Prepaid PSN card not adding funds to wallet, help?

Hello all, I'm going to try not to sound like a prick in this post.

So I bought a 50 dollar PSN card right. And it doesn't work.

I tried it on my PS3, PS4, PSVita, the PS mobile app, the PS store website, nothing.

It's value is 50 dollars, which is a decent bit to me. I'm agitated.

Thing is, when I enter the code, each time, it comes up saying it is a value of 50 dollars. Then it decides to say the card is "no longer valid or incorrect" clearly I didn't type it wrong, because it knows it's 50 dollars worth.

So I tried changing my password a couple times, logging in and out, nothing, which is quite an annoyance. I can't tell if the code is just being an asshole on my account as normally I'd buy it on my girlfriend's account and just play the game on mine, but since it's a Vita game I'm after I can't do that.

The code looks like it wants to work, and then it stops. Has this happened to anyone else?

Also, am I just a moron and don't know of any PSN maintenance currently going down? Because that would make me ever so happy. Cheers.

Yeah I am, gonna ring 'em up tomorrow when I get a chance since their help line isn't active for another 10 hours or so, hopefully I'll be first in line.

I had someone pick the card up for me and they don't have the receipt. There's pretty much no way out of this one it looks like, unless it wants to surprise me and work in the morning.

Maybe some lucky fucker typed in a random code and activate yours, i've seen it happen a few times but i don't think sony can do anything about this because there is no way you can prove to them that you gave it away to a friend or anything like that. You need to get a new card

• Like 2

Maybe some lucky fucker typed in a random code and activate yours

I'm fearing that now. I'm pretty much fucked, aren't I?

Buy them yourself, and always keep the receipt just in case.

I normally would, I was gonna go out and get a 20 buck card tomorrow morning but I had a friend coming over tonight and asked them to stop into a store and grab a card for me on the way over, they went and got a 50 though. I literally always activate cards like that immediately on my phone, so I don't have to go all the way back to the store should something like this happen.

Anyway, I'm gonna ring Sony up in the morning, hopefully they'll be able to sort me out, if not, the buyer of the card has offered to go buy another one because it's their fault they didn't have the receipt, which is nice of them, but I kind of feel double bad for them, since I wanted a 20, and they went and got me a 50 (only intending to take 20 bucks off me)  and got screwed. Boo!

Maybe some lucky fucker typed in a random code and activate yours, i've seen it happen a few times but i don't think sony can do anything about this because there is no way you can prove to them that you gave it away to a friend or anything like that. You need to get a new card

AFAIK the codes only start working after it's activated at the register, i.e even if you somehow manage to redeem the right one, it'll say it's invalid.

Edited by Sakura

Forgive me, but somebody has to ask this.  How much do you trust your 'friend'?  Outside of that, maybe your game store will recognize your friend and would be willing to do something to help you out.  It is worth a try at least.

I say friend because anyone who constantly mentions their girlfriend online sounds like they're playing pretend. But yeah, my girlfriend bought me the card, so I trust her with this completely.

Where did you get the card, and what region is your PSN ID from? These have to match. If I got a PSN card in the USA, and my PSN is Canadian, the card won't work.

Got the card from about 5 minutes from where I live, a store in Victoria, Australia, my region is Australian. I've done these cards like a thousand times over the years that's why this is so weird to me.

SO... Today I went and bought another PSN card. I won't lie, I had the intention of being a little naughty and activating that card, then returning my broken card to that store for a refund. The card I bought, did not work either. So I ended up getting that refunded. That card, and the one from the day before, both were the scratch off kind of cards.

I rang Sony and they helped me out a bit, turns out ALL the codes so far ARE valid and HAVE been activated and have NOT been claimed by anyone. So that's good. After this, I went down to EB (the first 2 cards were bought from department stores, not game stores) and bought a 30 dollar card, I asked the guy behind the counter if it didn't work, if I activated it in front of him, if I could return it (I wanted to try a printed receipt code instead of a scratchy card) and he basically said no because they'd lose the money, so he printed off two 15 dollar ones instead so at least if it didn't work I could have another code there. The first code, did not work. The second I didn't activate. Then I rang Sony again, because they said to ring back if the codes don't work and they'd take it from there, so I told the new guy everything, confirmed my account, and on both phone calls they said that my account was fine, no red flags or anything, and he gave me a reference number and told me to email Sony's support thing with photos of the codes and the proofs of purchase and they'd be able to activate the codes "sometime within the next 7 days" (because they have lots of people to deal with with matters like this) for my account. Thankfully the items I want off the PSN are still on sale for nearly 2 weeks, so hopefully this will all be resolved soon.

ALL I WANTED WAS TO PUT 20 BUCKS ON MY DAMN ACCOUNT AND LITERALLY EVERYTHING THAT COULD GO WRONG DID. The lesson here, is, well, there is no lesson, just shit. But hopefully this will all be resolved and we'll figure out the problem.

It sounds like the same problem i had i bought a $20 PSN card typed it in said had $20 of value on the card but kept getting an error when tried to put the $ 20 of the card in my wallet so went back to the store a day after and the card apparently wasn't activated right so just remember for future i guess 

Edited by BanAnER_pH0N3

So here's an update, for those who care, which is probably just me.

After getting an email from them (if I didn't mention that before, they sent me a reply the day after my email) I replied almost immediately, and then sat around and waited for 3 full business days to get nothing, then I resent the email and they finally replied. They basically said "we've gotten your photos, we will work on it soon" which was .. something.

A couple days later, remember I've been trying the codes as often as my schedule would allow, the two 15 dollar codes decided to work, so I bought and beat Walking Dead season 2 (fucking great, if you played the first just for a platinum, play this anyway because it's that good) but the 50 dollar code is still a no go. Sony have not really been of any help to me here, I mean, you could say they're trying, which they are, but they're not breaking their backs or anything, I've spent thousands of dollars on their PSN alone over the years, I know I've spent nothing in comparison to some, but I'd have to expect that what I have spent would be enough to solidify that I use the PSN a lot and this would be a problem to me, so you'd think they'd help or at least reply more than once every 4 days / every time I RESEND the same email to them.

Maybe you scratched the code off wrong.  I did that once for a 3DS card.  I honestly have no idea.

If you're wary about PSN cards not working, the PS4 2.0 patch added a Paypal and Mobile paying option.  

If you don't have a PS4, I'd suggest to just buy codes online from Amazon to circumvent any issues..  No chance of error there.  You buy the code for the card and then they either email it to you or you can view it right there in a few clicks.

Scratched the code off wrong? What do you mean exactly?

I just got my debit card in the mail today, as I was underage until a couple months ago, I've never physically been able to own a card that can be used on Paypal, always borrowing someone else's, and since I never make any outgoing calls I rarely top up my phone's credit, plus also that's not an option in Australia though I really hope it comes later.

Amazon don't ship to Australia either.

Basically: If you're under 18 and or live in Australia, your options are pretty limited.

Also, MOAR UPDATE. Final one too, I got an email from Sony a bit over 3 hours ago, apparently the 50 dollar code was never activated by the retailer despite what I got told on the phone. I'm still gonna keep trying the card from time to time but I'd say she wasted 50 bucks on me, but good news, she wasted another 50 on me before and that code worked fine. So, I don't know what to think but hopefully this will never happen again.

Thanks to all of you who replied, wasn't a single "Haha, you're fucked" among you, so thanks for the support guys. Hopefully this doesn't happen to any of you in the future.

That happened to me a few months ago. I had the receipt and contacted SONY abd they said the card was valid. But when I tryed in PS3, PSVita and PS Store online it said it was invalid. The best solution I had was getting back my 20€. But since you don't have a receipt. Well, good luck maybe you can get that fixed. But lately many people had problems with PSN cards. If you ask me, try to create a account in PayPal. But that's me. But also I never got a day to try it. Never had a game I wanted to buy now since the One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 with a pretty good discount but my PSN card didn't worked because of problem above.

• Like 1