Are you a trophy hunter, or a completionist?

Grample_Gust

I'm more of a trophy hunter, but I'm also a bit of a completionist. But I only complete games completely if I really love the game, like I did with 'The Last of Us', 'Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater', etc. I use to complete most games before trophies were even available to hunt after, and obtain. I consider my trophy hunter, but I don't play games just for their trophies, or decide to buy a game whether the has easy trophies, or not. As for some trophies, they offer me a challenge, and I do like a challenge once awhile, so after them I go to, and try to obtain them. Even if a platinum is unobtainable, i still would go for the trophies I can still collect, if I want to. I guess I sometimes enjoy knowing that I got trophies that other people have trouble obtaining, or trophies people can't get anymore. And I sure love it when I get myself some really rare trophies! I'm currently going for really rare trophies, and, they aren't easy to obtain, that's for sure!

Combination of the two.

Trophies give you that sense of quick accomplishment ( :platinum: feels pretty good,  :gold: too sometimes). Typically gives you the extra push to try games on harder difficulties. Would of never done Uncharted 3 on Crushing or Darksiders on Apoc if it wasn't for the golds. It's always nice, however, to accept the challenge the said trophy provides. Fighting all boxers in Fight Now on Fight Night Champion or completing Arcade with every character in Playstation All-Stars, being prime examples. Just something the average gamer wouldn't really try to do.

On the other side though, on games that I really enjoy; The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Assassin's Creed 3, Assassin's Creed 4, etc., I actually tried to complete the game as much as possible. Still occasionally get on to do the big of clean up I need. Then again, I haven't had my Playstation for too long. 

We have 2 very different definitions of what a trophy hunter and completionist is. My definitions:

Trophy hunter - Gamer that likes to pursue trophies/achievements.

This doesn't necessarily mean that they have to Platinum/100% EVERY game that they play, but just actively pursue the trophies in the game.

Completionist - Gamer who likes to do or experience EVERYTHING a game has to offer

This can be in terms of trophies or this can be in terms of everything else there is to do on the game beside the trophies. Its not just limited to one aspect.

With that said, I'm definately a trophy hunter. I don't go in trying to hunt every animal in the woods to get to the "great white buffalo" but decide which animal I come across that i'm going to hunt, so the thrill of it all doesn't get lost. If those "kills" draw her out...great, if I'm satisfied with the ones I've manage to get...that's great too. You get what I'm trying to say here? I feel, if I approach gaming as just trying to get as many platinums as possible or even the ones for the games I only want to actually play, it'll stop being fun because its no longer about the enjoyment of the game itself but about getting a trophy...

We have 2 very different definitions of what a trophy hunter and completionist is. My definitions:

Trophy hunter - Gamer that likes to pursue trophies/achievements.

This doesn't necessarily mean that they have to Platinum/100% EVERY game that they play, but just actively pursue the trophies in the game.

Completionist - Gamer who likes to do or experience EVERYTHING a game has to offer

This can be in terms of trophies or this can be in terms of everything else there is to do on the game beside the trophies. Its not just limited to one aspect.

With that said, I'm definately a trophy hunter. I don't go in trying to hunt every animal in the woods to get to the "great white buffalo" but decide which animal I come across that i'm going to hunt, so the thrill of it all doesn't get lost. If those "kills" draw her out...great, if I'm satisfied with the ones I've manage to get...that's great too. You get what I'm trying to say here? I feel, if I approach gaming as just trying to get as many platinums as possible or even the ones for the games I only want to actually play, it'll stop being fun because its no longer about the enjoyment of the game itself but about getting a trophy...

Based on this version of the difference which is how I would see it, I would definitely say I am a trophy hunter. I will go for 100% but never bother to do stuff that isn't required for the trophies!!

tortured completionist but dang, too many games too little time

purist too so i am compelled to do things honestly without shortcuts or aids * sigh *

im disturbed, i know

Edited by jujmint

I'm neither a real trophy hunter nor a 100% completionist.

now I love trophies, I try to have a high average (still only 72%...~~), but I will not buy game just for trophy/average sake. i won't try to hard to have a plat/100% on a game that I don't love (like dead space stop at 89%). meanwhile i can do things that aren't required for plat, like I spend hours to find all the item for the dolls in tales of graces f even if I don't need them for plat.

If it's a jrpg, if it has no bugs, and if it has no dlc I'm going for plat and 100% completion (if a YLOD doesn't stop me..... SO4 T-T), if I really enjoy the game I can do it even for a non-jrpg game (like saint row 4). and I love collect things like the shards in infamous, so i don't now.... maybe I'm just weird ^^"

Interesting. Exist a huge variety of people, with that a huge variety of trophy hunters, completionist and people that play just one game a year, and even people that play games just cause don't have a sh*t to do. I am the type of gamer that play all the games. Even if i know that i will not like the game or have a hard difficult level trophies, i will play it. Just because my definition of trophy hunter is: Someone that play all the games and try to get the maximum amount of trophies possible. Well, i am beginning a Youtuber carrer ( amateur at the least now, i don't know in the future :/ ) so i like to record all type of games, even if is just 3 episodes/videos, whatever, but we have so many games to play with PS Plus and more the games we get on our own, i don't have time to waste trying to get platinum in every game i play, because some are just terrible, we have to play like 100 hours or more, and is an annoying game that you can't even play 1 hour xD

So i aim for the completion too of course, but when i begin a game i see what i think i can get from the game, and with the time i try to understand if i can get the platinum with some more hours, if the game it's cool and i enjoy it normally i play it and don't give up, but if i see that sh*t is getting serious and i have to play much moreeee or i am not appreciating the game, well delete when reach a goal of easy trophies or something. Download other. Play it.

At the moment i have like 30 games in PS3 HDD + PS Vita memory card + Physical Games, and i have more... almost 100 to play, that are 75 digital versions...

So now i will ask you what is better for a trophy hunter/completionist...

Do you prefer to get a Ultra Rare Platinum ( ex...GTA4, cause i played before... ) and waste some nice hours on that... i don't know now, but more than 50 hours maybe. Or other example: TOM Blitz, just a 100% game ( no platinum ) where a trophy IS "Play 100 Hours"

Resuming: 50/100 Hours - 1 Platinum or 100% game ( 1 gold, some silvers and some more bronzes trophies )

OR

In 100 Hours play like 4 games and get for example 4 platinum trophies...

Or even play 1 Game that takes 50 hours but that you enjoy, or something like that...

Resuming: 50/100 Hours: 4/5 Platinum Trophies ( Easy as Sly or something ) or 1/2 Platinum Trophies ( games of the moment, recent games, you know... or games that you realllllly like like Uncharted or Cod or whatever )

This is strange... is problematic xD

My opinion, everyone should see what's better for themselves. Conciliate their time, study time, work time, sports time, bla bla and see what they can do with that, for me, try every game, and get the maximum amount of trophies. That's my job like trophy hunter. Completion comes normally with the time.

As you can tell by my PSN trophy card, I'm neither. I just like playing videogames. But here's the thing, if I really enjoy a game then obviously I'm going to spend more time on it and replay it. That is when I will try to unlock everything. That's how I got the God of War 3 platinum, I had no intention of getting it at all but when I decided to replay it I thought I might as well increase the difficulty and try to find all the items rather than just rush through it for fun like I did first time and if you do that, you unlock most of the trophies anyway. 

So yeah, if I really like the game then I go for all trophies. But the game has to be really good and also the trophies need to be challenging not just time consuming. I can't stand anything like "Get character to level 99".

• 2 weeks later...

I guess...I'm somewhat of both?  I play the game, and if I enjoy it enough to really dig in I'll completely do it...same says for trophies, I don't want to sit there and pursue after multiple endings in a game for them in something that just doesn't interest me (i.e. I'm trying for Fairy Fencer F now...3 ends...).  Completions...the only game I truly love and haven't gone for the full thing is The Legend of the Dragoon, and that's because of the danged Stardust in the game, plus the items that can be gotten early...I want to try for it again, though.  Played that game like 4 times now...and it's 4 discs long, lol...

I´m a completionist, that´s for sure, i mean almost all the games i lke and play, i always go for the 100% of the game, with a few exceptions like fighting games that need amazing level of skill on them to 100%, and i´m not very good at them (like Street Fighter IV), but i still play them because they are good; or competitive multiplayers sections of the games, in this case i only go for trophies.

I can´t say that i´m not a trophy hunter too, because i go for trophies as well, and i hate when online servers close and i can´t platinum them on my profile, especially when i did the offline part with extremely hard challenges, like MotorStorm: Pacific Rift that i beated all 128 original developer ghosts in Time Attack, but did not had the chance to platinum because the servers closed, but i still finished 100% of the offline part of the game.

And for the record, i love when they put very hard platinums on the games, this way is much more satisfaying when i get the platinum on them, like Shadow of the collossus, Metal Gear solid 2, Ninja Gaiden sigma 2, etc.

And hate when they put very easy platinum for a game that have lots of stuff to do, just to attract audience (trophy hunters).

I'm a bit of both.

I only platinum games that are special to me, if I'm willing to devote a large amount of time in attaining the platinum, and/or if they're easy. My main priority with any game is to have fun and enjoy it to its fullest potential; I don't buy games for trophies. If I can get the platinum along the way, that's just a bonus. I enjoy earning trophies, especially if some require a large amount of work, as those especially make me feel satisfied, but I primarily buy games to have fun.

I guess I'm a bit of both.

It entirely depends on the game. If I'm really enjoying a game after getting the plat, and there's still more things to do, then I'll play until I've done all of the things.

Ultimately, I play a game until it stops being fun. Sometimes to the point where I get all of the things, sometimes it's as soon as I get the plat, sometimes it's once I beat the game, and other times it's once I decide to drop a game because it's aggressively unfun.

In the case of games without plats, it's the same situation. If I like a game, I'll keep playing it until I stop having fun with it, or once I get all of the things.

Both - I'd never refuse to play a game i like the look of just because it looks like an impossible plat for me, but I do try to 100% as many of my games as i can, i've been slowly increasing my completion percentage for years, but it has never stopped me adding new games whenever i see one i like