Do you wish trophies didn't exist?

theitdemon

I buy all the games that I wanna play. Dont care about trophies in that department. I do have my 100% profile, but if I have a game I feel like I dont wanna collect all the trophies I'll just play it on another account :) I do this all the time.

To answer the question. No I dont wish trophies shouldnt exist. As long as it doesnt effect the game it self I dont have a problem with it.

I wish there was trophies for ps1 and ps2 classics.

I would love the platinum for Tomb Raider, Resident evil 1-3, Crash 1-3, Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Persona 3, San Andreas, Vice City, Warriors, Bully, Max Payne, etc.

That said, i hate online trophies, and now avoid playing certain games (Bioshock 2, Batman Arkham Origins, etc) on my profile.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind them if they are easy but it's the stupid ones I'm not a fan of for example shoot 100 people without dying in one match, not saying that kind of trophy exists but it sounds crazy, things like that annoy me because I know I couldn't do that at all and I doubt any other person could  ...or could they  :hmm:

Why would anyone wish trophies didn't exist?  They're optional...

The only good excuse I've ever heard was "the notification is immersion breaking"... to which I say, quit being a puss.

This is a reason why I think they should implement a system where the game will ask as you start it up if you want trophies to be enabled or not, that way they would be 100% optional, not an optional feature that is forced onto people.

Edited by Blanc

This is a reason why I think they should implement a system where the game will ask as you start it up if you want trophies to be enabled or not, that way they would be 100% optional, not an optional feature that is forced onto people.

I would be inclined to disagree, just because I enjoy occasionally peeking into the progress my non-trophy hunting family/friends in some games (which is possible without them necessarily going after a platinum trophy). ;)

If they add an option to disable the notification of trophies being collected (maybe it already exists, I dunno?), I think that's a pretty unobtrusive compromise that everyone can enjoy, right?  If you don't care about trophies, the fact you're silently getting them wouldn't mean anything to you.

Edited by Dreakon13

If they add an option to disable the notification of trophies being collected (maybe it already exists, I dunno?), I think that's a pretty unobtrusive compromise that everyone can enjoy, right?  If you don't care about trophies, the fact you're silently getting them wouldn't mean anything to you.

I know that for PS3 the option exists because I did that to my brother once to see how long it would take him to notice (1 day)

I love that trophies exist. When I was a little kid playing Nintendo, I remember always trying for everything in the game and thinking 'I'll get 100% in this, because then if someone comes over and wants to play, they will be impressed with my progress". Trophies are just a new way for me to do this, and to show how far I got into the game and what I accomplished. It's my philosophy to play anything and everything I can, because every game has some new experience to give to the owner, even if the game is 'bad'. Of course, now I don't play games without trophies because there's no way to 'show them off.'

Trophies always will be a double standard or a sword. Their are games that i would just play because its really a excellent well put together game. regardless of the trophies and i will probably get a few and that's it.. Then theirs the ones that make me go for that ultimate Platinum just because it's one of those things, "i don't care how long it takes, i'm going to platinum it" type of game.. But also theirs the game that i wouldn't care to play but since i want boost my trophies numbers i will play them, like kid games.. Easy Plats.

What i hate about trophies is that i worked so damn hard on one. and the platinum is an ultra rare. Then a freaking nut jobs hack the game to pop all trophies in 2 minutes.. Not putting the time or effort into it. 

Sony should band them for life...

I've had dozens of accounts on PS3 and X360 over the years, collecting points and trophies. I like them to be honest, and wish some of my favorite PS2 and Xbox games would port over to current gen, with added trop/point. ( Looking at you, Morrorwind, Manhunt and Musashi ). On the PS4 I've already had 3 accounts, too. I don't know what my problem is, I create a new account and play it for a while, then toss it and start anew. One thing always remains the same though, I love the trophies.

Dont feel bad. i have gone through the same thing.. My main that im on now. I was getting picked of a lot or feel like i was being targeted in shooters. I had friends tell me that wit my -T. they can spot me quicker. especially if they know im not any good at the game..Or some punk kid thought it was stupid and want to talk shyt.  My other account i lost was DarkDeadEvil. I lost the password. lol 

I'm glad they exist but I find myself obsessing over them a tad too much.

When Persona 5 comes out I don't even plan on looking at the trophy list because 1) I don't want spoilers and 2) Sometimes going after trophies gets in the way of enjoying the game. 

For example, right now if trophies didn't exist I would have stopped playing Danganronpa 2.  But I have to play the Magical Girl Monomi minigame for hours until all the items drop or else I won't get the plat even though I get no enjoyment out of doing so.  It makes me wonder if I'm wasting my time.  What if all of our PSN progress was gone tomorrow?  Would I be more likely to get a Wii U for Smash?  Would I play different games or stop playing others? 

Then you have to stop and think if trophies will even be around in the future.  Are we all going to be level 30 something clinging to our PSN accounts while playing the PS7? 

But, gosh darnit, getting trophies is fun.

• Like 1

i kinda enjoy the trophies. while i wont and have no need to plat or 100% everything i play. it does often make me change the way i play games. i like those kind of trophies. if you played a game repeatedly and always the same way, same choices etc. the trophies are incentive to change things up, try new tactics and see other possible outcomes. the grinding ones i don't care for. reach lvl 1000 etc.

I think trophies are great but that doesn't mean I'm going to stress over them. I think they should be treated as a bonus for games we enjoy. There's just no point putting yourself through hours and hours of headaches and frustration for a fake sense of accomplishment. Since this is a trophy site (mostly) I think most people would agree that trophies are worth having.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 17.10.2014 at 11:55 AM, theitdemon said:

What has the addition of trophies done to gaming for you?

I personally feel that games should be played for as long as they are enjoyable. Spending ages trying to earn a particular trophy can ruin the game experience. I therefore play games I want to for as long as I want and try to ignore trophies.

However, I also feel somewhat of an urge to increase my game completion and earn trophies (I am currently doing this with Knack). Particularly when I no longer have a game I look at it and think "wouldn't it be nice to earn a few more of the trophies?"

So, what do you guys feel about their addition? Do you game as if they weren't there, let a trophy list influence your decision to buy a game, play games you want to but then go to extremes to keep game completion % high?

i play games like i always did. 

if i love a game, or find it fun/enjoyable, i platinum if i can. If not, i have no problem with a low completion %.

im not gonna Force myself to play some shitty game i hate, for virtuel trophies, but im proud of some of my trophies i worked hard for, in games i like. 

Without achievements I'd die on the inside. And the outside. And then the inside again.

If they weren't a thing my own playing habits probably wouldn't be much different, aside from less f2p and demo titles. I've always liked tried to 100% games, going back to the earliest days such a thing was possible.

On 11/15/2014 at 6:04 PM, Kittet3 said:

I know that for PS3 the option exists because I did that to my brother once to see how long it would take him to notice (1 day)

It's possible on the PS4, 5 and Vita as well. There is an option to turn the notifications off.

Im actually glad for trophies, because they give me a reason to keep playing some games that i would drop like a hot potato otherwise after finishing the main story. 

No, trophies completely changed everything for me. The biggest change is they got me out of my comfort zone, got me into completely new genres...I wasn't into RPG's before the PS3 came along, I didn't get why people loved them so much...then we got Kingdoms of Amalur and Dragon's Dogma on PS+, and the will to Plat those opened me up to RPG's as a whole. 

But other than that, trophies keep me going. I got a Switch a few months ago...and while I enjoy it, the lack of an achievement system really makes it hard for me to make Switch games a priority. It wasn't until I got Wrestling Empire recently that I put some serious time into a Switch game, but I still play it and can't help but wonder how much more fun I'd have getting a Plat in it. 

Playing a game and earning trophies just became the way I play now, they're one in the same. I never viewed the trophy system like some extra add-on that's there if I want it. It's literally an essential part of my gaming enjoyment now. If trophies were taken away, I'd likely continue gaming...but I can honestly say my demeanor on the whole hobby would change. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2