Suggestion: Trophy Recommendation Engine

mac_55

Hi there!

This is a feature I've been thinking a lot about. On the face of it, it seems to provide the same functionality as the Trophy Advisor, but once you start looking deeper it could be a really interesting and accurate feature. So here goes:

Similar to the way that Amazon recommends books you may like, based upon the purchasing history of all of it's members, cross referenced with your purchasing history, PSN Profiles could suggest which trophy you should complete next. Of course, it could also suggest alternative options.

How it works is that it knows a ton of people completed trophy A, B and C in sequence, so it can predict with accuracy that if you have completed A and B, C might be within your reach too. It's basically a behavioural / pattern analysis algorithm. The percentage completion system is good, but it's very shallow. It doesn't really tell you why more people have completed trophy B than C.

There could also be a new view to see trophies from games that you don't yet own that similar players have achieved - chances are that if someone has very similar trophies to you and they like a game you haven't checked out yet, then you would probably like it too.

Would love to hear feedback on this idea, it's definitely not the easiest feature to implement but I think it would be a real innovation that no other sites are doing right now.

Chances are I've not explained it as well in text as it is defined in my head. Ah well!

Cheers!

It would be cool - but remember - the algorithms that Amazon use are complicated, and I imagine quite costly to impliment (remember Netfix used to have a $1M reward to anyone who could improve thier recommendations algorithm to solve the Napoleon Dynamite Effect?)

For a smaller site to implimrnt that kind of system is probably not feasable - although I would certainly use the feature if it existed!

• Like 1

It would be cool - but remember - the algorithms that Amazon use are complicated, and I imagine quite costly to impliment (remember Netfix used to have a $1M reward to anyone who could improve thier recommendations algorithm to solve the Napoleon Dynamite Effect?)

For a smaller site to implimrnt that kind of system is probably not feasable - although I would certainly use the feature if it existed!

On top of this, Amazon or Netflix are making money from these advisors. They have products or services to sell. This makes the research etc. valid.

The amount of work it would take, coupled with the amount of data to be compared etc would make it much too costly (I believe at least)

The idea in itself is good, and has a reason, but I don't think it's feasable

Edited by Memnoch
  • Like 1