What annoys you most in gaming?

ANTIOX_

I get easily annoyed while playing, and usually it's not the game's fault. So, the most annoying thing in gaming is me. 'Cause when I screw up, I know it's my fault. And when I screw up a lot, it gets annoying  :ninja:

I know that didn't make any sense  :blink:

In general, the things that get under my skin are 

crappy controls

horrendous camera angles

unfair deaths / overall messed up difficulty

annoying characters

searching for a match in online games and finding yourself in an empty lobby over and over and over again

If Jak II had multiplayer, I could have just replied with that  :ninja:

Ditto... Nothing ruins a game like Call of Duty or Battlefield more than campers!

I have never understood why people hate campers, its a legitamite tactic! Not everyone has lightning fast reflexes to precisely aim while on the run.

If all you do is run around and shoot you are just cannon fodder in my opinion.

Camping is just defending a position, if you as an opposing player can't remove someone from a defended position you, yourself aren't a very good player. If you get shot the first time you weren't careful enough, a second time you aren't skillful enough, anytime after that you are just an idiot!

The only bad camping is spawn camping, that doesn't take much skill in alot of games.

• Like 1

Trophies are my biggest annoyance. Not because I don't enjoy collecting them or enjoy watching my PSN level increase, but because I know many people who flat out refuse to play fantastic games because the trophy list is hard, or because the game doesn't have a platinum or whatever the case may be. For someone to completely write off a game based on the trophy list is absolutely crazy to me. Even if I a game has a ridiculous trohy list where you don't get a single trophy for story based progress or completing the game, I'd have no problem playing it if it was my cup of tea. Hell, White Knight Chronicles is pretty much like that and I loved that game.

Parker

Similar story here.

I find that even though I don't collect trophies and don't wan't to become a trophy hunter because I think it will detract from my own gaming enjoyment, I end up with a desire to get some of the easier trophies available (other than story based ones) just to say I have them.

I don't like having that mindset as I know it could easily turn in to playing a game and doing tasks just to get a trophy. I have seen trophies (fifa 12 I think is an example) where you get a trophy for something like creating a custom soundtrack so you can listen to your own music. I don't think that should be a trophy. It isn't achieving anything. It just a simple task that gets rewarded with one. Those are the sort of trophies in particular, that are nothing to do with the actual game, that I don't want to end up performing mindless tasks just to get.

I am very much of the opinion that I will play a game I want to and get the trophies I happen to get along the way.

I wouldn't go as far as saying trophies have ruined gaming but, for me certainly, they aren't something I am going to go out of my way to collect

I am going to be the first to say that I don't mind children playing M-rated games (hell I am guilty of it myself) but I HATE it when they are screaming into mics saying O MAH GAWWD YOU KILLED ME! UHACKERYOUWILLSUFFERACRUELDEATH IRL! also people that spam OP things over and over and over and over again.

• Like 1

People without th strength of thier convictions.

So many people said "Ill never buy another Rockstar game" after the stupid trophy list from GTAIV, but lo and behold, most of them bought GTA V with its equally shitty trophy list.

Same with other games, ive seen people say they would vote with thier wallets on so many occasions, only to see them gaining trophies in the games they said they would never play later.

Well, here goes:

I will not buy:

Any GTA game until they make one without bitch-ass multiplayer trophies.

Any Jak and Daxter game until they issue a public apology for Jak 2.

Borderlands 2 or any future Borderlands game until they apologise for the Moxxie DLC

Any game by Voo Foo studios after the pthetic Big Sky Infinity King of the Skies trophy.

Any Metal Gear game by Kojima

Any Army of Two game, until they fix the website for the currently unobtainable DIY PMC trophy.

Any new Call of Duty Game, until they address the appalling racism and homophobia in thier multiplayer.

Any game by Alawar until they reduce the time required for the RIDICULOUS Denizen trophy.

I will actually stick to my covictions.

If everyone else did too, games would be better.

So so many things about new age gaming. I hate:

1. All the hype around Call of Duty and military shooters in general (I don't hate the genre, just the hype)

2. Pretentious games: Emphasis on visuals over gameplay

3. The amount of quality games that get overlooked because of their lack of big budget

4. Online multiplayer being prioritized over single player campaign. I'm old school...the campaign is the core of the game imo

5. The mute option either being nonexistant or really hard to find when playing online

6. The lack of value seen in backward compatibility. Seriously, what ever happened to rewarding loyalty?

7. A lot of kids playing these days seem weak and whinny. Complaining about people attacking you for no reason in GTA Online's free roam...really?!

8. The entire idea of streaming console games!!!

9. Kids these days caring more about platinuming/100%ing a game than having fun with it. What's the point in mastering a game that you hate?

10. People complaining about the practices of certain developers, but continue to buy their games.

Gone are the days of just buying a game, popping it in, and simply having fun...

• Like 4

I agree with almost all of your post, especially point 10 (see my rant above!)

HOWEVER

Point 6 really stands out to me, as a lot of people seem to call for backwards compatability without realising how detrimental it could be to the system.

The reason consoles don't have backwards compatability is because the manufacturers dont want to have to sacrifice the progres of the console to new tech in order to fit the old tech into the box. Do you really want the price of a ps4 to be increased by 100 bucks or so to have a ps3 cell chip put in it? Or for Sony to use less expensive, less powerful tech for the new system to offset that cost?

I would rather have the most new power put in the new system cor new games, than sacrifice some to play games I could just play on the old system. I mean, you have backwards compatability already - the ps4 isnt going to take a hammer out and smash your ps3 while you sleep! You will still have it sitting there ready to play your old games!

Nintendo used to always try to incorporate backwards compatability into thier consoles, and what was the result? Thier consoles are technologically inferor to the point that no adult gamer plays them anymore, and they are now considered more like a toy for kids or a hobby for middle aged housewives than a gaming platform.

I don't know how many people actually play those ps2 classics on thier ps3, but my gut feeling is very very few. I know ive downloaded plenty of them, but I cant remember ever turning one on- if I want to play a ps2 game I play on a ps2.

There is nothing to do with loyalty in this. You game them money, they game you a gaming system. Thats it.

6. The lack of value seen in backward compatibility. Seriously, what ever happened to rewarding loyalty?

I have never understood why people hate campers, its a legitamite tactic! Not everyone has lightning fast reflexes to precisely aim while on the run.

If all you do is run around and shoot you are just cannon fodder in my opinion.

Camping is just defending a position, if you as an opposing player can't remove someone from a defended position you, yourself aren't a very good player. If you get shot the first time you weren't careful enough, a second time you aren't skillful enough, anytime after that you are just an idiot!

The only bad camping is spawn camping, that doesn't take much skill in alot of games.

I'm awesome at run-n-gun with every CoD, except MW3. That's the one game where my friend and I admit to being campers xD

I agree with almost all of your post, especially point 10 (see my rant above!)

HOWEVER

Point 6 really stands out to me, as a lot of people seem to call for backwards compatability without realising how detrimental it could be to the system.

The reason consoles don't have backwards compatability is because the manufacturers dont want to have to sacrifice the progres of the console to new tech in order to fit the old tech into the box. Do you really want the price of a ps4 to be increased by 100 bucks or so to have a ps3 cell chip put in it? Or for Sony to use less expensive, less powerful tech for the new system to offset that cost?

I would rather have the most new power put in the new system cor new games, than sacrifice some to play games I could just play on the old system. I mean, you have backwards compatability already - the ps4 isnt going to take a hammer out and smash your ps3 while you sleep! You will still have it sitting there ready to play your old games!

Nintendo used to always try to incorporate backwards compatability into thier consoles, and what was the result? Thier consoles are technologically inferor to the point that no adult gamer plays them anymore, and they are now considered more like a toy for kids or a hobby for middle aged housewives than a gaming platform.

I don't know how many people actually play those ps2 classics on thier ps3, but my gut feeling is very very few. I know ive downloaded plenty of them, but I cant remember ever turning one on- if I want to play a ps2 game I play on a ps2.

There is nothing to do with loyalty in this. You game them money, they game you a gaming system. Thats it.

That would be true if BC would significantly drive up the manufacturing cost of the console. Last gen, the PS3 was so expensive due to the new Blu-Ray technology in which they were actually selling under price (easily worth $800 then). To put in an extra chip set to run older retail disks or software to emulate the past consoles would have maybe drove the price up by $100 like you said. Sony/MS could have easily just opted to sell two versions of their console as they did last gen just this time instead of by HDD size, by BC or not. However, its no coincidence that both companies stand to make more money by forcing people to own legacy hardware in order to play the full libraries of prior generations. I don't care what song and dance they give, it just boils down to good old fashion greed imo.

Sony totally saw how PS2 was still selling like hot cakes after they initially released the PS3, so to take advantage of that, they removed JUST the PS2 BC from future models. They gave their BS line about production cost but the truth is, its was more profitable for them to force players to buy legacy hardware than to make the current gaming cash cow all inclusive once they started profiting from it and decided to lower the cost,

When you call yourself the Playstation NETWORK then you should live up to your name and eventually make legacy software and transactions (at least from the most recent gen) transferrable. That's networking 101.

3 things : 

1 - Online trophies when online does not even work anymore ( for example servers are down )

2 - Online trophies which includes grinding or spending many hours online ( which is hard for many games to achieve )

3 - MP which is now an essential part of MOST games , some games need MP like COD , Battlefield , Sport games ... etc

but games like GOW , Batman , Bioshock ... etc 

Maybe developers should make longer game , different endings , more game modes or something else to fill instead of multiplayer

Edited by FROSTSCUMBAB
  • Like 4

Unskippable cutscenes - The first time you see a cutscene it probably shouldn't be skippable as it forms part of the story, but you should be able to skip it after you have seen it already. Nothing worse than repeatedly dying at a particularly difficult or annoying part and having to watch the same damn scene over and over again :shakefist: .

Having to do something quickly, such as a speed run or anything against the clock which doesn't involve driving. What can I say, I just like to take my time doing things :P . Driving games are different because it would be silly not having to do things fast there :P

unskippable cutscenes  :hmm: ......

dead space, as much as it so awesome to play but i grow tired of not been able to skip the cutscenes after playing the game over and over to enjoy it. 

dead space 2, trying to reach chapter 5 or 6 to use my first save in hard core and died halfway, and then start all over listening to their mumbling over and over ( ...... come in issaaaaaaaaac! )  <_<

shit space 3, is the worst! no matter where you reach and died this same stupid difficulty will erased your save file and reset your progress back to 0% and you'll be forced to see all the cutscenes all over again  :(

it's better if you beat a game you'll unlock the ability to skip the cutscenes if you like in a new game as long as you already have a clear data on your system.

dead space extraction is also not safe from this.

visceral games is an Anti-skip button developers, this generation, they think their games stories is the best and so you can't skip their cutscene, even MGS4 does have a skip button for cutscenes. 

The fact that some people still think Call of Duty is the greatest game ever. Also, The fact that it somehow makes at least a billion dollars with little to no effort.

Call of Duty used to be an amazing game and I actually quite enjoyed the online multiplayer. Now It's just "meh" to me.

Edited by blue_flare9001
  • Like 1

Jumping from one place to another place. When it's cool, you have games like Uncharted that feature a lot of jumping.

When it's ok, you have games like Assassin's Creed that you will find you have to make a few attempts in order to jump to the places you need to get to.

When it's horrible, you have games like God Of War III (PS3) and Turok 64 (Nintendo 64). In the case of Turok I spent a few hours getting through the chasm of pillars you had to jump blindly to the top of each one to get across. GOWIII I haven't been able to reach Hades because I kept falling to my death and lost patience with the game.