About vents

Gatatog

Just wondering: is it possible to get attacked while climbing around in the vents? I finished mission 7 earlier on and some of the most terrifying moments in the game so far have been when climbing around in the vents, knowing the Alien is doing exactly the same and having no idea whether or not I'll run into him. After all, there's nowhere to hide while you're inside there.

I've seen him climb into the same vents openings I can enter but I don't know if he stalks the same tunnels or if he goes off in another direction to his exclusive vent system.

Basically, if I'm in the vents, trying to avoid or bypass him or any of the other enemies, can I run into him or have him drop down onto me?

Yes, he can get inside the vents, and attack you, so basically, if he's inside the vents, and is already running at you (and you can't run, due to crouching) you're dead, unless you have the flamethrower to stun him, or have him get away from you when you burn him. I think he can jump down from vents as well, but most of the time, he'll just grab you from above if you walk below the vents that the alien uses.

• Like 2

Yes, he can get inside the vents, and attack you, so basically, if he's inside the vents, and is already running at you (and you can't run, due to crouching) you're dead, unless you have the flamethrower to stun him, or have him get away from you when you burn him. I think he can jump down from vents as well, but most of the time, he'll just grab you from above if you walk below the vents that the alien uses.

I haven't completed the game yet but so far (after a couple of hours gameplay) I've understood it's mainly using another infrastructure of vents of its own. Because usually it uses the vents above you and you can use the vents on the floor level and below. I haven't confronted it a single time in the vents so I consider moving in there fairly safe.

I guess I'll change my mind the first time face to face with the creature in the narrow vents.

• Like 1

I haven't completed the game yet but so far (after a couple of hours gameplay) I've understood it's mainly using another infrastructure of vents of its own. Because usually it uses the vents above you and you can use the vents on the floor level and below. I haven't confronted it a single time in the vents so I consider moving in there fairly safe.

I guess I'll change my mind the first time face to face with the creature in the narrow vents.

I don't think it randomly gets in the vents that you use, but it did get in the vents with me when it saw me get in, or was looking for me. It was rare for me to encounter the Alien inside the vents with me, though. And yeah, the Alien has it own way of using the vent system, which is how it climbs above you, and can snatch you if you walk below the Alien's standing-point. I mostly just know the Alien is above when I see the Alien's drool (saliva) come down from the vent it's on top of, or if I was running and it snatched me up right away, as I haven't realized there was a vent above me. But the Alien can definitely get inside the same vents that you use to transport to someplace else. But for me, it was a rare sight to encounter the Alien inside narrow vents, which I guess it's good, for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't encountered it in any vents yet, but it has grabbed me from the ceiling a bunch of times. I get so involved with what is around me, I always forget to regularly look up and make sure there aren't any ceiling openings above me hehe. I am almost at the end of the game now (I think) and I have loved every minute of this game. It has been one of the most tense experiences i've ever encountered in a videogame.

• 6 months later...

It jumped into the vent a few feet in front of me as I was waiting under the hatch for it to leave so I could come out...  Needless to say I panicked and jumped out, but yes.  I think the idea is that it can get you anywhere, at any time.  You are never safe. 

I do also think he has his own tunnels though...  I think the idea there is he sounds close to shake you up, but you aren't in as much danger as if he's running along the corridor.  

• 1 year later...

My most terrifying moment was in a vent.

I wasn't using my flashlight to save the battery but it was getting too dark to see and i could hear scratching around me. I turned the flashlight on and he was about 5 ft infront of me running at me. For me it was such a huge jump scare that i went light headed and dizzy. That's never happened to me before in any game or movie.. 

So basically you died like Captain Dallas did from Alien? 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I freakin hated it when the Alien would go in the vents. The asshole did it in Mission 17, just as I was about to escape to the Spaceflight Terminal. Because the Alien did not kill me once on hard mode in 17, the game's A.I decided 'Welp, you don't get past this without an unfair confrontation'. The second time I went to escape, I made sure to drop a timed Noisemaker in another room, before going in.

Edited by Eraezr

• 6 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2014 at 6:13 AM, Risky said:

My most terrifying moment was in a vent.
I wasn't using my flashlight to save the battery but it was getting too dark to see and i could hear scratching around me. I turned the flashlight on and he was about 5 ft infront of me running at me. For me it was such a huge jump scare that i went light headed and dizzy. That's never happened to me before in any game or movie.. 

I laughed at this more than I should have.