Ex-PlayStation Home devs want to build a new virtual world for PS4 called Neotopia

kidhero99

Neotopia is a virtual world for PS4 built with Unreal Engine 4 - and it sounds a lot like a next-gen PlayStation Home. You create and customise an avatar. There will be public spaces to explore, people to meet, events to attend and activities to get involved in.

And, as with PlayStation Home, you can buy virtual apartments, redecorate them and share them with your friends.

Neotopia is the work of studio Madmunki. Founders Mark Jagger and David Dow worked on PlayStation Home online experiment Spunland. Ed Gladwin, who is also building Neotopia, worked on PlayStation Home for eight years while at Sony.

The developer is currently crowdfunding Neotopia on Kickstarter, where it's asking for £250,000.

"Neotopia's vision is to bring together like-minded people who can interact, build, share and play," reads the pitch.

"A world where you can make new friends and keep in touch with old ones in any setting you choose. A world with everything from idyllic beaches to mountain peaks, from Medieval castles to shining metropolis' of the future. All of which is your playground. All of which is YOURS."

£250,000 sounds like a big ask, but the developers reckon it's doable.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-06-ex-playstation-home-devs-want-to-build-a-new-virtual-world-for-ps4?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1222510567/neotopia

I for one welcome this idea

• Like 1

Stop making Second Life try to happen Sony. It's not going to happen.

It looks like the devs have broken off from Sony, but still want to make Neotopia PS4 exclusive.

I thought the main problems with PS Home were:

Having to download a map everytime you go to a new area

Only way to get outfits/furniture from stores was with real money

All the games were heavily under-developed

Now, if they can actually fix some of these issues, 'Neotopia' may actually be alright, but from that kickstarter video, they just described PS Home, and I won't support them going off with 1/4 of a million dollars to make exactly the same game.

Edited by Saltyie

I never really got the appeal of home...though the ridiculous download map system thing and the amount of microtransactions to put a shirt on your back put me off, but if they get their goal good for them....not that I'll be paying any interest to it either way.

If your space had a trophy cabinet to show off your epeen everyone would sign up for this!

:giggle: So true....so so true  :giggle:

"All of which is YOURS."

How so? Will I be able to permanently download and backup this world? Or is this is same as Home, where eventually you pull the plug and everyone just has to accept it?

My beef with all this digital media is the non-permanence. It is said when something is on the internet, it's there forever. Home has proved them wrong.

Please, potential supporters: Ask questions NOW and be skeptical of the answers. Recognize history and the gamble you're taking.

Disclaimer: I didn't like Home. I have a 2 mbps (yes, TWO) and Home was a laggy, annoying place I didn't enjoy. That said, I'll support anyone who said they did like Home. Don't tell me I can't like whatever I want, and I won't judge whatever you like.

How so? Will I be able to permanently download and backup this world? Or is this is same as Home, where eventually you pull the plug and everyone just has to accept it?

My beef with all this digital media is the non-permanence. It is said when something is on the internet, it's there forever. Home has proved them wrong.

Please, potential supporters: Ask questions NOW and be skeptical of the answers. Recognize history and the gamble you're taking.

Disclaimer: I didn't like Home. I have a 2 mbps (yes, TWO) and Home was a laggy, annoying place I didn't enjoy. That said, I'll support anyone who said they did like Home. Don't tell me I can't like whatever I want, and I won't judge whatever you like.

Email 'em and ask the creators if you're so concerned. B)  

Email 'em and ask the creators if you're so concerned. B)  

I'm not concerned at all. I was giving advice to others in my post. That's why I said "Please, potential supporters:"

Also, I quoted the last sentence of the original quote "All of which is YOURS." before my post, looks like it got cut off. It was more hypothetical than anything.

I'm not concerned at all. I was giving advice to others in my post. That's why I said "Please, potential supporters:"

Also, I quoted the last sentence of the original quote "All of which is YOURS." before my post, looks like it got cut off. It was more hypothetical than anything.

Hope so.  B)

Hmm, I rarely used home (partialt do to the fact my friends hated it -_-), but it's an interesting concept.

In all honesty they probably could just shrink it down, and do something closer to what Nintendo, or Microsoft did. But if this sees the light of day I'll definitely give it a look.

However I'd prefer they just make an actual game, or literally anything else, if I wanted this I'd play second life. 

should call it "Predator Playground". 

You just reminded me of the other reason I using home xD

Some guy I met in an online lobby invited me to psh, so I went looking for him, ran around for like 20min looking for him, neither of us had any idea what the others avatar looked like lol.

When I finally found him he turned out to be a she, so we talked a while, and eventually explained he wasn't a girl, he just played one in home. After that confusion I ended up playing DCU with him at like 2:00AM, and he was still playing a girl, also it seemed like he was acting flirty, but I was like "nahhh, I'm just imagining that", Then I got asked out....To which I declined.

Skip to the next day when me, and a few friends where playing Dead or Alive, he wanted to join, so I invited him, and by the end of playing with him my inbox was full of dirty jokes aimed at me, a weird looking picture of an emo girl (which was actually him in drag), and unwanted attempts to get me to change my mind. Not to mention he attempted to hook up with all of my male friends, who were in a lobby at the same time, but honestly that was freaking hilarious, they were all going on about him being their ramen goddess because they all thought he was a girl. Needless to say they were rather angry when I told them that was a guy like 5min after they finished drooling over him :awesome:  

Didn't even wanna check my messages with people in the room by the time we finished playing, so I blocked the guy. But he then started talking to my friends trying to contact me......recently to :|  

I used to go to Home a lil often in my old account when I had just bought my PS3 and had just a few games.But since I made this new account,I never touched it anymore...I like Home its pretty nice....never went to it anymore because I really don't have time.But hope this new Neotopia thing goes right.

You just reminded me of the other reason I using home xD

Some guy I met in an online lobby invited me to psh, so I went looking for him, ran around for like 20min looking for him, neither of us had any idea what the others avatar looked like lol.

When I finally found him he turned out to be a she, so we talked a while, and eventually explained he wasn't a girl, he just played one in home. After that confusion I ended up playing DCU with him at like 2:00AM, and he was still playing a girl, also it seemed like he was acting flirty, but I was like "nahhh, I'm just imagining that", Then I got asked out....To which I declined.

Skip to the next day when me, and a few friends where playing Dead or Alive, he wanted to join, so I invited him, and by the end of playing with him my inbox was full of dirty jokes aimed at me, a weird looking picture of an emo girl (which was actually him in drag), and unwanted attempts to get me to change my mind. Not to mention he attempted to hook up with all of my male friends, who were in a lobby at the same time, but honestly that was freaking hilarious, they were all going on about him being their ramen goddess because they all thought he was a girl. Needless to say they were rather angry when I told them that was a guy like 5min after they finished drooling over him :awesome:  

Didn't even wanna check my messages with people in the room by the time we finished playing, so I blocked the guy. But he then started talking to my friends trying to contact me......recently to :|  

Lol WTF?...this is some crazy shit.