The MMA Discussion thread

SuffyZorugelion

• 1 month later...

Bisping vs. Silva is exactly why I fell out of love with the UFC.  I guess the headlines will have to say "-derp- After losing by KO, Bisping wins by decision -derp-"  I guess Kimbo Slice vs. Dada 5000 or whatever the f--k his name is will have to do -derp-

I don't blame you for falling out with UFC. To be honest I've been less and less impressed with them too. 

I only saw a 40 second clip of the fight where people think Silva should have won.

Shouldn't a fight be momentarily paused if a mouth guard is lost so that the fighter can retrieve it? I thought that was a rule or something?

Also, what was with the buzzer after the knee that put Bisping down? Is that new or something since when has it been anything other than a ref to stop a fight?

I don't blame you for falling out with UFC. To be honest I've been less and less impressed with them too. 

I only saw a 40 second clip of the fight where people think Silva should have won.

Shouldn't a fight be momentarily paused if a mouth guard is lost so that the fighter can retrieve it? I thought that was a rule or something?

Also, what was with the buzzer after the knee that put Bisping down? Is that new or something since when has it been anything other than a ref to stop a fight?

Pretty sure the buzzer signified the end of the round.  Meaning Bisping got KO'd before the round ended.  If I remember correctly a fighter can't be saved by the bell, which is why everyone on the planet except for the ref considered the fight to be over.

Pretty sure the buzzer signified the end of the round.  Meaning Bisping got KO'd before the round ended.  If I remember correctly a fighter can't be saved by the bell, which is why everyone on the planet except for the ref considered the fight to be over.

lmfao it never occurred to me that buzzer meant the end of the round. :facepalm: It was so close together I thought someone outside the ring ended the round prematurely.

Idk. I thought it was pretty stupid for the ref not to halt the fight for the missing mouth piece. Without a clear representation of the rules I can't say one way or the other. If the match should have been halted for the mouth piece then the fight should have ignored Silva's knee and fined the ref for not doing his job. If the match doesn't need to be halted Bisping should have protected himself. 

You can't find any clear comments on the articles either. Just a bunch of fan boys and hecklers. (not that it sways my decision one way or the other but I never liked anderson silva and thought even less of him after being busted for PEDS.) 

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/29/11135408/herb-dean-explains-why-he-didn-t-stop-the-fight-after-anderson-silva

This article perfectly answered all my questions about the mouth piece. Also, it proved my feelings right that Silva was stupid for doing a victory lap instead of going for a follow up attack. Bisping wasn't defenseless/unconscious when he was dropped and with the buzzer sounding an end couldn't have been called. However, Bisping should have defended himself instead of asking for a short interruption as the rules state. What he should have done was realize Silva was going to go on offense to make sure he couldn't get a rest and then go for a surprise power hit. 

All in all my thoughts coincide with the ref's thoughts for the ending of the 3rd round.

• 3 months later...

Does Bisping have a shot against Luke on Saturday?  What about Faber/Cruz?  State your picks folks!

Bisping upsets Rockhold ( yeah, I put money on him... -500?  Why not?)

Cruz retains against faber

Holloway over Lamas

Lombard falls on Hendo for win 

Poirier over Green

Guida gets a much needed win over Ortega ( love me some Clay Guida!)

Vick over Dariush

Penne over Andrade

Miller over Caceres

Breese over Strickland

Wilson over Da Silva

Casey over Mutapcic

Kim over Reyes

Fight of the night honrs will go to Faber/Cruz

KO of night to Bisping/Rockhold winner ( either Rockhold kills him within 2 minutes, or Bisping gets a shot out of nowhere to win it)

Submission of night ???

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/3/2019 at 4:33 PM, TheLakota said:

Gonna necro the fuck outta this thread. Anyone read BloodyElbow.com?

Im with you on the necromancy ? And yes i read occasionally.

But im a mma guy through and through.

Connor McGregor last night anyone? Cerrone got smashed. He's admittedly not what he was but he's still game for sure.

Gotta be McGregor vs Masvidal next time. Its too early to fight Khabib again.

Plus big respect to Oleinik and Ferreira for last night too. 

• 1 month later...
On 19/01/2020 at 10:49 AM, punkshepherd said:

Im with you on the necromancy 1f600.png And yes i read occasionally.

But im a mma guy through and through.

Connor McGregor last night anyone? Cerrone got smashed. He's admittedly not what he was but he's still game for sure.

Gotta be McGregor vs Masvidal next time. Its too early to fight Khabib again.

Plus big respect to Oleinik and Ferreira for last night 

They're trying to make Gaethje vs. McGregor but Justin would prefer to wait and face the winner of Khabib & Ferguson as the pay wouldn't be great if he were to face Conor now.

Be cool to make this thread active again, I'm a huge MMA fan, been watching since the early noughties. I'll start posting up the upcoming UFC events and bouts to see if builds momentum.

• Like 1

Anyone watching the upcoming event this weekend?

UFC Fight Night: Benavidez vs. Figueiredo

Main Card
Joseph Benavidez vs. Deiveson Figueiredo (Flyweight Championship)
Felicia Spencer vs. Zarah Fairn dos Santos
Ion Cuțelaba vs. Magomed Ankalaev
Megan Anderson vs. Norma Dumont Viana

Grant Dawson vs. Darrick Minner

Preliminary Card
Luis Peña vs. Steve Garcia
Gabriel Silva vs. Kyler Phillips
Brendan Allen vs. Tom Breese
Marcin Tybura vs. Sergey Spivak
Aalon Cruz vs. Spike Carlyle
Ismail Naurdiev vs. Sean Brady

Edited by AJP1986
  • Like 1

Main card il defo watch.

Prelims maybe? No-one is really standing out off there. 

Im defo looking forward to 248 tho. My beautiful Joanna is fighting again! She is fire. Altho i think she'll lose. 

Oh and finally, Aldo shouldnt get a shot at Cejudo. Yes Aldo is a great. But not great enough in my eyes to jump the queue. Correct me if im wrong but i think he's only ever LOST at that weight. 

"Fill the UFC's pockets" type of fight. 

There's a few fights on the prelims I'm looking forward to seeing. The Cruz, Breese & Peña bouts should be good.

Cuțelaba is a genuine mad man who always goes balls to the walls to send his opponents heads into the stand so that'll be a fun fight. 

It'd be good to see Benavidez get a UFC belt but I can see Figueiredo edging that one.

I agree with you @punkshepherd Aldo shouldn't have got a title shot and jumped ahead of Sterling & Yan. 

But the UFC is very much about the $$$ fights.

That being said, I will be rooting for Aldo ?

*Spoilers*

UFC Norfolk Results:

Main Card
- Deiveson Figueiredo defeated Joseph Benavidez by TKO (Strikes, Round 2, 1:54)
- Felicia Spencer defeated Zarah Fairn dos Santos by TKO (Strikes, Round 1, 3:37)
- Magomed Ankalaev defeated Ion Cutelaba by TKO (Strikes, Round 1, 0:38)
- Megan Anderson defeated Norma Dumont by KO (Punch, Round 1, 3:31)
- Grant Dawson defeated Darrick Minner by Submission (RNC, Round 2, 1:38)

Preliminary Card
- Kyler Phillips defeated Gabriel Silva by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Brendan Allen defeated Tom Breese by TKO (Strikes, Round 1, 4:47)
- Marcin Tybura defeated Serghei Spivac by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Luis Pena defeated Steve Garcia by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jordan Griffin def. TJ Brown by Submission (Guillotine Choke, Round 2, 3:38)
- Spike Carlyle defeated Aalon Cruz by TKO (Strikes, Round 1, 1:25)
- Sean Brady defeated Ismail Naurdiev by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)

Great card tonight, anyone watching?

UFC 248

Main Card
Israel Adesanya (c) vs. Yoel Romero (Middleweight Championship)
Zhang Weili (c) vs. Joanna Jędrzejczyk (Straweight Championship)
Beneil Dariush vs. Drakkar Klose
Neil Magny vs. Li Jingliang
Alex Oliveira vs. Max Griffin

Preliminary Card
Sean O'Malley vs. José Alberto Quiñónez
Mark Madsen vs. Austin Hubbard
Rodolfo Vieira vs. Saparbek Safarov
Gerald Meerschaert vs. Deron Winn

Early Preliminary Card
Emily Whitmire vs. Polyana Viana
Giga Chikadze vs. Jamall Emmers
Danaa Batgerel vs. Guido Cannetti

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/03/2020 at 9:34 PM, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

For anyone that watched the main card, was the judging on the main fight a shit show or was it actually fair? (Israel vs Yoel)

It was tough to judge as not much happened. 

Yoel landed more of the power strikes which was basically a big overhand right and a flurry after a takedown attempt or two but Adesanya landed more strikes and the leg kicks he landed did have an effect on Romero in the later rounds.

I'm not mad with the decision, It was a very frustrating fight to watch though.

Edited by AJP1986

8 hours ago, AJP1986 said:

It was tough to judge as not much happened. 

Yoel landed more of the power strikes which was basically a big overhand right and a flurry after a takedown attempt or two but Adesanya landed more strikes and the leg kicks he landed did have an effect on Romero in the later rounds.

I'm not mad with the decision, It was a very frustrating fight to watch though.

I'm not gonna lie I fucking hate Adesanya. Or at the very least I hate his ring attitude. But I know the big name fighters are often given breaks in the judging and even Dana knows it and has called bullshit on some results.

I don't see how you could give Adesanya four rounds like that one judge. Other than that, you could make a case for 48-47 for either fighter. Romero did too little (and I will never understand how this man doesn't use his wrestling - he is the best wrestler in the UFC, except probably Henry Cejudo), but his strategy was sound. Adesanya was completely clueless in the beginning of the fight, Romero should have taken advantage of that and switch his tactic midfight.

Adesanya vs. Costa will be a proper war though.

15 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

...I know the big name fighters are often given breaks in the judging and even Dana knows it and has called bullshit on some results.

Are you making a vague attempt at arguing Romero should have won on the scorecards?

giphy.gif

I may have been okay with 48-47 either way, but to be honest Romero has no one but himself to blame for losing. As far as I'm concerned, we all lost regarding this fight.

On 3/20/2020 at 0:01 PM, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Was my comment not clear that I didn't see the match?

My comment was not in response to your initial post, but the following one ("big name fighters are often given breaks"). I assumed you'd see I was ribbing you given the gif. 

Only two fighters in recent memory seem to fit the mould of privileged individuals: Jones and Lesnar. The former is allowed to practically cheat with the bunk "pulsing" defense and even had an entire event moved so he could be licensed, while the latter didn't have to join the testing pool until much, much later upon returning for UFC 200 (USADA waived the four month rule solely for his benefit). Fishy.