Do you wish trophies didn't exist?

theitdemon

What has the addition of trophies done to gaming for you?

I personally feel that games should be played for as long as they are enjoyable. Spending ages trying to earn a particular trophy can ruin the game experience. I therefore play games I want to for as long as I want and try to ignore trophies.

However, I also feel somewhat of an urge to increase my game completion and earn trophies (I am currently doing this with Knack). Particularly when I no longer have a game I look at it and think "wouldn't it be nice to earn a few more of the trophies?"

So, what do you guys feel about their addition? Do you game as if they weren't there, let a trophy list influence your decision to buy a game, play games you want to but then go to extremes to keep game completion % high?

I'm neutral.

On one side; I love having trophies. They're a good sense of accomplishment for a gamer and allow for them to show off those achievements. Most games have leaderboards; this is Playstation's way of making their leaderboard more enjoyable. Not only that, it can go deeper for those people who have more doubt in themselves than confidence. Multiple meanings and a lot of them are positive. 

But they also kill a game's real meaning. People know more about the trophies than the actual story and that kills all those hours of effort developers put into those games. It's more on the type of gamer than what it is whoever's idea it was to add trophies. Nothing that personally phases me though. There's no real downside of having them. It'd be totally different if you lagged everytime you got a trophy or something.

I have no care for trophies, I play all for fun and for the story, but I don't wish that they didn't exist. I mean, I know I like the extra challenge, but only when done like in Sleeping Dogs, the Sims 3, and Borderlands 2.

I agree on the part about some gamers only knowing and caring about the trophies though, lol, when video games stop being fun and it's purely objective.

I have no care for trophies, I play all for fun and for the story, but I don't wish that they didn't exist. I mean, I know I like the extra challenge, but only when done like in Sleeping Dogs, the Sims 3, and Borderlands 2.

I agree on the part about some gamers only knowing and caring about the trophies though, lol, when video games stop being fun and it's purely objective.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with it being, purely objective. :) some people find that fun. 

You can abstain from trophy collecting if you want and just hide all of your trophies and your trophy level, so really you can have it either way if you want. 

Trophies don't influence my purchases, no. I see them as a bonus, as challenges that I can complete, should I feel compelled to do so. What matters most is whether or not I enjoy the game on its own merits. If I don't, then I haven't any desire to go after any trophies. It's fun to accomplish whatever tasks they set out for me (within reason), but I don't obsess over them.

This, this right here took the words right out of my mouth.

Kudos to you, Candi.

• Like 1

Sometimes. With a few exceptions, I notice that I don't spend as much time playing a game after Platinum/100%; when I was younger I'd play a game into oblivion, things have changed. That might however, also do with the fact that I have less time to game as an adult, and as such, there's always something in my backlog.

Yes and no.

Trophies allow me to set and achieve goals and to finish what I start, which is something I've never been particularly good at in real life. Since I started "hunting" (for want of a better word) trophies, my game completion percentage has increased significantly, so I'm getting better value for money. On the flip-side, I've bought a lot of mediocre games that I'll likely never play on the basis of easy trophies, which is just pissing money up against the wall.

Trophies also feed addictive personalities and it's all too easy to get caught up in "Gotta have 'em all!". I've come to realise that as much as I'd like to have a trophy profile sitting at 100%, it's never gonna happen. So I enjoy games first and foremost and let the trophies happen naturally. If trophy requirements take me from fun to frustration, it's time to fire up a different game and walk away.

In the end, trophies are what you make of them and they shouldn't limit what you play. Good games are good games, regardless of artificial rewards.

I feel the way a few others mentioned. I think that trophies drive me further into the game than I normally would have gotten. They do keep things interesting but there are a fair share of annoying ones though.

I believe certain types of trophies should not exist though.

Time line trophies drive me nuts. In Saintsrow IV there was a "spend 40hours" with the game business. I was done with the game and I'm forced to just run the game with the tv off for 12hours. Kind of stuff if you ask me. A lot of games have stupid trophies.

For the most part, a lot of trophies do follow the natural path of a game though.

Trophies don't influence my purchases, no. I see them as a bonus, as challenges that I can complete, should I feel compelled to do so. What matters most is whether or not I enjoy the game on its own merits. If I don't, then I haven't any desire to go after any trophies. It's fun to accomplish whatever tasks they set out for me (within reason), but I don't obsess over them.

This definitely.

I just don't get people who only play games for trophies, whether they like the game or not, It's quite sad.

^^ Pretty much what she said. Except for me I like to Platinum certain games I feel like I need to. Like take WWE '13 for example, it was the first wrestling game I bought since PS2. Therefore, I felt it was important to put forth special effort to obtain the Platinum for that game for that reason. But do I buy a game I don't even like to just get the trophies? No. Even with games I do like, I don't necessarily need to get all the trophies for. I guess this introduces a new question: How Do We Decide What Games We Want To Platinum?

• Like 1

No, I love trophies and I think they were a really good addition to gaming. They make me explore and complete games in a way I would never do without them and I really think they make me become a better gamer. Of course there are also negative aspects of trophies, such as the pressure that you feel about your completion rates, but I try not to be too stressed about trophies and just enjoy working on them and seeing them pop and then admiring and feeling proud of my trophy collection.

• Like 1

I always focus on the enjoyment of a game on the first playthrough and just play for fun and if i happen to earn trophies along the way, then awesome. The second playthrough however is when I go for platting and completing the trophy list if the game has them. These days I usually don't play through a game twice just for the heck of it as there are so many other games I'm ready to move on to but with the trophies, they give me an extra reason to play through the game again and I can enjoy the game a second time without feeling like I'm completing the same exact challenges. It's like a new experience again.

So I'm glad trophies exist. They add more to the experience and you get more bang for your buck and those who don't like them can just ignore them completely so It works out for everyone.

Edited by youthCAT1590

I've had dozens of accounts on PS3 and X360 over the years, collecting points and trophies. I like them to be honest, and wish some of my favorite PS2 and Xbox games would port over to current gen, with added trop/point. ( Looking at you, Morrorwind, Manhunt and Musashi ). On the PS4 I've already had 3 accounts, too. I don't know what my problem is, I create a new account and play it for a while, then toss it and start anew. One thing always remains the same though, I love the trophies.

Only for the games I didn't PLAY tho my friend Played on his system which annoys the hell out of me EVEN when theirs DLC trophies :angry:

It's usually an accomplishment completing My games each Sequel i tried to go for 100%, But I've give up on Black ops 1 & 2 i'm only willing to platinum Ghost idk about 100%.  Oh to make matters worse The Diablo Reaper of Souls I wished it wish DLC content NOT an whole Game again!

Edited by SirNikolai