Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Preorders 50% behind Ghosts

kidhero99

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare preorders continue to track more than 50 percent behind 2013’s Ghosts, according to Cowen and Company analyst Doug Cruetz. The industry-tracking expert notes that Advanced Warfare is tracking 80 percent behind 2012’s Black Ops II. Call of Duty game regularly generate $1 billion in revenue for Activision, but Ghosts didn’t perform as well as Black Ops II. If Advanced Warfare sells worse than Ghosts, this could signify that the franchise is on a permanent decline.

Seems the franchise is a ghost of its former self.

Bubble finally ready to burst?

• Like 1

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare preorders continue to track more than 50 percent behind 2013’s Ghosts, according to Cowen and Company analyst Doug Cruetz. The industry-tracking expert notes that Advanced Warfare is tracking 80 percent behind 2012’s Black Ops II. Call of Duty game regularly generate $1 billion in revenue for Activision, but Ghosts didn’t perform as well as Black Ops II. If Advanced Warfare sells worse than Ghosts, this could signify that the franchise is on a permanent decline.

Seems the franchise is a ghost of its former self.

Bubble finally ready to burst?

Yeah.......no. A couple of factors to take into account. First alot of people are in limbo between last gen and next gen and won't be buying it. Secondly, Ghosts soured some people. Thirdly, this doubtfully includes digital pre-buys which alot of people are leaning towards. Advanced Warfare should make easily over a billion, and might sell more than ghosts if Advanced Warfare is really as good as it looks. 

Edited by DanielVT
  • Like 1

Advanced Warfare should make easily over a billion, and might sell more than ghosts if Advanced Warfare is really as good as it looks.

Did Ghosts even make a billion? I'm no sales expert, but if the pre orders of this game are only ranking half of what Ghosts did, I think it's gonna have a tough time breaking a billion.

Did Ghosts even make a billion? I'm no sales expert, but if the pre orders of this game are only ranking half of what Ghosts did, I think it's gonna have a tough time breaking a billion.

It shipped 1 billion dollars in copies on day 1, and sold around $500 million day 1. So yeah, it crossed the billion dollar mark easily. 

You seem to forget that 50% of a shitton of people is still a lot of people. Call Of Duty might no longer be the cashcow it was in its prime, but it's still profitable enough for Activision to keep milking it for the next years.

and might sell more than ghosts if Advanced Warfare is really as good as it looks. 

sorry but it looks the same as the last few games with all the hightech garbage that made them boring. Could be different completely but from what i've seen it not. The better games for me were cod4 and WaW back when it felt at least a tad realistic.

sorry but it looks the same as the last few games with all the hightech garbage that made them boring. Could be different completely but from what i've seen it not. The better games for me were cod4 and WaW back when it felt at least a tad realistic.

You haven't played it yet. I guarantee you it will be better than Ghosts. Give it a chance!

Yeah.......no. A couple of factors to take into account. First alot of people are in limbo between last gen and next gen and won't be buying it. Secondly, Ghosts soured some people. Thirdly, this doubtfully includes digital pre-buys which alot of people are leaning towards. Advanced Warfare should make easily over a billion, and might sell more than ghosts if Advanced Warfare is really as good as it looks. 

Being in a limbo phase between last-gen and next-gen does not mean people won't purchase it - more than likely they will, for whatever the cheapest price can be. Secondly, Ghosts is not the only Call of Duty game to sour people's taste; your tastes, yes, as you've claimed numerous times before, but not some or all. If anything, consumers have felt too saturated with these games. Third, where is your claim that "... this doubtfully includes digital pre-buys which a lot of people are leaning towards..."? Aside from PC gaming, where it's practically mandatory to have every game thrust into the digital library (where Call of Duty is selling less), the digital marketplace is not the first place of interest in the console marketplace.

Advanced Warfare's pre-orders are looking poor, and if that is any indication of how well it will do, that translates to perhaps one of the lowest selling COD titles. Consumers are getting fatigued of COD, and it does not alleviate the situation that a developer who hasn't proven their worth is taking rein on one of the highest selling franchises in media. When there are bigger and more promising games on the horizon, such as Shadow of Mordor or Assassin's Creed: Unity, people would want to invest in something a bit more evolutionary, if not revolutionary. Black Ops: Declassified was absolutely horrendous, deemed from the highest echelons of gaming as well as the average bloke, so anything is possible within this franchise.

It shipped 1 billion dollars in copies on day 1, and sold around $500 million day 1. So yeah, it crossed the billion dollar mark easily. 

Shipping copies does not equate to generating the same amount of money those games are worth. There has not been an article that clearly states that Activision actually did profit the billion dollar mark whatsoever - their quarterly revenue stream during the time of Ghosts release was unveiled, however there was no such statement or claim from Activision showing fool-proof evidence that they actually produced substantial sales other than the estimated $500 million on day one.

Honestly, I'm not surprised by this. I mean, LOOK what's coming out in November:

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare

Assassins Creed Rogue and Unity

Dragon Age Inquisition

Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor (PS3)

Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2

The list goes on. Before, the month of November belonged to COD, now there's a paradigm shift, and the sales are suffering as a result.