What annoys you most in gaming?

ANTIOX_

Camera angles without a doubt. The single most annoying thing when playing a game and you are trying to traverse the terrain, and you get to a cliff or something and your view of the game all of a sudden goes to the face of the wall or out in the distance pointing in the direction you are NOT going.

This just points to poor game design. I don't like that.

OH my lord, this describes all sonic games.

Gotta say, when playing a bit of Sonic Unleashed, I had never been so angry at Camera angles

For me it would have to be;

1: People who have music blaring through their headsets and/or sing (Seriously, shut the hell up!!)

2: Little brats who hurl abuse and brainless insults at you if you beat them

3: Cowards who disconnect just as they're about to lose

4: Anyone who is racist, homophobic, or anything else that's similar and just spouts their disgusting diatribe throughout a match or afterwards

5: People who think one country has a worse gaming attitude than any other (I've played against a fair share of Americans and Brits, and a vast majority of them have been good sports)

6: Arrogant or Elitist players

7: Players who accuse you of cheating or exploiting just because you throughly trounce them

8: Online Trophies of any kind

9: Collectible Trophies

10: Incredibly tedious Trophies for non-RPG titles (I'm looking at you, Soulcalibur V and your 'Winds of Battle" Trophy)

11: People who make a big deal of how many more platinums they have than you

This list hits most of my gripes. However, I would like to add a couple more.

12: Day 1 updates. Stop trying to sell me unfinished games.

13: Day 1 dlc. Stop trying to sell me half a game at full price then nickel and dime me for the rest of it.

14: Check points before difficult battles followed by unskipable and lengthy cutscenes.

15: Poor camera angles. Especially when precision is needed. Makes me feel like the game wasn't properly tested. Refer to #12.

• 4 weeks later...

What annoys me most would have to be getting a platinum trophy, sitting at 100%, only to see it a few months later drop to 80%. DLC should have a separate counter. I don't like feeling obligated to shell out more money to keep my completion at 100%, just because they released DLC.

Also, I find the immaturity and crass language used by most online gamers to be brutal. It is difficult to find good people to play with an actually chat to. I guess that's way we have sites like this one :)

• Like 2

Cutscenes that cant be skipped.

When you're enjoying a game then randomly there is one super hard part which ruins the fun.

Brits raging online over the mics.

High levels that show skill of low levels.

People online who use unfair weapons. (Uncharted 3 - KAL, Battlefield 3 - USAS)

People stealing your kills. (e.g Mass effect 3 demo, uncharted 2-3, Metal Gear online)

Basically playing with/agaisnt fools >_>

Spammers

Campers

People kicking you for no reason

Cheaters

Disconnecters

So....... multiplayer, haha :P BTW, I agree with your post.

Many of the items listed in all the posts above as well as:

1. People playing team-based games without a mic where communication is essential (Silver and Gold level challenges in ME3)
  2. People that want to talk about [annoying topic here] throughout the whole course of a MP match (Radio chatter to a minimum please). I find it very distracting. I don't mind discussing our strategy on the fly or whatever is relevant to the current match but, I don't want to talk about what you had for breakfast (or whatever).
  3. Online Trophies
  4. Online Trophies
  5. Online Trophies. I realize i've listed this multiple times. ME3 does a brilliant job of allowing you to either participate in MP or not; you can earn the trophies in MP or SP (your choice). This, to me, is how all games with an online component should be; or like the Uncharted game(s) where you were required to play a match and test it out.
  6. Collectible trophies that contribute nothing to the game (other than being a number of items collected). I don't normally have a problem with them if they unlock something or offer you a "currency" to purchase upgrades/extras in the game.
  7. Mini-games that are required to be completed where the gameplay is 100% different (and usually irrelevant) than the rest of the game. Examples would include the Dash Circuit in 3D Dot Game Heroes, the racing games in Sly Cooper 1, the arcade game in Rachet & Clank :shakefist:

I'm sure there are more but, these are the ones that sprung to mind.

People that want to talk about [annoying topic here] throughout the whole course of a MP match (Radio chatter to a minimum please). I find it very distracting. I don't mind discussing our strategy on the fly or whatever is relevant to the current match but, I don't want to talk about what you had for breakfast (or whatever).

IMHO, if you have a team of players who know how to work as a team, know the objectives, and don't need hand-holding, I have no problems chit-chatting about this and that. I for one find no distractions if someone is talking about (insert subject here) if they also are quick to say "Sniper on the right" or "Coming in behind you", etc. when needed.

• Like 1

IMHO, if you have a team of players who know how to work as a team, know the objectives, and don't need hand-holding, I have no problems chit-chatting about this and that. I for one find no distractions if someone is talking about (insert subject here) if they also are quick to say "Sniper on the right" or "Coming in behind you", etc. when needed.

Fair enough Wade. I have found myself in conversation as well once i've gotten comfortable in a particular game and am playing with people I "know" fairly well. I guess I should/could clarify that I don't want People that want to talk about [annoying topic here] when they are Randoms or know we are in a tough challenge. I'm probably over-sensitive to it because I need to focus to succeed and that type of chatter is unbelievably distracting; i'm not one of God's gifts to the gaming industry that can dominate any disc I throw into my PS3 :shakefist: unfortunately. :P

• Like 1

Online:

• Campers of all types
  • Unbalanced teams
  • Unbalanced weapons, if an FPS
  • Idiot team mates

Offline:

• Impossible or Perfect AI Opponents. A prime example being Gran Turismo 5, they drive like they're slot cars and rarely do they screw up.
  • Insanely Hard Challenges. For me this is the Special Event times in Gran Turismo 5 and all of the Challenges in the God of War franchise as a couple examples.
  • Terrible Controls. This is something that utterly cripples and otherwise good game. I don't have an example because I rarely have this issue with games but sometimes Alice: Madness Returns would not respond properly to my button presses.
  • Moronic trophies. For me now I just get trophies as I go unless I really want a platinum. I hate the ones like "complete this chapter" I'm going to do that anyways so why is there a trophy attached to it? Trophies should be about skill, making the player do things he/she won't normally do. For example the Grand Theft Auto 4 trophies. While these trophies are nuts they do make the player do things that doesn't progress the story, such as rolling your car 5 times. Multiplayer trophies fall under this category, they're a hindrance especially after a game's servers close.
  • Terrible Graphics. First of all graphics do not make or break a game for me BUT each generation has a set standard of graphical capabilities and thus a modern PS3 game should look damn good. That said if a game has bad graphics, for it's generation, then it nearly kills the experience.
  • Length and Quality of Gameplay. This is mainly an issue with FPS games as they seem to be all about multiplayer now, but not every FPS does this. Developers will throw in a quick and lackluster single player campaign mode while focusing on the multiplayer mode thus the offline experience is bad. I have an idea for the developers who do this, why bother doing single player at all?!
  • Lack of Replayability. This REALLY matters to me. I love video games and if I have a game I really enjoy I want to be able to play it again from the beginning. for example Just Cause 2 is fun for me to play over and over again while something like Gran Turismo 5 with it's difficult may not be so fun to restart but thankfully that's where it's great multiplayer function takes over.

• Like 2

Fair enough Wade. I have found myself in conversation as well once i've gotten comfortable in a particular game and am playing with people I "know" fairly well. I guess I should/could clarify that I don't want People that want to talk about [annoying topic here] when they are Randoms or know we are in a tough challenge. I'm probably over-sensitive to it because I need to focus to succeed and that type of chatter is unbelievably distracting; i'm not one of God's gifts to the gaming industry that can dominate any disc I throw into my PS3 :shakefist: unfortunately. :P

Ok, I see where you are coming from. I am lucky that most of the time, our squad is full of friends that have played a lot of BFBC2/ BF3 together, so our "general chatter" is just a result of our being comfortable with each other. Yeah, with a random I too would rather keep chatter to a minimum until I (or we) can see how we interact with each other.

In regards to the "God Gift" comment......boy can I relate to that!

Have to agree with the design side of things. Graphics, Sound, game play etc... I want to enjoy a game and I love to explore, find things etc so if im going to spend hours in that game I'd like to think that in this day and age the design of a game can still stand out and every now and then make me go ooo!!! So i get quite annoyed when I start to see say lots of texture ripping in a game or silly bugs and glitches like falling through maps and getting stuck on or in something. When you get things like that for me it makes me feel like the development was rushed, things were not tested etc. You can tell the difference on allot of games to weather it was a game with effort or game made purely for sales.

Online it would have to be people that shout, scream, argue, breath heavily, and all that negative stuff on the mic. I don't want to know how fat you think your mates mum is or listen to your music or TV whilst im trying to fight a war over here lOl. Its worse when they don't utter one word but you can still hear them breathing over everything else. Your not using the sodding thing, Mute it!!!

*Competitive shooters

*Unfriendly Trashtalk

*Small children's voices

*People that 1up everything you say

*People that introduce cheap combos into rooms that are playing with lax'd combos (bringing a grenade launcher into a room where everyone is use assault rifles)

*unreasonable collectibles and busy work

*unskippable cutscenes

*unresponsive controller or dated controls

*music, tv shows, or loud conversations usually in foreign languages on my mic

these are my petpeeves... I don't have a drawer of broken controllers

• Like 1

*Competitive shooters

*Unfriendly Trashtalk

*Small children's voices

*People that 1up everything you say

*People that introduce cheap combos into rooms that are playing with lax'd combos (bringing a grenade launcher into a room where everyone is use assault rifles)

*unreasonable collectibles and busy work

*unskippable cutscenes

*unresponsive controller or dated controls

*music, tv shows, or loud conversations usually in foreign languages on my mic

these are my petpeeves... I don't have a drawer of broken controllers

hahaha yes definately especially the mic ones ;)

Online = When people leave and mess up servers, this goes for any online game in general

Trophy = When I have to play the game like 5 times to get a trophy, I get mad and tired of running through the game just for a damn trophy

Story = When I get stuck, when a story isnt straight forward, and I have no idea where to go or do... I just walk or drive around until I get it

Or when I stop playing a game in the middle of a story and I dunno whats going on cuz I forget

people who use glitches to gain unfair advantages in games. However there was one instance where I was amused by two glitchers in killzone 2. I overheard two boys, one was explaining how to preform a glitch that would get you on top of the battlefield area. I went around the corner and killed both of them, few minutes later I heard them again in the same spot trying to preform the glitch, again I killed them both and decided to just camp around the corner for them. After the 4th or 5th time one of them got so pissed off at me and said "That's it, I'm gonna hunt that mother ****er down and kill him" However I was killed by someone else before he could kill me.

Later they finally did preform the glitch and I saw them on top of the area and killed both of them with a LMG. I ran up to where their bodies dropped to and T-Bagged them. I never heard so much rage from two people in all of my life

now for more things that annoy me

people online who uses the phrase "That's what she said" after everything I say, literally.

campers

game breaking glitches that prevent you from clearing the game

Great single player games sequels having a tact on multiplayer mode which makes the single player portion suffer for it.

and dumb AI allies. (i'm looking at you Rico from Killzone 2 and all of your squad mates in SOCOM 4)

For me it would have to be;

1: People who have music blaring through their headsets and/or sing (Seriously, shut the hell up!!)

2: Little brats who hurl abuse and brainless insults at you if you beat them

3: Cowards who disconnect just as they're about to lose

4: Anyone who is racist, homophobic, or anything else that's similar and just spouts their disgusting diatribe throughout a match or afterwards

5: People who think one country has a worse gaming attitude than any other (I've played against a fair share of Americans and Brits, and a vast majority of them have been good sports)

6: Arrogant or Elitist players

7: Players who accuse you of cheating or exploiting just because you throughly trounce them

8: Online Trophies of any kind

9:

10: Incredibly tedious Trophies for non-RPG titles (I'm looking at you, Soulcalibur V and your 'Winds of Battle" Trophy)

11: People who make a big deal of how many more platinums they have than you

This list hits most of my gripes. However, I would like to add a couple more.

12: Day 1 updates. Stop trying to sell me unfinished games.

13: Day 1 dlc. Stop trying to sell me half a game at full price then nickel and dime me for the rest of it.

14: Check points before difficult battles followed by unskipable and lengthy cutscenes.

15: Poor camera angles. Especially when precision is needed. Makes me feel like the game wasn't properly tested. Refer to #12.

This... took nro 9 off, collectible trophies... i actually like them.

Everything else is very right...

After playing some Ghost Recon last night (the Beta is terrific, by the way) I remembered how much I dislike people that take games super seriously. My team lost and a few of our teammates were trash talking the lower level players who didn't do as good as us. People just need to calm down and realize it's a damn video game and it's supposed to be fun. Trash talk is one of my absolute biggest annoyances.

Parker

• Like 2

Hmm, well I have a few. As for gaming in general, I hate it when games that don't give you any idea how to play and just let you figure out everything yourself. Usually when you start a game, it tells you the basic idea and how you should play but some games don't and it's frustrating some times. The only game that comes to mind, having never played it before was Shadows of the Colossus. It barely told you anything and it took me about 5 minutes to figure I'm supposed to climb this giant.

I also hate infinite spawning enemies. I absolutely hate redoing things. One thing that comes to mind is doing a annoying Secret Mission in DMC3 with Vergil, where you have to climb these blocks to reach an orb at the top and if you fall, you have to do it all over again. Same thing with DMC4. You need to grab orbs with the correct timing and if you don't you fall back down, and have to fight a horde of enemies again. But it's nothing ever really too bad, it's just those things after a while, it makes you grow impatient and irritated.

As far as online gaming goes, I dislike cocky or arrogant people. They tend to ruin the fun of playing with other people online. I used to play MvC3 online a lot and some people have the nerve to message you stupid things when you lose. That really annoys me.

-Kids online who sing or scream into the mic

-Players online that are on your team on a co op game and are supposed to HELP you, but do their own thing, leaving you to play by yourself (this happened to me in Diablo II once, and of course the monsters were tougher than if it was me alone because of someone that didnt even fight with me like they were supposed to. Never did play in public games after that)

-People online that are unfair (camp spawning points, etc) and cheaters/hackers online (I once played Nuts and Bolts online and saw this guy whose vehicle was zooming past everyone else's, and not just because it had a fast engine, I mean abnormally fast)

-People that bash/insult people for playing a certain game(s), sometimes which they haven't even played themselves (Pokemon is a great example of this)

-Day 1 DLC (Normally I don't mind this, unless it was stuff that they could have easily put on the disc and still made the game release deadline)

-Crappy DLC (HORSE ARMOR)

-Online trophies

-Lengths of games being butchered because the dev decided to add multiplayer (usually the competitive type, I don't really mind if they add co-op)

-Game content being cut out in order for multiplatform games to fit on the Xbox 360's DVDs (which usually ends up in it having like 3 discs)

-People who tell other people how to play their games (eg, telling people to play games on the hardest difficulty)