The MMA Discussion thread

SuffyZorugelion

Pretty much the same as yours.  Kind of hoping that Rumble beats Cormier though.  At least that way the champ will be someone who, at least, hasn't been beaten by Jones already.  Don't want another Hendricks situation.

Agreed, that always felt a little bit, you know. I would expect Rumble to take it, I am guessing Cormier will be spamming takedowns for the duration so who knows.

• 2 months later...

Big mma fan/fighter also disappointed aldo is hiding again but not much you can do about it. As for ufc189 i'm hyped hoping conner takes the belt.

Absolutely! It sucks that Aldo couldnt fight, but it's still going to be exciting with McGregor and Mendes.

I'm brazilian and I wouldn't cheer for Aldo, he's the most uncharismatic fighter ever, and clearly is hiding from Connor worring any humiliation. I hope Connor gets this fight and later the tittle.

But Mendes x Connor will be a great fight, Mendes is no sissy.

I'm really excited for UFC 190 here in Brazil, gonna see Ronda, she's my favourite, YOUR ARM IS MINE!

So the X-rays of Aldo's broken ribs are fake and he's just ducking Connor?  Really?  

I'm actually glad the fight got cancelled and Connor has to *gasp* fight a wrestler instead of being spoon-fed perfect match-ups until his mouth gets his title shot for him.  The UFC has gotten ridiculous with the way they protect marketable fighters.

• Like 3

Connor is in for a wake up call. Mendes has not lost to anyone other than Aldo. He's got a fantastic wrestling background. Something Connor has not been up against before. 

It's a real shame how the UFC picks people for title shots now days... It's all about who brings in the most money. 

I'm brazilian and I wouldn't cheer for Aldo, he's the most uncharismatic fighter ever, and clearly is hiding from Connor worring any humiliation. I hope Connor gets this fight and later the tittle.

Not the most uncharismatic ever... Rory McDonald anyone? ^__^ I've always liked Aldo, I think his bad ass. The scar in his cheek makes him look fucking vicious. I dunno if he pulled out on purpose. He missed a huge payday so atleast his not doing this for money haha.

I never really had a favorite for McGregor vs. Aldo, I just said let the best man win since I do like both of em. The only thing I dont like about McGregor is that he is so disrespectful. You dont touch a mans title if you havent earned it.

Connor got a great victory, alltought he was being dominated by Mendes, and a well deserved (interim) belt, lets hope Aldo step out and be a man facing Conor and showing whos the boss around.

TUF 22 with Faber and Conor as trainers, this will be fun, man, I wish this was aired in Brazil.

Connor got a great victory, alltought he was being dominated by Mendes, and a well deserved (interim) belt, lets hope Aldo step out and be a man facing Conor and showing whos the boss around.

TUF 22 with Faber and Conor as trainers, this will be fun, man, I wish this was aired in Brazil.

I still can't understand why they created an interim belt for that fight.  Can't think of a single other time that an interim title was made after a champ missed 1 fight in a row.

• Like 1

I still can't understand why they created an interim belt for that fight.  Can't think of a single other time that an interim title was made after a champ missed 1 fight in a row.

Because aldo never shows should be happy he's not stripped of the belt a real champion would've fought but like conner said it's a weak weight class.

Aldo's pulled out of fights numerous times. Also, he was medically clear to fight McGregor and still didn't fight - not exactly the actions of a champion. What a fantastic victory by McGregor; he silenced a lot of critics with that performance. 

Because aldo never shows should be happy he's not stripped of the belt a real champion would've fought but like conner said it's a weak weight class.

Absolutely! I think Dana wanted to mess with Aldo, and others too, that if you don't take care of yourself or stay skiping tittle defending fights they'll strip your belt off!!

It's more a punishment cause Aldo didn't look out for himself 2 weeks after the fight. Now he'll call Dana everyday to fight.

Aldo's pulled out of fights numerous times. Also, he was medically clear to fight McGregor and still didn't fight - not exactly the actions of a champion. What a fantastic victory by McGregor; he silenced a lot of critics with that performance. 

Medically cleared doesn't always mean healthy.  Not wanting to go in to a fight with McGregor with already damaged ribs seems like a common sense decision to me.  Champions are pulling out of fights constantly lately and not once has an interim belt been created after 1 time in a row.  The easy answer, Conor is one of the UFC's two most "marketable" fighters and now they can say he's their champ.

• Like 1

Medically cleared doesn't always mean healthy.  Not wanting to go in to a fight with McGregor with already damaged ribs seems like a common sense decision to me.  Champions are pulling out of fights constantly lately and not once has an interim belt been created after 1 time in a row.  The easy answer, Conor is one of the UFC's two most "marketable" fighters and now they can say he's their champ.

I'm pretty damn sure that the phrase "medically cleared" is only used whenever a fighter is healthy enough to fight, otherwise they wouldn't be given such clearance. Also, if you're going on the fighters' words and not the doctors', then McGregor was apparently suffering from a much more serious injury leading up to the fight, yet he still showed up to a fight in which he had a hell of a lot to lose if he were to be beaten.

Furthermore, Aldo has a rich history of pulling out of fights, so I seriously don't know where you're getting this "1 time in a row" thing. Allow me to quote you an article written about Aldo and his record of pulling out of big title fights:

Aldo, the reigning king of the UFC featherweight division, has only fought seven times in the promotion since early 2011 when Zuffa incorporated WEC’s lower weight divisions and brought them to the UFC fold. In that time, Aldo has now pulled out of five title contests through injury.

This wasn't an arbitrary decision made by Dana White, this was the culmination of people loosing patience with Aldo after so many 11th hour retractions from title fights. Every single time Aldo has pulled out of such fights, the company loses potential revenue, so I think it was absolutely the right decision to create an interim belt for McGregor and Mendes' fight. 

Also, to say that McGregor got the title shot or is the champion merely because he's marketable is to sorely understate the sheer work and effort that man has put into his MMA career. He wouldn't be where he is without an insane amount of hard work and determination; no one beats Chad Mendes in the Octagon based purely off their marketability. 

Source of quote: Right here

Edited by Gotakibono

I'm pretty damn sure that the phrase "medically cleared" is only used whenever a fighter is healthy enough to fight, otherwise they wouldn't be given such clearance. Also, if you're going on the fighters' words and not the doctors', then McGregor was apparently suffering from a much more serious injury leading up to the fight, yet he still showed up to a fight in which he had a hell of a lot to lose if he were to be beaten.

Furthermore, Aldo has a rich history of pulling out of fights, so I seriously don't know where you're getting this "1 time in a row" thing. Allow me to quote you an article written about Aldo and his record of pulling out of big title fights:

This wasn't an arbitrary decision made by Dana White, this was the culmination of people loosing patience with Aldo after so many 11th hour retractions from title fights. Every single time Aldo has pulled out of such fights, the company loses potential revenue, so I think it was absolutely the right decision to create an interim belt for McGregor and Mendes' fight. 

Also, to say that McGregor got the title shot or is the champion merely because he's marketable is to sorely understate the sheer work and effort that man has put into his MMA career. He wouldn't be where he is without an insane amount of hard work and determination; no one beats Chad Mendes in the Octagon based purely off their marketability. 

Source of quote: Right here

First things first.  There's something here that needs to be cleared up because you're kind of putting words in my mouth.  I never said Conor got his shot because he's marketable.  I said the interim title was put in place for the fight because he was.  I'll admit I thought he was protected up to the title shot by never having to fight a wrestler but he's now been there and done that so that can be laid to rest.  He was obviously the best choice for a title shot for several reasons.

Now, as for the article you posted, there's a few things in there that are spun as a negative that I personally don't think are.  7 fights in 5 years is fine by me.  That averages to a little more than a fight a year which seems about on pace... maybe a little under with the current roster of champions but not enough to get butt-hurt about.  It also hasn't always been Aldo pulling out of the fights, I think Pettis twice pulled out of a fight with Aldo.  To the fighters that lost their shots, they took another fight and lost.  Sucks to be them but that's how it goes.  Conor also took another fight and won, now he's cemented himself as the true #1 contender.

Also, I'm basing my knowledge of Aldo's injury off of X-rays that were released showing a broken rib.  If they were faked and I fell for it, then I stand corrected.  Dana's the only person I've seen say it was bullcrap and the only person who's word I trust less in the MMA world is Sonnen.  Like you said, Dana and co. probably lost a lot of money when Aldo pulled out and he's been known to get a little salty from time to time.

As for my 1 time in a row comment.  It means exactly what I said.  I personally don't think an interim belt should exist unless a champion either A- is inactive for at least a year or B- pulls out of multiple consecutive fights.  Aldo wasn't guilty of either of these offenses.  In this scenario, there's a couple things that I think came into play.  1st - Conor is marketable and the UFC brass wants him to be a champion, which isn't shameful.  Aldo has been the king of 145 and has beaten everyone (save McGregor of course), if Conor wins the title it completely opens up the division again and that's good for business.  I kind of equate to Velasquez.  It was painfully obvious that Dana really, really wanted Cain to be champ so he could bite into the Mexican market.  When JDS knocked him out on the FOX broadcast Dana looked like he was ready to explode he was so pissed.  2nd - Aldo/McGregor was the headliner of the card.  The co-main was the WW title fight.  It would seem odd having the only title fight on the card not be the main event.  With an interim title, they still get to go through all of the ceremony of crowning a champion to end the show and all is well.  With or without an interim belt being on the line, if McGregor wins, he's the #1 contender.  Period.  Having an interim belt seems pointless.  Now, if they rescheduled the fight and Aldo pulled out again, then yes, an interim title would (in my eyes) be appropriate.

All in all though, I have no problem agreeing to disagree. 

Edited by skidmarkgn

• 3 weeks later...

Wow that vid I posted didn't get blocked by youtube yet lol.

You guys excited for tonight? 

I'd be more excited if my stream didn't bug out. Oddly enough I don't get FS1 on tv but I can stream it from xfinity's site.  :dunno:

Sometimes though it's really glitchy for the prelims. (I never watch PPV so I tend to just follow the fights through stats on the ufc site.)