How do you prefer your Stealth : In First-person or Third-person view?

Sigma999

First or Third Person?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer First or Third person stealth games?

• First
    • Third

Personally I find more enjoyment when playing with third-person Stealth games mostly because my favorite series are designed with that perspective and also I get more aware of my environment and enemies than with the first-person.

Although I recognize the advantages of first-person stealth for example: Have to turn around your head to see your surrondings and eye of sight limited like in reality is able to get you a more realistic experience, I'm still pretty much attached to the third-person view rather than the first.

What do you guys think?

Wich one do your prefer and wich do you think is the better view designed to the stealth genre?

• Like 1

Also feel free to say what are your favourite stealth games/franchises.

For me it's Metal Gear Solid especially 3,1 and 4, Hitman Blood Money and Contracts, Splinter Cell (still have to play the 2 others from the trilogy) and Last of Us if you want to play it stealthy like I usually do.

• Like 1

That feels a lot like a MGS game LOL

MGS... AND Sniper Elite, Splinter Cell, ...

But those are indeed the millitary type of stealth games.

If it's non-millitary, I don't mind whether or not I'm able to zoom in :) (eg: The Last Of Us) But then again, those games don't force you into stealth gameplay so.

3rd person for a variety of reasons. 

1. If i can't see myself ican't get a good feeling of my own size in relation to the environment. This can often make it hard to say whether an enemy can see you hiding behing obstacles.

2. I find observing your environment much easier to do in 3rd person.

3. First Person always feel kinda stale to me. When hiding from something in first person, i feel like a walking pole that just has to stay out of direct sight. I don't really feel like i'm actually hiding until i switch to third person.

• Like 1

I for one can't play FPS (motion sickness.. on top of other stuff.. I just suck at them..), but from my experience with stealth games, I find that 3rd-person stealth always makes it easier to get away while being less stealthy, then 1st-person stealth, this may be because of my lack of skills for FPS..

Said that, I do find 1st-person stealth more emersive and somewhat more fun, but I do need to be in the right mindset to play them.

As for backgroud:

I only played Fallout 3/NV because of VATS, otherwise I wouldn't be able to play it (yes, this is not stealth, but it's the reason why I only tried Bortherlands for a bit, even though I would love to play it).

For 3rd-person stealth, I played mainly Assassin's Creed games, and a bit of Metal Gear HD collection (mainly Peace Walker)

For 1st-person stealth, Deus EX: Human Revolution, Thief (still working on it, haven't been in the right mood to play it).

1st person really feels more like stealth for me, since we have a more limited vision camp, giving a more emersive feel (and making my playstile slow as a turtle..).

As for what I prefer, I would say first person, even though I don't like to play games in first person, since the experience is much more emersive for me (can't imagine playing Deus Ex any other way, for Thief, I actually though it would be 3rd person, since I didn't saw gameplay vids..).

Also, my preference for 1st person may be partly because of the games I played (and how my mood was when I played them).

Since the Metal Gear series is my vote for greatest stealth series of all time, I'm gonna go with third person. I feel you can interact with the environment better as well as track enemy movements more successfully leading to proper stealth. 

Parker

• Like 1

Third person all the way (for any genre). First person isn't smooth, I just start imagining how the character is moving and it bothers me.

It sickens me so much when in First-person you can't even see the legs when you look down and the hands when not holding the gun (currently on Deus Ex Human Revolution). On the other way, Mirror's Edge just felt marvelous while controlling Faith with first-person camera. 

That from a guy who really doesn't enjoy FPS in a whole.

Edited by Jiaho24

I think third-person provides better spatial awareness without unbalancing the game, whereas first-person gives you a limited field of view and makes it difficult to spot pretty much anything.

I think third-person works better in general but first-person promotes actual stealthy gameplay and heightens tension.

tl;dr: third-person is easier, first-person makes it feel stealthy

PS: shouldn't this be a poll?

• Like 1

I think third-person provides better spatial awareness without unbalancing the game, whereas first-person gives you a limited field of view and makes it difficult to spot pretty much anything.

I think third-person works better in general but first-person promotes actual stealthy gameplay and heightens tension.

tl;dr: third-person is easier, first-person makes it feel stealthy

PS: shouldn't this be a poll?

It's a valid option considering adding a poll on this post. The only problem is the creator doesn't have the required skills to create one xD

Really I never created one so i'm not qualified or even imagine at first glance in doing that.

I love Metal Gear and Deus Ex. The third person option always works. FPS is more challenging to make into a way it wont come repetetive. If we're talking about those Call of Duty etc. so called poor stealth sections they can fuck off. I think Deus Ex: Human Revolution did it perfectly by mixing both TPS and FPS :)

• Like 2

It's a valid option considering adding a poll on this post. The only problem is the creator doesn't have the required skills to create one xD

Really I never created one so i'm not qualified or even imagine at first glance in doing that.

I've added one for you.  ;)

Parker

• Like 1