Are you a trophy hunter, or a completionist?

Grample_Gust

I'm a little bored, so i figured I'd create an interesting topic. Trophy hunters are people who play games until they reach either their platinum or the 100% mark. And usually once completed they toss it away and never look back.  Meanwhile, completionists play games to their fullest while collecting everything there is to collect, beating everything there is to beat, and completing everything possible within the game. Whether it be all treasure chests in the assassins creed series to all of the time-trials in sly cooper. Usually across all gaming platforms. I also have a small question for trophy hunters. Would you still play games as much if there weren't trophies? And if so, why?

For me, im a completionist, and i play across all platforms. My goal as a completionist is to simply see what the game has to offer, and to play it to the fullest. I'm also a purist, meaning that i play through games by myself without using exploits, hacks, or even collectable guides (to an extent). And it honestly increases the satisfaction of finding a secret tenfold. I typically stick to games that i find enjoyable, and ive been thankfully lucky enough to never experience a game that is truly terrible. :D

I wrote this when I was 14, since then I've become a jaded adult and have completed some truly terrible games. FRICK YOU OLD ME. USING GUIDES AND EXPLOITS IS THE ONLY REASON I GOT THE FALL GUYS PLATINUM.

Edited by Grample_Gust
  • Like 4

Trophies give me incentive to find collectibles and do every side thing there is to do, if a trophy requires it. Otherwise I couldn't be assed to do these sort of things unless I really, really liked the game. So I guess to answer your question, I'm more of a trophy hunter. I just try to plat most games I play and not much more. I generally move on from there, only getting DLC trophies for the 100% if it's DLC I really want to play of if it happens to be a good price.

• Like 3

In between the two. I like having 100% but I wont go and purchase DLC just to get to 100%. Only if I like the game. I am not too worried about my completion rate percentage. It has helped me become a better gamer though. Making me play on harder difficulties and sometimes making me go though the game multiple times. Just for the DMC plat I had to beat it 5 or 6 times.  

I'm more like a completionist. But thats more when I play jrpgs, with other games i don't care that much about the trophies. But when I enjoy a game a lot then I will go for the patinum most of the time like Gravity Rush.

Edited by XR-NOFEAR17
  • Like 1

Trophies help motivate me to do more exploring in the games I enjoy, but they're not a huge draw to keep me playing a game I don't enjoy.

To put it simply, I need a compatible wheel for Grid, so it's going to stay at 1 trophy until I get one.

Shadow of the Colossus isn't currently my kind of game, so I may pick it up in a year or two to see if I can finally finish off that first Colossus, but I don't see myself finishing that one.

Game of Thrones was awesome, so I made sure to get all the trophies because I wanted to see the different storyline options.

Doki Doki was cute, so I finished it, but if it was a longer game I wouldn't have, because the bugs were annoying.

I don't see myself getting a Platinum in Gran Turismo 5. I love the game, but I am not skilled enough to do everything, and it's frustrating rather than fun to try.

Trophies help motivate me to do more exploring in the games I enjoy, but they're not a huge draw to keep me playing a game I don't enjoy.

To put it simply, I need a compatible wheel for Grid, so it's going to stay at 1 trophy until I get one.

Shadow of the Colossus isn't currently my kind of game, so I may pick it up in a year or two to see if I can finally finish off that first Colossus, but I don't see myself finishing that one.

Game of Thrones was awesome, so I made sure to get all the trophies because I wanted to see the different storyline options.

Doki Doki was cute, so I finished it, but if it was a longer game I wouldn't have, because the bugs were annoying.

I don't see myself getting a Platinum in Gran Turismo 5. I love the game, but I am not skilled enough to do everything, and it's frustrating rather than fun to try.

You should really, really play shadow of the colossus, if you haven't even finished the first one, well, that means you've only played for about 5 minutes, which isn't exactly a good way to decide whether or not to keep going, the colossus are huge and unique, and the story, especially the twisted and super surprising ending. Are worth playing this game alone if you ask me. Not to mention its very eerie and its always nerve-racking to make your way to the next colossus, not knowing what it will be. Go in blind with no walkthroughs for top enjoyment.

• Like 1

i'm a trophy hunting scrub also.....................i just started to go for trophies as of late.............i have alot of games with 50% to 65% trophy completion and am try'in to plat on most of them...........but being 44 yrs old the hand/eye cordination AIN'T what it used to be.....

Hmmm I guess I fall into both.

I go for all trophies/100% in all games. Although if there's something in the game that doesn't have trophies linked to it....I usually pass it up.

I never play a game just cause it's easy trophies....however I have avoided one or two games due to the trophies being impossible/beyond my skill level.

I suppose OCD kicks in for me as a game that is 0% on my list or has a plat but not 100% just looks odd to me.

You should really, really play shadow of the colossus, if you haven't even finished the first one, well, that means you've only played for about 5 minutes, which isn't exactly a good way to decide whether or not to keep going, the colossus are huge and unique, and the story, especially the twisted and super surprising ending. Are worth playing this game alone if you ask me. Not to mention its very eerie and its always nerve-racking to make your way to the next colossus, not knowing what it will be. Go in blind with no walkthroughs for top enjoyment.

Actually, the issue is I spent an hour and a half on the first Colossus and gave up in frustration. I got to him, but the only thing I can do consistently after that is get stepped on. I can't figure out how to climb up to the point I need to get to do anything.

The controls are not intuitive for me. I intend to go back after ICO and try again. Should hopefully be easier to figure out what button does what. I did find a guide to walk me through the buttons for ICO so I can beat off the shadow things. Before that, all I could do was climb and jump! ICO *is* my style, though, so it is worth figuring out - I just need to have enough time to think. (So now is not good, but maybe Thanksgiving break).

To tell you the truth I don't know if I'm a Hunter or a completionist but I do want my Gaming list to be at a high percentage b/c it makes me feel better and more high ranked. But OCD does come into play when it comes to gaming but not that bad as before. If you check my games there a few where I don't have the motivation to play them because they are tedious and boring lol. The struggle on getting a plat for game where you find it uninteresting is so hard! But I'll manage. But yeah, you should enjoy the games no matter what. When I'm really into a game I forget there's even trophies when they pop up on my screen and I'm like "Whoah" lol ^_^

Edited by ChampionPrince

Even though i had those annoying DLC trophy packs on my Vita first game,

i still try to go higher as possible xD, so don't have a reason to worry about 100% anymore

as long i can go higher than 90% lolz, im a trophy hunter but only play decent games worth of my time though.

Edited by Nelson_Otaku

Hmmm I guess I fall into both.

I go for all trophies/100% in all games. Although if there's something in the game that doesn't have trophies linked to it....I usually pass it up.

I never play a game just cause it's easy trophies....however I have avoided one or two games due to the trophies being impossible/beyond my skill level.

I suppose OCD kicks in for me as a game that is 0% on my list or has a plat but not 100% just looks odd to me.

Well, i guess i didnt really get my point across, trophies are part of the completionist part. But if you dont want to do something unless trophies are involved, then you are definitely a trophy hunter.

Looks like im the lone completionist, in case any of you were wondering, trophies are part of being a completionist, whether it is DLC, multiplayer, or random single player junk. A completionist does it all. Mainly because his OCD tells him to.

• Like 1

Looks like im the lone completionist, in case any of you were wondering, trophies are part of being a completionist, whether it is DLC, multiplayer, or random single player junk. A completionist does it all. Mainly because his OCD tells him to.

You're not the only one. I try to do everything on a game as well. It's part of the fun of a good game. I only skip that on two occasions: when I'm just checking out a game and end up not liking it or when something's just insanely difficult and the rewards aren't worth it/don't exist.

Sometimes I'm unable to get online trophies not because I don't want to get them (even though I hate playing online) but because the game's online community died out. Like when I tried playing AC Brotherhood last year.

Hunter I guess, but we can all agree wihen the completionist bug sneaks up, she can be annoying as hell.  That's why I don't really collect, collect, for a trophy.  It's more about pride for me and obviously the fun factor.  To each it's own though I understand both sides of the spectrum

You're not the only one. I try to do everything on a game as well. It's part of the fun of a good game. I only skip that on two occasions: when I'm just checking out a game and end up not liking it or when something's just insanely difficult and the rewards aren't worth it/don't exist.

Sometimes I'm unable to get online trophies not because I don't want to get them (even though I hate playing online) but because the game's online community died out. Like when I tried playing AC Brotherhood last year.

I did AC:Brotherhood two months ago, it will literally take you about 5 hours if you do it right. Thats why this site has so many boosting sessions, join one! But keep in mind that you should probably read up on how boosting works before joining, and also write down a list of all the extremely easy bonuses that everyone thinks are the spawn of satan. You'll have the delicious platinum in no-time.

Edited by shananiganyo
  • Like 1

Mostly a hunter. There's a lot of games that once I got that platinum, I lost all desire to play them. But there's plenty of games that I have played a lot even after I completed them. And yes I would still play even if games didn't have trophies, been playing since Atari, all platforms and up until ps3, we never had trophies, so yes, I would still play

Edited by SoapMacTavish222

Certainly a trophy hunter, I usually collect trophies just as a gaming hobby but if the 100% is in close reach then it's my number one priority. Sometimes if a game has no trophies I don't bother with it as much as other games with trophies, although I wouldn't play a game I didn't like just for trophies (COUGHCOUGHfalloutnewvegasCOUGH).

Was a completionist on the Xbox but now I own a Playstation ill have to say trophy hunter I do love my completions but going for 100% on some games that I loved has made me hate them and never go back to, so I go for as much trophies as possible in one game then if i get bored or im done I move on.