Are you a trophy hunter, or a completionist?

Grample_Gust

Depends on the game. The very rare new experiences, the Uber fantastic games, I’ll play just for the joy of it even if I have all the trophies snd even if I have completed everything it has to offer.

This gen it’s been true of one game - Astro Bot Rescue Mission.

For every other game I am usually bored by the time I get the platinum or 100%. Most plays require you to go through the story and most other things and the final couple of trophies are grinds.

Would I still game as much without trophies? Maybe No, because I enjoy the trophy challenges, then again maybe yes because I tend not to start games at all if they have a lot of buggy trophies or ones I won’t enjoy such as speed runs. But this latter is mainly because of a lack of true innovation these days and the fact I’ve been gaming for 3 decades...

Edited by thefourfoldroot

An old-fashioned completionist, through and through. Since long before achievement systems existed, I've been trying to squeeze out every drop of content from games. I've had a lifelong compulsion not to leave anything unfinished, and I usually succeed.

I sort of wish I was wired differently—then I'd have time to play more games, and wouldn't have a backlog of over 40 titles.

1 hour ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

An old-fashioned completionist, through and through. Since long before achievement systems existed, I've been trying to squeeze out every drop of content from games. I've had a lifelong compulsion not to leave anything unfinished, and I usually succeed.

I sort of wish I was wired differently—then I'd have time to play more games, and wouldn't have a backlog of over 40 titles.

Same here.
The hard/sad part is also the games you have that are impossible to get 100% now due to server shutdowns. ? ?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, InfinityOnH1gh said:

I've been trying to up my competition %. Once I'm back at work, that will fall by the wayside. Not enough free time... and certainly none for grinding trophies. I don't know how you guys do it. It's like a job.

There is never enough time.

The problem is now when you are a grown up with a job, now you got the money to buy any console you like and any games, but not enough time to play.
Before you had the time but no money! ?

Guess I'm a trophy hunter. 

13 minutes ago, Stedde said:

The problem is now when you are a grown up with a job, now you got the money to buy any console you like and any games, but not enough time to play.
Before you had the time but no money! 1f643.png

The trick is to only sleep 4 hours a night. It's the only way I'm able to balance work/life/games.

54 minutes ago, VigilantCrow said:

The trick is to only sleep 4 hours a night. It's the only way I'm able to balance work/life/games.

4 hours sleep and I'll be napping after work xD

1 hour ago, Stedde said:

Even if I do have time, I can't sit all day playing games like when I was a kid. I feel guilty.

47 minutes ago, InfinityOnH1gh said:

4 hours sleep and I'll be napping after work xD

Even if I do have time, I can't sit all day playing games like when I was a kid. I feel guilty.

You shouldn't.
You are old enough (I think ? :D)  to do what you like.
That is also one of the pros of being a grown up. Nobody can tell me to stop playing! ?

19 hours ago, Stedde said:

Before you had the time but no money! ?

I'm grown up, with a job and living with my gf, still I do my best to keep my 100%, playing a couple games at a time at most and completing them before I move on. The side effect is a huge backlog, but things will change with PS5, as I will become way more picky with games, cause I'll probably never manage to play them all anyway in my lifetime lol

Edited by Brightblade76
  • Like 1

A trophy hunter.

I always want to complete the games I genuinely enjoy, the games I don’t think are worth my time are usually on standby for a very long time and sometimes I just don’t get back to finish them.

Unfinished games don’t bother me too much nowadays and that’s probably why my completion rate is still garbage.

12 hours ago, Brightblade76 said:

I'm grown up, with a job and living with my gf, still I do my best to keep my 100%, playing a couple games at a time at most and completing them before I move on. The side effect is a huge backlog, but things will change with PS5, as I will become way more picky with games, cause I'll probably never manage to play them all anyway in my lifetime lol

+1 for that. I also have a kid. ?

Unfortunately you need to be picky. 
I have a huge Wishlist that I can look at at least.

But I like the feeling of just picking up an old game and get a trophy and getting closer to a 100%.
For example, I picked up Lord of The Rings Lego yesterday and took a trophy. My last save was from 2007! ?

11 hours ago, Stedde said:

+1 for that. I also have a kid. 1f642.png

Unfortunately you need to be picky. 
I have a huge Wishlist that I can look at at least.

But I like the feeling of just picking up an old game and get a trophy and getting closer to a 100%.
For example, I picked up Lord of The Rings Lego yesterday and took a trophy. My last save was from 2007! 1f602.png

The benefit of being a kid is you don't have to worry about the world. If you had good parents, and you lived in a good home, you had a lot of free time.

I would of rather been the same age I am now back in 1996 - 2000. I would of drove out and picked up a bunch of Green Day, Soundgarden, Blink 182 and Pearl Jam CD albums. That was back then. Today you just sit on Spotify, iTunes, Pandora and let them do the work for you.

With the COVID-19 pandemic, a corrupt government and incompetent leadership, things aren't looking so rosy. I don't know.

It was a different world when I was a kid. But then again, everybody says that at some point.

By the time your kid reaches my age in the 30s, they'll probably have the PlayStation 8 out and we'll be sitting inside of virtual reality simulators. Robots will do all the work for us. One can only dream.

The backlog I currently have will keep me busy for several months to come. At least with being picky, you're not rushing out to buy the PlayStation 5 and a few new games for the Holiday season.

On 22/09/2020 at 0:43 PM, VigilantCrow said:

I used to stay up until 3am playing games then get up for work at half 6. Work and a wife really pushed into my all important game playing time.

Im “only” 37 now, but I’m just not able to even contemplate that any longer. I’m asleep by half 12 and need that sold 6 hours to not feel like a zombie all day.

The pleasures of age, lol.

• Like 1

I am neither a trophy hunter, nor am I a completionist. Me getting all trophies in a game depends only on whether I like the game and if I want to invest my time into playing it. I don't feel bad if my games are "unfinished" when it comes to trophies since I do not have as much time for gaming as I had some years ago.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2020 at 7:28 AM, Stedde said:

I really feel like this is not the norm, as much as modern standards would have you believe.

I work 50hrs a week(or close to)

go to the gym 3times a week(45min -1hr sessions)

Live with my gf(of 3years)

So between spending time with her, gym, work sleeping(7hr ish a day)

Id say I get somewere around 25-30hrs of game time a week.

Now I could understand if someone works 60-70hrs a week, then yeah your not doing anything else with your life.

But at that point you probbly should be looking for something better tbh.

So in closing, unless you work thst much or have other hobbies you care more about(nothing wrong with that) or have kids(then your game time is truely fucked. lol)

You should be able to play and beat lots of games.

Getting plats just means you play less games per year.

Just my 2cent.

I firgure Ill write a real reply to this topic considerung its a intresting topic.

Im what you could call semi completost.

I have made it a goal to have my profile at 100%(one day)So I 100% every trophy list.

Now I do, no matter what(trophy or not) beat the game on the highest difficulty.

Ill also usully(,depending on the game) will put self improsed rules on myself.

Like how I beat Doom(all 4 episodes)

on UV without any quick saves in my 1st playtru.

And I beat RE0 on Hard with a S Rank.

Little stuff like that.

I dont always do it, but thats about the jest of how I trackle my games.