your opinion on the new more money for less gaming content policy game developers use.

MochidaYuka

i don´t like the formula, but I´m not complaining about the games being short, because most of them still have lots of extra content besides the story that i always go for it.

What i don´t like is that today almost every producer makes DLC even before the game was released, more like an unblockable content, just to steal from our wallets; especially for the completionists like me, make us fell that we don´t played all the game as to offer.

I used to like the old games formula that you needed to some some real hard stuff to unlock secret things, and not just buy to have it, i mean they in fact can do paid DLCs to people that are not very dedicated gamers, but still make the opition to hardcore gamers unlock them for free, with hard work.

i don´t like the formula, but I´m not complaining about the games being short, because most of them still have lots of extra content besides the story that i always go for it.

What i don´t like is that today almost every producer makes DLC even before the game was released, more like an unblockable content, just to steal from our wallets; especially for the completionists like me, make us fell that we don´t played all the game as to offer.

I used to like the old games formula that you needed to some some real hard stuff to unlock secret things, and not just buy to have it, i mean they in fact can do paid DLCs to people that are not very dedicated gamers, but still make the opition to hardcore gamers unlock them for free, with hard work.

that's what i'm trying to say.nowadays all extra stuff is DLC so they take away all the fun and hard work by doing that.

Edited by MochidaYuka

Thing is - that's just one kind of "DLC". Also, what you mention already exists - they're called "microtransactions". Yeah, that word that makes everybody cringe and hate companies for adding them. That's exactly what they are - a means for the less dedicated to get something quickly by spending money instead of spending time.

But what about actual expansion packs? Or things that actually add content to the game - like new characters or vehicles?

"All expansion packs are DLC, but not all DLC is an expansion pack" - words to live by right there.

People always say "They should have just added it to the game", and never think about the fact that the devs have budgets. Not just financial budgets, but time budgets as well. If the main game is complete well before the time to actually get it out, they can work on adding extra stuff to it. Generally, when you see "Planned DLC", it's usually content that they couldn't get finished in time for the main release. They generally DO work on these things at the same time - but the main game, obviously, takes precedence.

I'd rather they release the game if it's finished, and up to snuff than delay it to add more stuff that I may or may not want to play.

You know what would happen if you had devs working to add all that extra stuff to their games? They'd never come out - or they'd take forever to do so. That's bad - both for the dev itself, and for the gamers. It's bad for the dev because they make, ultimately, less money - which means even fewer games. It's bad for the gamers because we get fewer games to play.

What needs to be worked on instead, is finding a good - universal - pricing system for DLC. Minor things should be, say, $1 - costumes and other cosmetic things. Minor content additions should be, say, $5 [And released in packs] - Weapons, characters, etc. Map packs and such could be $10-15, while big additions - like Oblivion's "Shivering Isles" could be $20-30.

From a completionist's standpoint, sure - expansion packs can be annoying [Other DLC, like level packs, or weapons don't really affect completion that much], but really, why complain about extra content? I can see complaining about high costs, but a lot of people just complain about it even existing - and that seems silly.

The other thing to remember is that games used to cut content entirely - either because it didn't fit with the game as a whole, or it couldn't be finished in time. that content would then never be seen again - or it'd be reworked and brought into the sequel if the game did well. Now, they don't have to scrap it entirely - the time spent on it no longer has to be wasted by removing, or dummying it out. They can work on getting it up to snuff with the rest of the game, and just release it later.

The only time it's truly shady, is if the content is already finished and on the disc, but locked out. And when I say finished, I mean already on the disc, and would actually be playable in it's entirety if not for them somehow locking it off.

It's rare that that actually happens.

Thing is - that's just one kind of "DLC". Also, what you mention already exists - they're called "microtransactions". Yeah, that word that makes everybody cringe and hate companies for adding them. That's exactly what they are - a means for the less dedicated to get something quickly by spending money instead of spending time.

But what about actual expansion packs? Or things that actually add content to the game - like new characters or vehicles?

"All expansion packs are DLC, but not all DLC is an expansion pack" - words to live by right there.

People always say "They should have just added it to the game", and never think about the fact that the devs have budgets. Not just financial budgets, but time budgets as well. If the main game is complete well before the time to actually get it out, they can work on adding extra stuff to it. Generally, when you see "Planned DLC", it's usually content that they couldn't get finished in time for the main release. They generally DO work on these things at the same time - but the main game, obviously, takes precedence.

I'd rather they release the game if it's finished, and up to snuff than delay it to add more stuff that I may or may not want to play.

You know what would happen if you had devs working to add all that extra stuff to their games? They'd never come out - or they'd take forever to do so. That's bad - both for the dev itself, and for the gamers. It's bad for the dev because they make, ultimately, less money - which means even fewer games. It's bad for the gamers because we get fewer games to play.

What needs to be worked on instead, is finding a good - universal - pricing system for DLC. Minor things should be, say, $1 - costumes and other cosmetic things. Minor content additions should be, say, $5 [And released in packs] - Weapons, characters, etc. Map packs and such could be $10-15, while big additions - like Oblivion's "Shivering Isles" could be $20-30.

From a completionist's standpoint, sure - expansion packs can be annoying [Other DLC, like level packs, or weapons don't really affect completion that much], but really, why complain about extra content? I can see complaining about high costs, but a lot of people just complain about it even existing - and that seems silly.

The other thing to remember is that games used to cut content entirely - either because it didn't fit with the game as a whole, or it couldn't be finished in time. that content would then never be seen again - or it'd be reworked and brought into the sequel if the game did well. Now, they don't have to scrap it entirely - the time spent on it no longer has to be wasted by removing, or dummying it out. They can work on getting it up to snuff with the rest of the game, and just release it later.

The only time it's truly shady, is if the content is already finished and on the disc, but locked out. And when I say finished, I mean already on the disc, and would actually be playable in it's entirety if not for them somehow locking it off.

It's rare that that actually happens.

i hate disc locked DLC since there is no way you can get them except if you break the game code and look for them which is illegal .you can also buy them in the psn store but i doubt it that you wanna spend money on stuff you have

Edited by YayoiTakatsuki69

i hate disc locked DLC since there is no way you can get them except if you break the game code and lok for them which is illegal .you can also buy them in the psn store but i doubt it that you wanna spend money on stuff you have

Yeah, me too. And today there are games like this. They just hide the content for us to pay them to unlock, like Naruto Storm Revolution.

I hate this whole DLC and Season Pass wave going on for every game especially since season pass means they already made the DLC but just want to make extra money off it. 

Sure, that's why you get most of the large dlc  packs come out months after the season pass is available  :rolleyes:. I'm not saying the practice is the best thing since sliced bread... but you do get very good dlc from time to time that is worth the extra cash. If you don't like it, no one forces you to buy the dlc, or get a season pass. It's there for those who want the extra content. 

Edited by KratosTheMighty
  • Like 1

Sure, that's why you get most of the large dlc  packs come out months after the season pass is available  :rolleyes:. I'm not saying the practice is the best thing since sliced bread... but you do get very good dlc from time to time that is worth the extra cash. If you don't like it, no one forces you to buy the dlc, or get a season pass. It's there for those who want the extra content. 

true but isn't it better to get the pass when it's available?i mean it saves you lots of time and money 

hi everybody i just wanna hear what your thoughts are on this matter.recently game developers have become more and more lazy in creating new games which results in 2-4 hour long quick cash-in games .take akiba's trip 2 for example.it's supposed to be 10-12 hours but if you follow the story you beat it in just 2 hours.this raises the question "why?". why are they doing this to us?why must we pay 40$ for it?

This isn't really a new issue. I remember when replaying through Metal Gear Solid on the PSOne, I skipped all the cutscenes and CODEC conversations and the game ended up being just a couple of hours long. You'll be surprised at just how shallow of an experience you're getting with a lot of these "AAA" titles when you look under the hood. Its just about knowing how to peel back the layers to see what you're really getting for your money.

If you're a younger gamer who thinks you're getting ripped off in todays gaming. Trust me when I and the rest of the older gamers say...

No your f**king not!

We're from the NES, SNES & SEGA days when a piss poor game could cost you up to £80. That got you limited gameplay, s**t graphics even back then, and stories so bad even blind, deaf,no tongued monsters could write better.

Gaming has never been so good. From 2005 onwards, gaming has done nothing but give 100% for a big majority of the industry. 

But yes there is a greed feeling going about lately. But thats not the developers. Devs spends years coding and wanting to make great games. Its the publishers and marketing departments who turn a work of art into a tack-fest.

If you're a younger gamer who thinks you're getting ripped off in todays gaming. Trust me when I and the rest of the older gamers say...

No your f**king not!

We're from the NES, SNES & SEGA days when a piss poor game could cost you up to £80. That got you limited gameplay, s**t graphics even back then, and stories so bad even blind, deaf,no tongued monsters could write better.

Gaming has never been so good. From 2005 onwards, gaming has done nothing but give 100% for a big majority of the industry. 

But yes there is a greed feeling going about lately. But thats not the developers. Devs spends years coding and wanting to make great games. Its the publishers and marketing departments who turn a work of art into a tack-fest.

greed as in disc locked content or as in splitting a game up in 5 parts to get more money out of it E.G:the walking dead .

Edited by YayoiTakatsuki69