

In my personal opinion there is only 1 problem with this game: It's too small! 

• 3 months later...

It handled awkwardly and was incredibly shallow in terms of gameplay. Side missions are complete fluff just to pad gameplay time. I loved the arkham series. This I found to be an uninteresting grind fest of same old same old main missions to side missions to parts of the side missions. Why people like this is beyond me. I was looking forward to playing this. The platinum was grueling due to my distaste for the entire thing. It's also extremely glitchy considering how long it's been out. Guess they cared more about charging for DLC than making it run better. Didn't like anything about it tbh. I don't think it looked particularly good either.

• 1 month later...

It handled awkwardly and was incredibly shallow in terms of gameplay. Side missions are complete fluff just to pad gameplay time. I loved the arkham series. This I found to be an uninteresting grind fest of same old same old main missions to side missions to parts of the side missions. Why people like this is beyond me. I was looking forward to playing this. The platinum was grueling due to my distaste for the entire thing. It's also extremely glitchy considering how long it's been out. Guess they cared more about charging for DLC than making it run better. Didn't like anything about it tbh. I don't think it looked particularly good either.

Wait so this game's side missions are fluff and its gameplay shallow but Arkham's usually uninspired side content is amazingly deep?

C'mon man. Give me a break.

Pretty sure it was clear in the books that Mordor stayed a wasteland after the Last Alliance, but it's been a little bit since I've read the books. I can already see that I'm going to have to keep telling myself to not pick it apart and just play, because I'm worse than a Harry Potter fanatic when it comes to Lord of the Rings lore. :P

Huh, weird, I remember making a reply to this months back yet it didn't show the quote. I'm sorry for the bother but the messed up code really bothered me.

Mordor wasn't always a wasteland, no. Lore wise there is like a millennium between Last Alliance and the events of the game, Sauron hasn't been in Mordor for a long, long, long time.

Also in terms of concept, this game is what Assassin's Creed would be if they stuck with the AC1 concepts rather than ditching them. Its all about planning out how to take out those warchiefs, manipulating the hierarchy, etc, with dynamic, emergent investigations and exploiting their weaknesses. Past that basic concept, the combat is more Arkham than anything. It takes elements from other, well renowned games and puts its own spin on it combined with its own very unique mechanics.

Edited by HaSoOoN-MHD

• 1 month later...

Wait so this game's side missions are fluff and its gameplay shallow but Arkham's usually uninspired side content is amazingly deep?

C'mon man. Give me a break.

Huh, weird, I remember making a reply to this months back yet it didn't show the quote. I'm sorry for the bother but the messed up code really bothered me.

Mordor wasn't always a wasteland, no. Lore wise there is like a millennium between Last Alliance and the events of the game, Sauron hasn't been in Mordor for a long, long, long time.

Also in terms of concept, this game is what Assassin's Creed would be if they stuck with the AC1 concepts rather than ditching them. Its all about planning out how to take out those warchiefs, manipulating the hierarchy, etc, with dynamic, emergent investigations and exploiting their weaknesses. Past that basic concept, the combat is more Arkham than anything. It takes elements from other, well renowned games and puts its own spin on it combined with its own very unique mechanics.

Arkham series at least had a story to side missions. This was an incredibly boring shallow game. Side missions were just padding. Riddler trophies for example are paddling but at least a chunk of them are puzzles that took effort to do.