Easily the best title in the assassins creed series for me.

Grample_Gust

My personal favorite is AC2 and I really didn't care for AC3 in the end. But it's by no means a bad game. I just didn't care for Connor for my own reasons and going from Renaissance Italy to Constantinople and then being plopped into Colonial Boston and rundown New York, it was just ehhh for me. But again that's just my opinion. 

Really glad you were able to find a lot of enjoyment out of the game though.

I'll never understand the extreme amount of hate this game got. But every time i read a negative comment, it was always about nit-picky stuff that doesnt actually effect the experience. Personally when i first picked this up on launch i was blown away. I was completely un-aware of the hatred that the internet was throwing at it. But its easily my favorite in the series for many reasons, and here is why.

It had:

- The best story in the series. Including the best characters. Villains. And connor himself. (I know, i know, but its my opinion darn you!)

-The best gameplay. This game revamped the entire series'es gameplay system. The amount of options in this game felt endless. You could air-assassinate with any weapon, the killing animations were brutal and satisfying, the constantly large amount of enemies on screen made combat feel fluid and never-ending. The parkour was easier and more fluid then ever, connor could climb any surface imaginable. The stealth was actually a key component and it gave you more options then ever. Corner hiding, jumping in bushes, the rope dart, the bow, heck, you could even play as a passive ninja and not kill anyone by choking them unconscious. Not to mention hunting was really fleshed out and once again offered so many possibilities.

- And at a technical stand-point, nothing is more impressive. Connor holds the world record for most animations in a videogame, over 2,000, in fact. The physics on connors cloths and weapons made him feel heavy. The sound-effects when you smash people sounded extremely brutal, and the graphics were the best in the series until AC4 came out.

- And finally, the multiplayer. They added many new options, made it tighter, increased the stuff on screen at once. It was fantastic. So fantastic that i eventually reached prestige 3. Probably spent over 200 hours playing it.

Now for the obvious cons, or (con) rather. This game was the buggiest, most unpolished thing i have ever played. If they wouldn't had patched it up when they did. The glitches would've driven me mad. Once they finally got all that sorted and done, this game got even better. Other then that there are no glaring issues that i can think of on top of my head.

Overall i give it a 10/10. No joke, this is everything i wanted in assassins creed. I must've spent over 70 hours across two play-throughs in single-player, and over 200 hours in the addictive multiplayer. What do you guys think? From what ive heard im in the minority, most people will say AC2 is the best, but with its outdated gameplay, it doesn't hold up as well as it could. And with ACIVs none-existent story and copy/pasted gameplay, i dont see a reason to pick that one over 3.

Can I have some of that crack you're smoking?

• Like 2

Yeah I enjoyed it as well. Wasn't my favourite, but still not a bad game by any means (like some people make it out to be). Loved the Homestead idea, interesting story missions and different setting.

A few things I didn't like included the very glitchy gameplay (when I played it a few years ago anyway), graphics (sub-par in my opinion) and 'open world' with not a heap to do. I also found the layout of the cities (particularly New York) to be quite flat and a bit boring (compared to the exciting city scales of ACII, for example).

For me personally, my favourites go: ACII > ACIV > AC (original) > ACIII > AC:Brotherhood > AC: Revelations

I am a massive fan of the series though; despite the faults people find with the games (of which I am definitely aware), I still buy them every year. Looking forward to Unity (and maybe Rogue) later this year :D

EU plus got in in 2013

Thank you, I wasn't aware of that. I wish we got it on this side of the pond, though I suppose it is pretty cheap these days. 

Can I have some of that crack you're smoking?

What a well though out response, thank you for sharing your opinions on the matter!  :rolleyes:

Parker

• Like 3

I have enjoyed all the games from the AC series. But AC3 is one of my least favourite, found the story and characters to be mostly boring. AC4 doesn't have a strong story but I found it much more enjoyable than this game, I really liked Edward Kenway but the same can't be said for Connor. AC3 also starts off way to slowly as other people have said - did we really need a tutorial that seemed to last for hours? Don't mean to sound like I'm bashing the game, the gameplay was really good and enjoyable - but I wouldn't play the game again.

My favourites are AC2>AC: Brotherhood>AC4>AC: Revelations>AC3>AC1

• Like 1

I plan to get back on this...one day but the thing that originally put me off from it in 2012 (yes, since near its release) is the incredibly slow pacing of the story and ridiculous 100% syncronization requirements. More of the former than the latter. Seriously, I think I made it all the way up to Memory Sequence 5 and Connor still hadn't become an assassin yet!!! Mass Effect came out for the PS3 and I haven't looked back since. There are just so many other games that look more interesting than this was but I also want to continue on with the series without missing anything too...

Edited by merciful84

I plan to get back on this...one day but the thing that originally put me off from it in 2012 (yes, since near its release) is the incredibly slow pacing of the story and ridiculous 100% syncronization requirements. More of the former than the latter. Seriously, I think I made it all the way up to Memory Sequence 5 and Connor still hadn't become an assassin yet!!! Mass Effect came out for the PS3 and I haven't looked back since. There are just so many other games that look more interesting than this was but I also want to continue on with the series without missing anything too...

Ezio never became an assassin until sequence 12 in AC2 lol. But in all seriousness, i can see why people were disapointed. The trailers showed off fast paced gameplay which wasn't as constant in the final product, which i can see being an issue for people, but honestly without those first 3 sequences where you play as haythem this game wouldn't make any sense. If they cut that part out and just left the first 3 sequences as connor, it would've flowed better for people. But it wouldn't have made sense from a narrative stand-point. And now that i think about it, it would've made so much more sense if they somehow gave people the option to start from the very beginning or when you first take control of connor. Man, i should work at ubisoft. I think ideas like this would really bring people to like these games more.

I respect your opinion, but I'd like to share my opinion on AC 3 too. 

AC3 had the potential to be the best AC game, but that potential was wasted. Engineers claim the creative team just wanted too much, and I agree. While ship combat was a good feature, that was only one needle inn a haystack made of crap. Underground tunnel exploration, weird Assassin recruit system, that awful pivot thing, Desmond's story conclusion, even the homestead missions (even though they were alright). They were just spread too thin, and it was too ambitious of a game.

But those are only reasons why AC3 could've been a great game, sadly, there's many more reasons why AC3 is a bad game. I'll start with the most obvious, the bugs. I've just played through AC3 recently, and I have to say, it's still as buggy as it was in 2012. Missing audio, leaving gunshots and sword battles looking fake, annoying parkour issues, e.g running up a hill and Connor suddenly doing the animation for running up a 90 degree wall. I fell through the map multiple times, I've had parts where no matter how far away I ran, the guards wouldn't exit hostile mode, hell, even my ship was flying in the air at one point. And there were the more common bugs, like framerate issues, npcs spawning in right in front of you etc. The bugs and wasted potential make this game worse than it could've been, but I'm not done yet. After all this, I'd still rate it an 8/10, but it gets worse.

The story is about as underdeveloped as Ride to Hell Retribution. It's almost laughable. So many times were scenes extremely important to the game cut, that I no longer cared about the story by the end. I get that Connor didn't uphold the Assassin's tradition, but so much is left unexplained. Why are his hidden blades different (they pop out and turn into daggers), How come Achilles doesn't give a shit about his father being the TEMPLAR GRAND MASTER. The targets themselves were piss poor, and the game tried to give them a ounce of personality by making them tell Connor they were doing the right thing. I don't want to talk about the setting. The Revolution. Awkward gameplay scenes, the battles have no weight, all the characters are met once and discarded, it feels pointless. And it's laughable when Connor says "enjoy your victory, it'll be the last I deliver you", when all he did was ride a horse around like an asshole for 10 minutes.

Connor is a boring character. Sure, he isn't a ladies man like Ezio, but even Chris Redfield from Resident Evil has more personality. I didn't give a shit when he killed his 'best friend', because why should I? I hadn't seen that character in hours of gameplay I'd almost forgotten him! Connor just took orders from everyone the entire game, even when breaking out of jail he's told what to do. 

Sorry for the long ramble, but I think AC3 is a bad game (6 or 7/10 'bad', not bad bad. I'm a huge AC fan, and I think AC3 is by far the worst). I could go into more detail with my points, but I just wanted to share my thoughts about the game quickly. I really hope AC Unity is better than 3. It looks like from the story trailer Arno has more character than Connor.

Dang dude, you ripped into this game. These parts made me laugh the most.

Ezio never became an assassin until sequence 12 in AC2 lol. But in all seriousness, i can see why people were disapointed. The trailers showed off fast paced gameplay which wasn't as constant in the final product, which i can see being an issue for people, but honestly without those first 3 sequences where you play as haythem this game wouldn't make any sense. If they cut that part out and just left the first 3 sequences as connor, it would've flowed better for people. But it wouldn't have made sense from a narrative stand-point. And now that i think about it, it would've made so much more sense if they somehow gave people the option to start from the very beginning or when you first take control of connor. Man, i should work at ubisoft. I think ideas like this would really bring people to like these games more.

Technicalities, technicalities...ok: HE DOESN'T GET HIS COOL ASSASSIN POWERS UNTIL MEMORY SEQUENCE 5...happy? You start assassining people as Ezio in memory sequence 2 and AC II doesn't start you off by boring the auidence with hours of agonizingly slow storytelling like ACIII does. It just felt like a huge step back especially after the last 3 games before it allows you to dive into action AS the main character a lot sooner. Seriously, I shouldn't be 3 memory sequences in and have yet to meet the main character but have played with boring ole' Desmond more.

I think they could have reduced playing as Haythem down to one memory sequence. Like I said, you play the game more as other people besides the main character at least up to sequence 5 which is over an hour into the game!

Edited by merciful84

There's things 3 did better and things it did worse, here's what i can name from the top of my head:

+dem graphics

+naval combat

+overall movement improved

+haytham is the best character ever

+shit actually happened in the desmond story

-combat feels a bit more stiff

-trees aren't as fun to climb as the rooftops of venice etc.

-connor is the worst character ever

-the shit that happens in the desmond story is bullshit

-no double assassinations (this is a big deal for some reason)

-sidequests are pretty meh, but still better than Revelations

-story takes way too long to get started

-the ending. **** that ****ing ending.

I could probably write a whole essay on the matter as AC3 turned me from a diehard fan of the series into someone who couldn't care less about the upcoming ACwhatever, but i guess i'll just leave it at that.

• Like 1

I could probably write a whole essay on the matter as AC3 turned me from a diehard fan of the series into someone who couldn't care less about the upcoming ACwhatever, but i guess i'll just leave it at that.

Definately this for me too but I really do want to get back into the series. Just memories of this entry and my backlog kinda kill my motivation to though

Edited by merciful84

For me i have so much hate because i really loved the story of desmond and only stuck with the series through five(?) games to see how it ended and with the hope of one day finally having a game with no animus crap but set in modern times with desmond as the sole protagonist, and seeing the storyline end with absolutely nothing for desmond and a strange way of forcing the story to keep going just ruined it all for me.

I didnt hate the mechanics or gameplay at all personally, it was just purely because of how badly they messed up the story that made me never touch the series again.

• Like 1

There's things 3 did better and things it did worse, here's what i can name from the top of my head:

+dem graphics

+naval combat

+overall movement improved

+haytham is the best character ever

+shit actually happened in the desmond story

-combat feels a bit more stiff

-trees aren't as fun to climb as the rooftops of venice etc.

-connor is the worst character ever

-the shit that happens in the desmond story is bullshit

-no double assassinations (this is a big deal for some reason)

-sidequests are pretty meh, but still better than Revelations

-story takes way too long to get started

-the ending. **** that ****ing ending.

You can double assassinate. And everything else is just nit-picky and completely subjective. I know that sound hypocritical, but can you at least elaborate on why you think these things? 

You can double assassinate. And everything else is just nit-picky and completely subjective. I know that sound hypocritical, but can you at least elaborate on why you think these things?

Yeah sure, most of this is based on my own opinion, i'm not saying people that liked 3 the most have no right to think so. I played the game on release and i couldn't get double assassinations to work, but it seems this was a bug which has been fixed by now. Still, it was ine of the reasons i didn't like the game on my playthrough. Now let me further explain my criticisms.

-The combat

Combat has been made a little harder by taking away your ability to cut through enemy hordes like butter. This could be seen as a good thing, as a combat was always way too easy in the previous titles, but the problem for me was that it was still too easy. I no longer had the satisfaction of destroying a patrol of guards like it was my birthright, but combat turned into a rather annoying routine.

1. Hit the dude

2.Wait for him to attack so you can parry

3. Oh wait now he's backing up to shoot me

4. Hit the dude again

5. Wait again

6. Oh now they're trying to all shoot me at the same time

7. Grab the dude

8. Wait for them to shoot me

9. Ok cool they shot the dude

10. Hit another dude

11. Oh, he's backing up again

12. Fuck it

13. Shoot everybody

There's too much waiting involved, which is poison to any form of combat system.

-The parkour

Reason number 1: Roofs are no longer flat and much further away from each other. This is really annoying when you're trying to navigate the city through the rooftops like you did in previous titles.

Reason number 2: You climb up a massive building in previous titles, what do you see? A badass view of the entire city. You climb up a church in AC3, what do you see? Lots of smaller buildings, maybe a field or another church. You climb up a tree what do you see? More trees.

-Connor

I really don't like him. It's hard to say why though, he's too naive and just doesn't feel like as much of a badass as previous protagonists. This is a really personal complaint though, can't really explain it all that well.

-Desmond

I actually kinda liked the Desmond story in the previous games. There were some cool characters there and Abstergo was a great villain if you ask me. There was so much mystery around them and the previous games did an excellent job at presenting them as this super powerful company with unlimited resources and influence. Now what do they do in AC3? Jackshit really, everything that was built up in the previous games gets resolved in the most lazy way possible. Desmond goes there and kicks their asses with no effort at all. Why didn't he just do that after AC2? He was just as skilled then as he is now, so why didn't he just fart at them to resolve every form of conflict that was ever thereto begin with. Then there's the ending. Spoiler alert for all the AC games. So it turns out on the the gods (i'll just call them that because i forgot if there was any name they went by) is actually evil. No differing philosophies like the templars and the assassins, just eviiiiiiil. So Desmond gets to choose if i should sacrifice himself and doom humanity by releasing a super powerful evil force to enslave them , or to rebuild humanity from scratch, beginning a new age. Now what's wrong with this? The game ends on a decision and you don't even get to decide it, bevause Ubisoft wants to sell you a new AC game every year now. So Desmond has to do the most stupid thing possible: Release the evil superforce onto humanity and hope for the best as he is killed off anticlimatically. Also if one of the gods is evil, why didn't any of the other ones say something like: "Hey, you should probably watch out for that one chick, she'll try to kill you and enslave your planet"? Why did they even direct Desmond here if they didn't want him to sacrifice himself? It has bedn established that there is many more temples, just send him to one of them and be like: "Yo dawg, you better survive the apocalypse and rebuild humanity" like in Terminator 3? (Spoiler of Terminator 3 i'm sorry). **** that ending.

-The sidequests

I don't remember a single sidequest from this game, other than the one that had you hunting for Captain Whatevers treasure. This quest was pretty cool and in the past games you would have gotten a badass armor set for it, so this game gives you better bullet resistance for your efforts. I also remember all the quests that involved building a village, which was just what you'd want to see in a game about stabbing dudes. But then again, naval combat was really cool.

-The Pacing

When you pop up an Assassin's Creed game, there is one thing you wanna do. Get your badass hood and start stabbing people. Now in AC3 you first have to play as Haytham a whole lot so thst the game can throw a plottwist at you, then play hide and seek while the most annoying music ever keeps playing in the background, then complete your training until you cann actually do assassin stuff. This is the fifth game in your franchise Ubisoft everybody knows what they want from it. There's no reason to have us play a 5 hour tutorial, we've all played the previous games, we know what assassins do already geez.

Extra Criticism

You can't kill people with brooms anymore. Why.

So that's my extended thoughts on why i didn't like AC3 all that much. Everybody's still entitled to their own opinion but i hope you've gained somewhat of an understanding of my position on the matter.

• Like 1

Yeah sure, most of this is based on my own opinion, i'm not saying people that liked 3 the most have no right to think so. I played the game on release and i couldn't get double assassinations to work, but it seems this was a bug which has been fixed by now. Still, it was ine of the reasons i didn't like the game on my playthrough. Now let me further explain my criticisms.

-The combat

Combat has been made a little harder by taking away your ability to cut through enemy hordes like butter. This could be seen as a good thing, as a combat was always way too easy in the previous titles, but the problem for me was that it was still too easy. I no longer had the satisfaction of destroying a patrol of guards like it was my birthright, but combat turned into a rather annoying routine.

1. Hit the dude

2.Wait for him to attack so you can parry

3. Oh wait now he's backing up to shoot me

4. Hit the dude again

5. Wait again

6. Oh now they're trying to all shoot me at the same time

7. Grab the dude

8. Wait for them to shoot me

9. Ok cool they shot the dude

10. Hit another dude

11. Oh, he's backing up again

12. Fuck it

13. Shoot everybody

There's too much waiting involved, which is poison to any form of combat system.

-The parkour

Reason number 1: Roofs are no longer flat and much further away from each other. This is really annoying when you're trying to navigate the city through the rooftops like you did in previous titles.

Reason number 2: You climb up a massive building in previous titles, what do you see? A badass view of the entire city. You climb up a church in AC3, what do you see? Lots of smaller buildings, maybe a field or another church. You climb up a tree what do you see? More trees.

-Connor

I really don't like him. It's hard to say why though, he's too naive and just doesn't feel like as much of a badass as previous protagonists. This is a really personal complaint though, can't really explain it all that well.

-Desmond

I actually kinda liked the Desmond story in the previous games. There were some cool characters there and Abstergo was a great villain if you ask me. There was so much mystery around them and the previous games did an excellent job at presenting them as this super powerful company with unlimited resources and influence. Now what do they do in AC3? Jackshit really, everything that was built up in the previous games gets resolved in the most lazy way possible. Desmond goes there and kicks their asses with no effort at all. Why didn't he just do that after AC2? He was just as skilled then as he is now, so why didn't he just fart at them to resolve every form of conflict that was ever thereto begin with. Then there's the ending. Spoiler alert for all the AC games. So it turns out on the the gods (i'll just call them that because i forgot if there was any name they went by) is actually evil. No differing philosophies like the templars and the assassins, just eviiiiiiil. So Desmond gets to choose if i should sacrifice himself and doom humanity by releasing a super powerful evil force to enslave them , or to rebuild humanity from scratch, beginning a new age. Now what's wrong with this? The game ends on a decision and you don't even get to decide it, bevause Ubisoft wants to sell you a new AC game every year now. So Desmond has to do the most stupid thing possible: Release the evil superforce onto humanity and hope for the best as he is killed off anticlimatically. Also if one of the gods is evil, why didn't any of the other ones say something like: "Hey, you should probably watch out for that one chick, she'll try to kill you and enslave your planet"? Why did they even direct Desmond here if they didn't want him to sacrifice himself? It has bedn established that there is many more temples, just send him to one of them and be like: "Yo dawg, you better survive the apocalypse and rebuild humanity" like in Terminator 3? (Spoiler of Terminator 3 i'm sorry). **** that ending.

-The sidequests

I don't remember a single sidequest from this game, other than the one that had you hunting for Captain Whatevers treasure. This quest was pretty cool and in the past games you would have gotten a badass armor set for it, so this game gives you better bullet resistance for your efforts. I also remember all the quests that involved building a village, which was just what you'd want to see in a game about stabbing dudes. But then again, naval combat was really cool.

-The Pacing

When you pop up an Assassin's Creed game, there is one thing you wanna do. Get your badass hood and start stabbing people. Now in AC3 you first have to play as Haytham a whole lot so thst the game can throw a plottwist at you, then play hide and seek while the most annoying music ever keeps playing in the background, then complete your training until you cann actually do assassin stuff. This is the fifth game in your franchise Ubisoft everybody knows what they want from it. There's no reason to have us play a 5 hour tutorial, we've all played the previous games, we know what assassins do already geez.

Extra Criticism

You can't kill people with brooms anymore. Why.

So that's my extended thoughts on why i didn't like AC3 all that much. Everybody's still entitled to their own opinion but i hope you've gained somewhat of an understanding of my position on the matter.

Loved your reply, this is the type of critisism i like to see, clear, concise, and easy to understand. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• 1 month later...

I think it is a great game and even though I didn't experience much bugs because of the patch that was fixed and I played it with the patch fixed, it is great game overall. I like the story, music and characters as well. Connor was good even if he was too moody or angry a lot. It showed his pain from his past. Even though Ezio suffered the same as Connor but wasn't so angry or aggressive a lot. I do give this game part 3... 7.5/10 or 8/10. :)

I do also finally mention, gameplay was really good. My problem was they didn't add much music for the gameplay

Edited by MissLuxii

I can post a ton of reasons why I hate this game as much as the first. You can say a few of them im just nitpicking at but the majority of them are very valid points to why its the worst in the series.

-Bugs bugs bugs. Poorly optimized game. Glitched trophies/Sync progress. Enemies glitching out randomly. NPCs that pop in out of no where, I can understand from a distance but in this game it literally happens right in front of you alot of the time. #immersionkiller

-Very bland setting. Boston looks exactly like New York. The buildings all look like clones, did they even bother making any of them unique? In the past and future games they put a ton of unique buildings that half the time you didnt even realize how many of them were copies/clones.

-The Story was one of the most slow paced stories ever. There was a really good part in the middle where Connor and his Father bonded for awhile and went on missions but without spoiling it just went to being boring again towards the end. The Desmond half of the story was pretty good though ill give it that.

-The way they did the map was horrible as well. The colors they used, the way you uncover the fog.. it was hard to tell from the places you been to or not. MAJOR step backwards from past games.

Edited by MafiaBrett
  • Like 1

I liked the game for the American Revolution aspect. Things like "Connor's personality being boring" didn't effect the gameplay for me... in fact I didn't even think about whether or not he was "boring", I was too caught up in the game. For me it was like being a Native American, being in the war. It's probably my favourite game in the series, but then again like I said, I love the Revolution. If I did have to give an opinion on Connor's character, I wouldn't say he was boring. Out of all the assassins I'd say he had the highest moral standards. (Maybe that's why he's not liked?) When he got angry it was about injustice. Connor was a "NOW" assassin.

But despite my opinion, I think Black Flag was the best thing ever done for the series, and it's really a toss-up between the two for me. Playing Unity as well and while gorgeous, it just didn't grab me the same way the last two have (to say nothing of the bugs :facepalm:).

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Totally agree with you, this is easily one of my favorite AC games next to Revelations and Brotherhood. I've really enjoyed all the Assassin's Creed games I've played (except for Rogue, Unity, Chronicles, an Liberation) ever since the first one. But Connor is definitely my most favorite Assassin.

Personally, I think his overall look, style, and attitude make him the most badass assassin I've played from this series. I'm really hoping I see him again in next-gen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree with you, this is easily one of my favorite AC games next to Revelations and Brotherhood. I've really enjoyed all the Assassin's Creed games I've played (except for Rogue, Unity, Chronicles, an Liberation) ever since the first one. But Connor is definitely my most favorite Assassin.

Personally, I think his overall look, style, and attitude make him the most badass assassin I've played from this series. I'm really hoping I see him again in next-gen.

I absolutely agree with you on that. Connor is one of if not my personal favorite video game protagonist of all time. No other game character is quite as unique.

I felt that Brotherhood was the best assassin's creed game, but III came in on close second due to its new gameplay and setting. What made III lose out against Brotherhood was that it wasn't as polished as it could be on day one and the characters was a bit iffy, although I did like Haythem. I would have said Black Flag, but that one is really more of a pirate spinoff from Assassin's Creed, but it was still a good game.