NYM HC ALWAYS freezes in chapter 13

alien713

I recently beat NYMH on my second attempt. I did not encounter any freezes or glitches. I feel like this Chapter 13 specific glitch may be a problem with the disc version. I was playing the digital version with golden guns as well. Has anyone encountered this with the digital version? I never did. 

5 minutes ago, UNLOADED said:

I recently beat NYMH on my second attempt. I did not encounter any freezes or glitches. I feel like this Chapter 13 specific glitch may be a problem with the disc version. I was playing the digital version with golden guns as well. Has anyone encountered this with the digital version? I never did. 

As far as I'm aware, this game is just a buggy mess, no matter what version you're playing on. The freezing and the glitches really show themselves in NYMH the most because the game seems to struggle to load the entire story in one go. That's why it seems more noticeable in NYMH. 

As for people who didn't experience any freezes or glitches... I would guess they are just very lucky or maybe they have listened to all of the advice given here in the forums. There have been numerous people that have beaten NYMH on the first try without any issues, while others have struggled in this mode for over 40+ attempts due to glitches and freezing. As stated above, the difficulty truly lies within your ability to pick yourself back up after a failed attempt and 3 hours wasted. Nothing that a little perseverance can't fix though.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, UNLOADED said:

i didnt have a chapter 13 bug when i got to it, disc online with golden guns so idk what the deal is, just random i guess

14 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I honestly don't think Max Payne 3 is as difficult as people make it out to be. It's all the damn bugs and glitches. I already had this game freeze on me a few times in completely random areas.

Personally, I still think this challenge is very difficult. Bugs aside, there are still a number of tricky sections in the later chapters with Chapter 13 and 14 being largely a psychological battle of nerves; plus you do need a bit of luck in that last fight as it can really go awry with random stuff that doesn't normally happen - like a normal enemy throwing a grenade quickly followed by one of Becker's grenade (did still manage to survive it somehow ?).

Edited by BOOTP
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 11:01 PM, kevao97 said:

the difficulty lies in the variables involving things that are partially not in your control, such as patiently waiting for the favela scene to load properly, or before some cutscene. some things are unpredictable, and that's what makes this trophy problematic, there are people who have tried literally dozens of times, it was 20-25 attempts for me, this scenario lmg guy especially frozed many times

Exactly. I had the power go out in the final chapter once and one time Max got stuck on a baggage cart in the final fight. This adds to frustration leading to more mistakes making more attempts shortly there after. Always found it best to take short break.

One thing that can help curtail the freezing is to play offline and perhaps if it's someone's last trophy, to could play it without the patches. That game had so many patches for the MP it made the SP experience considerable worse.

• Like 1

On 31/8/2021 at 1:01 AM, kevao97 said:

the difficulty lies in the variables involving things that are partially not in your control, such as patiently waiting for the favela scene to load properly, or before some cutscene. some things are unpredictable, and that's what makes this trophy problematic, there are people who have tried literally dozens of times, it was 20-25 attempts for me, this scenario lmg guy especially frozed many times

Definitely, I've personally had to suffer around 10 freezes in my runs.

• 2 weeks later...

And this is the kind of crap why I gave up on Wolfenstein 2's Mein Leben run. Sometimes the game won't progress/locks out, blue screens/crashes for no reason EVEN ON THE PS5 (this is ridiculously BS), and the unskippable cutscenes. This is why I hate permadeath run trophies. Dead Space 2, 3, and The Evil Within 2 got these right, why can't other developers?

After failing in ch13 at the rocket launcher section because Max decided to turn around after picking it up, so I couldn't shoot the vehicle before getting mowed down I decided to try another run. This time, game froze.

I waited before going into the room, no gold guns, no internet. I skipped the cutscenes though and killed the last guy normally. Gotta be more careful next time and implement more things that I've read around here. Game's digital version btw, latest patch.

Was my 4th attempt and probably would've had my trophy were it not for this glitch. Welp, tomorrow is another day, hopefully with shadows rushing me by end of it.

Edited by AlexanderLykan

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who is attempting NYMHC, and doesn't want to take any chances with the notorious Chapter 13 freeze.

1. Before entering the room where to heavy elite LMG guy spawns, stand on the rug before the door, and wait until Max says his dialogue. "Whatever depressing fate lay... etc."
  2. Pause game for 5-10 mins.
  3. Kill guys in middle of room in any order, and guy in left side office. (I personally didn't kill anyone in bullet time, but my friend did)
  4. There will be two guys left in the right side offices.
  5. One camps a desk in the office closer to the door you entered. This guy is notorious for freezing the game if you kill him last, and I had it happen once. Don't kill him last (he wears a helmet).
  6. Second guy is bald. He will usually come out of the office which is a good thing. Lure him to the back left corner of the room and face him. Let him put you in last stand and kill him.
  7. LMG guy will spawn, and put him down however you like.

*Disclaimer

I am not stating this is 100% fact. This is just what I did after one of my runs froze in this area, and I was not going to risk it happening again. I pulled info from other people in this post, and this is the version I came up with. My friend and I did this exact method on our runs, and both were successful. Both runs were on digital versions of game, online, and gold guns enabled. 

Edited by GinjAJ
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 2021-09-29 at 1:48 PM, GinjAJ said:

For anyone who is attempting NYMHC, and doesn't want to take any chances with the notorious Chapter 13 freeze.

1. Before entering the room where to heavy elite LMG guy spawns, stand on the rug before the door, and wait until Max says his dialogue. "Whatever depressing fate lay... etc."
  2. Pause game for 5-10 mins.
  3. Kill guys in middle of room in any order, and guy in left side office. (I personally didn't kill anyone in bullet time, but my friend did)
  4. There will be two guys left in the right side offices.
  5. One camps a desk in the office closer to the door you entered. This guy is notorious for freezing the game if you kill him last, and I had it happen once. Don't kill him last (he wears a helmet).
  6. Second guy is bald. He will usually come out of the office which is a good thing. Lure him to the back left corner of the room and face him. Let him put you in last stand and kill him.
  7. LMG guy will spawn, and put him down however you like.

*Disclaimer

I am not stating this is 100% fact. This is just what I did after one of my runs froze in this area, and I was not going to risk it happening again. I pulled info from other people in this post, and this is the version I came up with. My friend and I did this exact method on our runs, and both were successful. Both runs were on digital versions of game, online, and gold guns enabled. 

Great tips, this worked for me. For some reason my gut tells me #5 about NOT killing the crouched helmet guy behind the desk last is one of the most important steps, as well as either melee killing the last guy/letting him LMS you for the kill.

In every run I always killed the helmet guy, then the bald guy. But on the run where the game froze on me I killed the helmet guy last just based on the different positioning they ended up in. The second that bullet hit his head the game froze immediately and the disc made a weird sound lol.