When you think about dark souls difficulty?

liwenborg

Seeing it now, and realizing how cocky the first post can be perceived I just wanna ad that I was very emotional influenced when I wrote it. It was a time when I just have had enough of all the "professional reviewers" and all the "known vets" crying over the difficulty when all the game required was some fckin common sense. For example the only knowledge you need to have when you're a beginner of the series is knowing that you are playing a game which you can't just rush through.

I was still a kid when I started playing Demon souls and I got this message as soon you're at the staircase in front of the castle in 1-1 and being attacked from behind by an undead. After that it was all about playing carefully and taking your time to read the enemy movements etc. And for your question about using a guide is No, from start to finish when I was playing Demon Souls I didn't even bother about FAQ's or walkthroughs. However I were using it in Dark Souls 1 and 2. But mostly, if not only for what certain items had for function or about the games lore. 

Also after completing all three games, my opinion is that Demons was the hardest one and that I'm still standing for that the soul series are games that shouldn't get any more attention for their "difficulty".  

Amen.

Yeah, sorry as well if my post sounded harsh. It's just that I am a bit tired of some people going in the forums basically saying D* Souls games are easy. As if it is the cool  thing to say. They aren't easy, they can be hard. That doesn't mean they  are impossible either. They are beatable, they may take more time than others to learn the patterns, how to level up, how the weapons and armors work. Especially on the first run ever. But still now in NG+ of DS2 I manage to die in the most stupid ways. Getting the wrong timing in a place with a couple or more enemies may mean instadeath. In the locked area in the forest of fallen giants I nearly died. That onion red phantom came out from nowhere and backstabbed me.

But I agree that DS2 (with all current patches. I didn't try it unpatched) is the easiest. Demon's Souls was more challenging. Much less health because I was always hollow for starting.

• Like 1

The Souls games aren't really that hard...when you know what you're doing.  For someone starting out in the franchise the learning curve, as many have rightly said, can be very unforgiving, but after a time you'll start to understand your foes, how to build your character, how to make use of the environments etc...   The franchise might not be as 'hard' as many make out, but it does deserve a lot of credit for demanding gamers put a level of thought into their builds and strategies...you can't just hack and slash your way through the games like many others of the genre, it will punish you...instantly, and even seasoned Soulers will have a hard time here and there, especially if they're a bit of a lone wolf.

The learning curve kind of reminds me of Monster Hunter, as does the feel of the combat to some degree, watch your foes, know your openings, attack but don't be greedy, roll away, defend/heal if necessary, and get back on the offensive...once a player understands this, or whatever strategy works for them (magic, ranged...), and fine tunes their timing, they'll slay most enemies most of the time, and then the game becomes relatively easy with perhaps a few tough boss fights that ultimately just require a bit of concentration/strategizing rather than be a frustration.   

The general consensus is that DS 2 is the easiest of the 3 games...I think a lot of the reasons for that is simply that anyone that had played the previous games had already learned the mechanics and understood what to expect...from the very first moment of the game.   There are other reasons too, but I think that previous experience is undeniable, and that in itself 'is' the very idea that when you know what you're doing the games aren't that hard.  Of course, we all still die...frequently!  Lol

Edited by RedMustang72

The games really aren't that hard. Once you get the hang of the games, it's rather easy in fact. It's all about that learning curve though.

I started with Demon's Souls, and while I died some the first time I played the game, once I got past a couple of levels, I died like less than 5 times that wasn't on purpose before I beat the game.

I honestly think Dark Souls 2 is the hardest, and I think many who say Dark Souls 2 is easier than Dark Souls is just blinded by having started at Dark Souls and then played Dark Souls 2 afterwards, which there are quite a lot of people who has.

I also think Demon's Souls is the easiest, but this can be me being blind to the fact that I know exactly how to play the game to make it piss easy. I mean, to the point of it being a 1-2/10 platinum for me, and I could have made it a 2-3/10 platinum for you.