Is it based on jumpscares or atmosphere?

MarcusTheShadow

The Evil within is more based on atmosphere. But it´s some weird japanese horror. Most time you will think like "what the hell just happend" instead of "wow that was really scary".

They wanted to make this game mystical and atmospheric. But they failed. In the end this game just became some discusting gore like experience with bad graphics. 

• Like 1

The Evil within is more based on atmosphere. But it´s some weird japanese horror. Most time you will think like "what the hell just happend" instead of "wow that was really scary".

They wanted to make this game mystical and atmospheric. But they failed. In the end this game just became some discusting gore like experience with bad graphics. 

No horror dev would want to make something 'mystical'. I'd say they achieved in what they wanted to do, the game has average graphics, but the animation and texture quality, especially on the main character, is really good.  Saying it's 'discusting' makes you sound like a concerned parent, it was pretty obvious what you were getting into when you see the box art.

The game is very atmospheric, and sometimes (but very little) disturbing, but it feels like it re-uses a lot of other things from Silent Hill and Resident Evil. There's jumpscares, but I never found them as scary as jumpscares in other games, even if I wasn't expecting them.

• Like 3

I´m aware that this game had gore passages. But I hoped that this would be like Dead Space. Gore und scary horror atmosphere together side by side, to be a good game. In “The evil within” the Gore parts are overbalanced. And the miserable horror parts let me think:” What the hell!?”

In the end it´s better to play Silent Hill or Resident Evil. 

I haven't gotten terribly far in the game but when i play it i like the lights off with the sound up and when you are really getting into it there are some parts that get you to get goosebumps. I am at chapter 6 and it feels like a Resident Evil 4 amped up. I feel there is a lot of rouge tactics in the game that also makes suspense. I think you will enjoy it though I personal do so far.

• Like 1

Atmosphere. It has a few jumpscares, and only a few of them got me, but this game really ain't scary. is it suspenseful? Yes, very. Some sections in the game I got nervous at, and then there's some enemies that made me feel nervous and a bit scared. This game resembles to Resident Evil 4 a lot in a few ways. If you've played Resident Evil 4, you'll know what I mean. The atmosphere that The Evil Within carries can kinda resemble to the one the Silent Hill games had. And for the gameplay core, The Evil Within gives out some sort of aura that makes you think that you're sometimes playing a game with Resident Evil 4 and The Last of Us. The more you progress through the game, the better it gets, in my opinion. You may find enemies that might be unnerving to you, you may freak out due to how low on ammo you are, and then you may be chased by an enemy, and you don't know where to go, or if you should hide or not, etc. The game can be scary, especially when on your first playthrough, and may feel or be a bit tad lost, and the atmosphere for some levels can definitely be a bit horrifying, and even disturbing, but overall, it can be considered a good horror game. And I love the gore in the game, but basically, the atmosphere of the game does feature a gory walkthrough, even the cover of the game has a slightly disturbing art cover, which hints that the game ain't gonna be clean or pretty at all! And the game can be dark, both in tone and atmosphere.

Yea, it uses both and you do get nervous like Jack just stated. I'm on my Akumu playthrough (going for first 50 to plat). I'm on chapter 7, & i agree huge RE4 & TLoU feels, also slight Alone in the Dark imo. It's a great game though, i'm on chapter 10 3rd playthrough (NG++) to finish collectibles, upgrades & keys. I recommend playing on Survival (normal) first time as casual makes it less eerie & nerve racking as you can spray like TLoU on easy. Survival supplies are limited but not like TLoU on hard or higher. Akumu is a huge pain but suspenseful, you die in 1 hit, more enemies then Survival, supplies so far just as common. Also without spoiling it you meet an annoying enemy on chapter 3 on Akumu while on Survival it's like chapter 11ish. Sorry for any grammatical errors, it's 3AM right meow. xD Hope this helped with the scare element & tips.

You're joking right?  ^  outlast?    :giggle:    I'll admit I haven't given it a fair chance, but I've gone back to it a few times and never wanted more than a few minutes of camcorder action.  And it's not that that scary or creepy to keep me with it's setup.  The story is HORRRRRRIBLE.   That game is a sneak around snoozer.  Didn't even remotely pull me in in the first chapter or so.  I didn't know what to do and I assume I would be watching a video online of where to go.  Sounds like fun, with how the game is, well setup....   Did you watch multiple walkthrough for it?  be honest... and Batteries are you're ammo?  I know it's all personal taste, but I don't understand how outlast could be better than this game in any sense.  At all.  especially given how long it is.  Maybe in nightvision quality? 

Every game has it's downfalls, and outlast is a game I might go back to, but it's just silly to me with all the variables put together.  I'm a Dead Space, Resident Evil, type of survival horror, not a sub par story, completely helpless character type of surv horror guy.  I'll go watch a bad horror movie in the mean time if I want a similar expierence. 

Back on topic, funny I saw this because this is actually something I'm currently wondering why there wasn't more of. wish there was more. Jump scares.  Honestly the atmosphere is great, and it's builds in sections where it would be a cherry on top.  

Edited by SilkyJay86
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just finished my first playthrough last night. I say it has both, but I'd say the scares are more atmospheric. The game isn't quite all that disturbing, there is a moment or two where it might seem disturbing to someone new to survival horror, but not to a gaming veteran like myself. I've played all of the Silent Hills, most of the Resident Evils, Dead Island, Dead Rising, etc, so disfigured humanoids with blood and flesh between their teeth are no strangers to me. I'm pretty desensitized at this point to anything horror. So maybe my opinion is invalid.

Overall, I still enjoyed the scares of The Evil Within.

Atmosphere. It's not really scare but it has really nice atmosphere and some looking creepy places. 

EDIT: I think it did great job of how it offers small amount of ammo and also, I finished on akumu mode. akumu mode is totally different than on normal. It gave me great intense moments.

Edited by G10BURGERKING

• 3 months later...

It's more atmosphere, and you feel almost helpless when you don't have enough ammo to kill things. It's also kind of a jumpscare if you accidentally walk into a trap, that always gets me. Outlast wasn't that scary, tbh, except for some moments on Insane difficulty.

• 2 weeks later...

I´m aware that this game had gore passages. But I hoped that this would be like Dead Space. Gore und scary horror atmosphere together side by side, to be a good game. In “The evil within” the Gore parts are overbalanced. And the miserable horror parts let me think:” What the hell!?”

In the end it´s better to play Silent Hill or Resident Evil. 

ALRIGHT! JESUS CHRIST, WE GET IT, YOU DON'T LIKE THE FUCKING GAME!! Don't ruin it for those who haven't played it, jeez..