NYM HC ALWAYS freezes in chapter 13

alien713

Ok, so I got to chapter 13 in NYM HC mode 5 or 6 times already and game freezes every time I kill the last enemy just before heavy armoured one with LMG should come through door. I've read it's quite common bug, but can't find any working solution. Things I tried:

- playing offline with updates installed (v1.09) and without (v1.05 - default version of the game from PS Store)

- using different weapons to kill enemies in this room

- not using shootdodge or bullet time

- killing enemies in different order

- playing through the entire mode without pausing the game even once and doing it as quickly as I can/playing slowly and making short breaks before every level

- not skipping cutscenes

- shooting the last enemy in different parts of body and from different positions, when he stands or hides in different places

- redownloading and reinstalling the game before every run

- rebuilding PS3's database

My PS3 definitely isn't overheating and it's the only game breaking bug I encounter in this mode (I had level loading issues in chapter 7 which are also very common, but learned how to avoid them). This freeze doesn't happen to me in any other mode, got through NYM in this chapter several times and it's always ok. Generally the game didn't freeze for me anywhere else before. Other games are working fine.

Now that I'm a little bit troubled and don't know what else I could do, I'm asking for advice. Any help will be appreciated. Also, could anyone who beat it tell me which version did he/she use - digital or disc? With updates or without?

This is how it always looks like - screen becomes a bit brighter, sound dissapears:

post-72337-0-51719000-1412688927_thumb.jpg

Edited by alien713
  • Like 1

I have digital version I downloaded off psn for free a while back.  I've been quite surprised how well the game has handled so far aftr reading some of the horror reports on the games bugs...  but i havent' seen many.     BUT, But I haven't played nymhc yet, but I do plan too.  I

What do you have Disc or Digi?  

I just finished NYM without a single hitch.  A few funny A I deaths, that's about it.

Edited by SilkyJay86
  • Like 1

Bruh NYMHC, I don't know where to start I could've easily got the platinum in a month (i love third person shooters) but with the freezes (most of mine halfway through chapter 13) I held it off for like a yeat until they did updates. Then got it on my third attempt, one glitch on chapter 7 & a fail suicide on 12 with the grenade launcher, got it that third attempt & day. Probably my proudest platinum, but personally wouldn't give it a 10/10 like most people. Btw i had the Disc if that helps. If it glitches wait a few days, also try to do it right when you turn the PS3 on, it takes roughly 3 hours & you don't want it to start freezing.

• Like 1

I have digital version I downloaded off psn for free a while back.  I've been quite surprised how well the game has handled so far aftr reading some of the horror reports on the games bugs...  but i havent' seen many.     BUT, But I haven't played nymhc yet, but I do plan too.  I

What do you have Disc or Digi?  

I just finished NYM without a single hitch.  A few funny A I deaths, that's about it.

Digital version from US PS Store. I've finished story mode 4 times and whole NYM without any freezes or serious glitches/bugs, this happens to me only in NYM HC. Good luck with NYM HC, let me know if it will freeze for you, I hope that it won't though. :P

Bruh NYMHC, I don't know where to start I could've easily got the platinum in a month (i love third person shooters) but with the freezes (most of mine halfway through chapter 13) I held it off for like a yeat until they did updates. Then got it on my third attempt, one glitch on chapter 7 & a fail suicide on 12 with the grenade launcher, got it that third attempt & day. Probably my proudest platinum, but personally wouldn't give it a 10/10 like most people. Btw i had the Disc if that helps. If it glitches wait a few days, also try to do it right when you turn the PS3 on, it takes roughly 3 hours & you don't want it to start freezing.

Thanks, I'm always doing no more than one run per day, after at least few hours break from playing. I'm wondering if it could be digital version's fault. Anyone who completed NYM HC tells me that he used disc. While this can happen on disc version as well, it may be less frequent.

Pretty common problem.. One thing you didn't list though alien is turning golden gun effects off via the main menu before you start. I had problems freezing before I turned mine off, but after it was smooth sailing.

Thanks for the tip. I've just completed story mode and NYM again, this time on a new save file, without collecting any golden guns. Let's see if it helps.

Edited by alien713

So that room in chapter 13.. I know which one your talking bout...  After you clear out the room, the armored lmg guy comes in. 

So willmill, you're saying when you first even enter the room, just stay there behind that cover ?  Don't move... especially left?

Thx  this would be kind of heartbreaking in chapter 13.    Chapter 13 took me the longerst of all nym chapters..... 

I can see this being a bigger problem than time in HC...   

• Like 1

I also had a freezing bug (where my sound went out and didn't trigger a cutscene) in the room where after the cutscene triggers they toss smoke with the laser sights. The cutscene where Max hits the switch for the elevators never started. Another tip watch out for the 'Finale' on Chp 14, part can be a pain, but my game glitched where my painkillers (max of 9) carried from Chp 13 to Chp 14. I'm like yay! repaying me for the 6 failed attempts from glitches.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After restoring PS3 system with a quick hdd format it has never frozen again. I got to that place 2 times and 2 times it didn't freeze. To be sure I won't interrupt loading in background or something I stayed for 4-5 minutes behind the cover in that room, then killed the last guy (in Last Man Standing, it worked for the 1st time so I did the same thing 2nd time as well).

Edited by alien713

I getting very close to attempting this.  Holding my breath that if I do make it deep the game will obey and be kind.  I hoping that more saves, games, playthroughs, grinds and other info, ect. that is saved within the game/or console that the game doesn't overload it's brainstem for the all mighty shadow wolf playthru.  I'll keep ya'll updated, as I know your dying to follow my max payne 3 progress.  :wave:

nice to see that It's worked out, atleast in the long haul for you alien.  Gives me some hope for this. 

Edited by SilkyJay86

This is exactly why I gave up on the game.  It's a broken game.  R* should've worked all the kinks out of the entire game before releasing it.  I tried NYMHC like I dunno 50 times or so and 'd guesstimate that more than half those times ended due to freezes and game-ending/breaking glitches.  You name the glitch, it happened to me, both with the updates installed and without.  No enemy spawn.  Check.  Freezing.  Check.  Losing audio.  Checkity-check-check.  Oh yeah.  It was great.  Losing audio probably wouldn't have been bad in most areas of the game, but it happened to me (I think twice) in the ONE area of the game where you absolutely need audio.  Graveyard chapter.  Hiding in cover from sniper and waiting for Passos to tell you when you can move up while he distracts the sniper.  Yep.  Lost audio right there.  Ergo, you can't hear Passos tell you when to make a run for it.  BS broken game imo.  I could go on and on, but you get the point.

Ohhh I almost forgot... Alien, Uncharted, whomever.  Did you use golden guns when it worked?  THis is something I've been thinking over about possible disabling, considering it's just cosmetic.  It would be one less thing for the game to process in arcade mode.

And dang Spider I've heard one too many of those Whore stories when talking about this mode, so sorry and terrified to hear that.  May I ask if you had the disc verision or not? and if you used golden guns?  Just curious.  appreciate any advice!    Basically your thuoghts on why the hell just that mode is weird... did the actual game/normal play thrus also mess up on you spider?  sorry a lotta questions.   Such a great game, it sucks to hear such disastrous results. 

Wish they'd release all the DLC.  for free. 

-Silk

Ohhh I almost forgot... Alien, Uncharted, whomever.  Did you use golden guns when it worked?  THis is something I've been thinking over about possible disabling, considering it's just cosmetic.  It would be one less thing for the game to process in arcade mode.

And dang Spider I've heard one too many of those Whore stories when talking about this mode, so sorry and terrified to hear that.  May I ask if you had the disc verision or not? and if you used golden guns?  Just curious.  appreciate any advice!    Basically your thuoghts on why the hell just that mode is weird... did the actual game/normal play thrus also mess up on you spider?  sorry a lotta questions.   Such a great game, it sucks to hear such disastrous results. 

Wish they'd release all the DLC.  for free. 

-Silk

Playing without golden guns didn't resolve this issue for me. I don't think things like golden guns, sticking to the certain side of the room, killing enemies in some way etc. matter here. This freezing bug is something weird and I'm still wondering what was causing it. I've read on some forums about ppl having the exact same problem in chapter 10, Uncharted said he had freezes in chapter 13 but in different area. And many other ppl had no freezes at all. Maybe there is some inaccessible temporary data for this game on the hdd, and for some reason it becomes corrupted and you can't clear it. Or maybe freezing is caused by some other games/game data/saves on your hdd... I don't know.

BTW No enemy spawn glitch can be easily avoided. It usually appears here: http://youtu.be/l1vGUPOb5Vo?t=38m22s Just kill all the enemies you see like on this video and don't rush here, go slowly. If you will still have some issues, remember that pausing the game for a few seconds can fix many bugs. If pausing once won't help, pause and unpause more times, or go back as far as you can and return. Pausing the game can also fix e.g. common bug in chapter 9, when you need to shoot a rocket fired from an RPG but you can't move.

This is exactly why I gave up on the game.  It's a broken game.  R* should've worked all the kinks out of the entire game before releasing it.  I tried NYMHC like I dunno 50 times or so and 'd guesstimate that more than half those times ended due to freezes and game-ending/breaking glitches.  You name the glitch, it happened to me, both with the updates installed and without.  No enemy spawn.  Check.  Freezing.  Check.  Losing audio.  Checkity-check-check.  Oh yeah.  It was great.  Losing audio probably wouldn't have been bad in most areas of the game, but it happened to me (I think twice) in the ONE area of the game where you absolutely need audio.  Graveyard chapter.  Hiding in cover from sniper and waiting for Passos to tell you when you can move up while he distracts the sniper.  Yep.  Lost audio right there.  Ergo, you can't hear Passos tell you when to make a run for it.  BS broken game imo.  I could go on and on, but you get the point.

Just play with subtitles turned on.

Edited by alien713

Well.. I just attempted it for the first time and got my hair brushed back in chapter 7 in those filthy ass favelas.  That Molotov section, when you start up the scene, they throw two.  Pretty much back to back.  It caught me off guard and I remembered (or was thinking prior) I wasn't too far the rocket launcher cutscene if I could make it.  I had rushed that area in other play thrus and utilized the rocket launcher cutscence to the advantages off avoiding sitting in cover or battling the 2nd set of molotovs shitheads and others on the walkway to it. 

So I got out of cover back at the first point... and went into a little bit of a panic as I watched the molotovs come down.  I heard max making the noise of that he had been on fire or hit by it as I left cover.  I only had 1 pk too.  I had been keeping an eye on the clock too and had noticed I was slowing giving a few minutes away from chapter 4 or so on and I think that played into my lack of attention to the task at hand.  A little, juust a little worry and panic krept in.  I was down into the 2:50's and had been working with 5-6 mintues.  I was taking my time and using the cover trick.   It's alright tbh, it's not as great as some I've read that make it out to being completely game changing.   but it also can get you into close counter situations if you're not ontop of your game so it backfire as well, as it too takes more time up.  and man I suure wish I could smuggle my painkillers (pks) across chapters... 

Needless to say I didn't make it to the rocket launcher cut scene.  I kind of see my mistakes, but I might want  to practice this level once or twice. 

Two funny/concerning glitchs, bugs whatever in this first nym hc run:

Chapter 3.  Have the sniper rifle.  Covering passo's and the last guy you shoot in bullet cam.. Right before the last guy that comes down the descending stairs surprising him.  Well... and I've never seen this, I get the view of Max in cover and the reticle and view of a assault rifle, handgun, ect.  I was tapped the shit out of the trigger, mind you this is still the sniper rifle I have.  I some how kill the fucker with my 5 or 6th shot.  I couldn't believe it... a. that bug was ridiculous and b. that I made the shot from across the damn stadium.  Passos was toast I thought.  I was even going in and out of zoom to see if it would actually zoooom.  Maybe I should've paused it in retrospect.

Chapter 4.  Blow up those cars from cover with the thugs by them.  Triggered the last guys bullet cam and passos makes his remarks about not wanting to see who else might show up and lo and behold there's a son a bitch chilln through the smoke aiming his gun at me.... hahaa.  I put him down really quick, but still. 

The sniper one shocked me the most.   Looking back after it happened I wasn't sure if he was alive or not when I shot him.  He went down though.  I laughed a little thinking I have to kill these guys twice now, huh.  This was just after the ch. 3 goof

I will say one thing.  It was brutally appartent in the first 6.  I died in 7 so I can't say it's that much more easy, but seriously Hardcore (story mode) was so much difficult health and gameplay wise than the feel this mode game me during my time.  I was shocked this first playthru, and it was kind of refreshing to have a little more of a chance (while knowing one mistake tucks me in).  Don't think I have another try in me tonight, but I'm glad I got my feet wet.  Demorlized a little, I won't lie, but these are the type of challenges and pressure I like to test my self within the expierences I try to find with video games.

sorry for turning this into a vlog

Edited by SilkyJay86
  • Like 1

i really like the nym hc mode. completed it a couple of years ago and recently attempted it again. i had no glitches. i was playing the disk version with no patches installed. i think the updates did more harm than good.

Edited by ashley284

Well let me join the club.  Of nymhc freezes.  :shakefist:   Got ya!   geeez.   NOt sure why Im joking around, but it just froze at the very end of chapter 4.  I have 7 and a half minutes left and the time is just flashing.  The last guy I killed in bt and it was a bullet cam.  He's still on my screen with blood coming out of him.

I hate to say this, but the degree of difficulty I'm seeing with this mode is undoubtabley the patience it forces upon you.  I wish I could just skip the first hour of this mode, because it's simply a formality for m now.  I'm not going to die in the first 4-5 chapters after doing this a few times.  With that being said I wish this mode negated all cutscenes. 

I know people say that's a loading screen, but if that's the case, I'd settle for a small loading screen over the power and intelligence it takes to have a game showing a cutscene and loaing at the same time.  Food for thought.  Umm well I'm a lot more scared to even want to try this now... if this happened in chapter 13 I'd for sure throw in the towel.  Simply not a fair challenge. 

Edit: i'm pressing r2 and the controller is vibrating like im shooting.  Shit on my chest.

I quit and the game then it snaps into the mission clock ticking sound and it's says completed, but the screen then goes completely white then go normal then white again.  then it's showing in the bottome of the screen to hit x to continue, but the main menu tabs are visible.  lol wtf.  Needless to say I was at the main menu, not the chapter complete screen..   I then hit nym hc again and it doesn't load, black screen.  Uh oh

started it up again for shits and disabled some settings.  after restaryting the ps3 Chapter 3 sniping....  Half the screen was glitched about mid way through covering passos, but I waited for the guys from the left to come into the screen still, but they couldn't be shot.  Dude.  I'm starting to see why this mode has gotten so much flak.  Why didn't this stuff happen in nym or story mode?  you think this wouldn't be a issue.  

I don't mind at all even getting my ass handed to me in a late chapter, but these "deaths" are pretty silly

Edited by SilkyJay86

Well, I didn't have anything like that. My game was freezing completely, without being able to show console menu or exit it, just nothing. I would advise not to skip cutscenes immediately after you are able to do it, but wait at least 4-5 seconds. Sometimes skipping a cutscene too early can cause some bugs. Just keep trying, you can do it  :)

Edited by alien713
  • Like 1

Ok alien.. thanks for the advice.  Appreciate every little bit because this game really has grown on me quite rapidily coupled with the difficulty of the modes.

I'm very guilty of pumping X when a. you kill in bullet cam or during cut scenes to keep the momentum going, and b. obviously to cut down on time.  That kind of makes sense, I'll wait a few seconds for each cut scene before skipping it or watch it entirely... to let the game keep up.  Keep ya'll updated when I venture back into Max's membrane.  :blink:

• 1 year later...

I actually used digital version so its very possible, I got few freezes on same spot but then I did the following... turned off Golden guns, played offline, waited 15 mins near door where guy with LMG comes out, I stayed on right side of the room as some ppl advised, killed last enemy in that room in LMS and tried not to use granade launcher whenever I could except last sequence. Hope it helps anyone attempting it on digital game.

• 5 years later...

My game froze in the chapter 13 LMG 

I take my time go to the right kill the 2 middle guys and the left one and then kill the 2 on the right then I shoot the last one my game FROZE! Any solutions? Please MY GOLD GUNS- off and PlayStation off too

I dont have any problems with other chapters one with this froze bug.

Anyone can help me please?

I read the solution is kill with melee attack is that true??

32 minutes ago, Ultimate_Ghost09 said:

My game froze in the chapter 13 LMG 

I take my time go to the right kill the 2 middle guys and the left one and then kill the 2 on the right then I shoot the last one my game FROZE! Any solutions? Please MY GOLD GUNS- off and PlayStation off too

I dont have any problems with other chapters one with this froze bug.

Anyone can help me please?

I read the solution is kill with melee attack is that true??

Do something different, I got 2 freezes in the same way, so I just changed the order who I killed. Oh, also I went to the offices on the left and didn't use the cover at all. Hope this helps, also try that segment a couple of times before doing the NYM run.

2 hours ago, Ptirle said:

Do something different, I got 2 freezes in the same way, so I just changed the order who I killed. Oh, also I went to the offices on the left and didn't use the cover at all. Hope this helps, also try that segment a couple of times before doing the NYM run.

i il try and I tell you if resolve or dont thanks bro

This concerns me, because I watched @Sergens NYMHC playthrough on YouTube and it took him over three hours just to get to that part in the office on Chapter 13. He said he had the game freeze four times on him before the LMG dude spawned.

Getting a freeze this far into the game must be incredibly frustrating. I honestly don't think Max Payne 3 is as difficult as people make it out to be. It's all the damn bugs and glitches. I already had this game freeze on me a few times in completely random areas.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

This concerns me, because I watched @Sergens NYMHC playthrough on YouTube and it took him over three hours just to get to that part in the office on Chapter 13. He said he had the game freeze four times on him before the LMG dude spawned.

Getting a freeze this far into the game must be incredibly frustrating. I honestly don't think Max Payne 3 is as difficult as people make it out to be. It's all the damn bugs and glitches. I already had this game freeze on me a few times in completely random areas.

the difficulty lies in the variables involving things that are partially not in your control, such as patiently waiting for the favela scene to load properly, or before some cutscene. some things are unpredictable, and that's what makes this trophy problematic, there are people who have tried literally dozens of times, it was 20-25 attempts for me, this scenario lmg guy especially frozed many times