best RPG games on ps3?

GRITTY_PITTY

That I've played so far:

• Mass Effect series
  • Dragon Fantasy series (if you like retroesqe JRPGs)
  • 3D Dot Game Heroes
  • Rainbow Moon (its quite a grind and definately not for everyone)
  • Two Worlds II
  • Alpha Protocol

RPGs that I'm highly looking forward to playing:

• Skyrim
  • Dragon Age Origins
  • Kingdoms of Amular: Reckoning
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
  • Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  • Risen 2
  • Arcania: The Complete Tale
  • Deathspank series
  • Penny Arcade Adventures series
  • Mars: War Logs
  • Of Orcs and Men
  • Pier Solar HD
  • Sacred 2
  • Dungeon Hunter Alliance
  • Eternal Sonata
Edited by merciful84
  • Like 2

That I've played so far:

• Mass Effect series
  • 3D Dot Game Heroes
  • Two Worlds II
  • Alpha Protocol

• Skyrim
  • Dragon Age Origins
  • Risen 2
  • Deathspank series
  • Of Orcs and Men
  • Pier Solar HD
  • Sacred 2
  • Eternal Sonata

Nice list, if I was you id go and buy Skyrim right now :) its damn amazing!

• Like 1

Nice list, if I was you id go and buy Skyrim right now :) its damn amazing!

Oh, I've had it for the last 2 years now but its sitting in my backlog. Got an odd philosopy: I want to work my way up to it by playing the "lesser" RPGs. I don't want to play Skyrim and then play other games on those list and not be able to appreciate them on their own merit. I just think playing "the best" first, may alter my opinion about the others. I'm giving Fallout 3 and New Vegas the same treatment (which I meant to add to the list too).

Edited by merciful84
  • Like 1

Oh, I've had it for the last 2 years now but its sitting in my backlog. Got an odd philosopy: I want to work my way up to it by playing the "lesser" RPGs. I don't want to play Skyrim and then play other games on those list and not be able to appreciate them on their own merit. I just think playing "the best" first, may alter my opinion about the others. I'm giving Fallout 3 and New Vegas the same treatment (which I meant to add to the list too).

thags a good way of looking at it :)
  • Like 1

yeah western rpgs are much better in my opinion, I plan to play Ni No Kuni though :)

i mean jrpgs are much better in my opinion, but most of the people only know western rpg, because of the attention they get here in the US of the media, popular sites of games, etc...

And Ni No Kuni people like in US exactly because it is famous among the US media.

Edited by Gregorymany

i mean jrpgs are much better in my opinion, but most of the people only know western rpg, because of the attention they get here in the US of the media, popular sites of games, etc...

And Ni No Kuni people like in US exactly because it is famous among the US media.

Im Australian but I know what you mean :) ive never really played a JRPG, unless you count Okami? But it doesnt really have many RPG aspects I guess.

I think I'm with every Bethesda fan on PS3, when I say that Bethesda make the best RPG's imaginable, but sadly that cannot build for PS3.

Fallout 3 & Fallout New Vegas are truly amazing games to play. If you have a 360 then you must play these near endless games. Then there's Skyrim which tops everything. 

Sadly the PS3 was to difficult to port to and so all that massive code can make for a let down experience on PS3.

So in terms of what works perfectly for PS3...

1: Dragon Age Ultimate Edition - But you need purchase the Return to Ostagar DLC as neither EA or BioWare made sure that the discs were complete. It works... its just not that ultimate lol.

2: Ermm.

3: Mass Effect Trilogy. Buggy as hell and neither an RPG or a solid shooter. Great story though until you get to the turd game.. I mean third game.

4: Fallout New Vegas - You need to play this game. Bugs can sometimes have a work around, and then its smooth gameplay for a good 6 minutes :D

5: Fallout 3 - See above.

• Like 1

That I've played so far:

• Mass Effect series
  • 3D Dot Game Heroes
  • Two Worlds II
  • Alpha Protocol

• Skyrim
  • Dragon Age Origins
  • Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  • Risen 2
  • Deathspank series
  • Of Orcs and Men
  • Pier Solar HD
  • Sacred 2
  • Eternal Sonata

Spot on with Penny Arcade and Deathspank. Good thing someone still remembers these smaller games :)

• Like 1

My personal list of best PS3 RPGs:

• Dragon Age Origins
  • Dragon Age II
  • Dragon's Crown
  • Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
  • Demon's Souls
  • Dark Souls
  • Final Fantasy X
  • FInal Fantasy XIII
  • Final Fantasy XIII-2
  • Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
  • Kingdom Hearts II 
  • Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning
  • Mass Effect 1
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Overlord
  • Overlord II
  • Skyrim

Haven't played Dark Souls II yet, so can't comment on that one. I did think Ni No Kuni is very overrated and overhyped.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

If you want to play the best last, it should be Dragon's Dogma over Skyrim.

- Better, more complex character creator.

- Combat blows Skyrim's out of the water (especially the magic)

- Much wider variety of armor, weapons, classes, and enemies.

Just my opinion, but I think anyone who has played both can say the same thing.

maelstrom1mxb1.gif

Edited by PREDRAG-K
  • Like 1

Everyone here has pretty much said what I'd say, but I'll give you my two cents.  The PS3 (and the Vita even more so) is an RPG haven - there's literally an RPG for any of your tastes.  I play both western and Japanese RPGs (I have obvious favouritism towards the latter).  I actually have yet to touch upon my western RPG backlog (Kingdoms of Amalur, Arcania, Skyrim, the Mass Effect trilogy, Fallout and more are all waiting...) so I can't give you first-hand recommendations, however I've heard great things about Kingdoms of Amalur in particular, such as that it has a fantastic battle system and a very immersive world.  But for now I'll just give you some JRPG recommendations.

It all depends on what kind of JRPG you wanna play.  Some people have favourite sub-genres.  I like any and all kinds, but my weakspot is dungeon crawler turn-based RPGs.  If you want dungeon crawlers, then the Hyperdimension Neptunia franchise is a good place to start, or any Compile Heart franchise for that matter really.  The original Neptunia is a pure turn-based dungeon crawler, and while the two sequels (mk2 and Victory) were still dungeon crawlers, the battle system expanded into more of a strategy turn-based hybrid.  Still a fun system, but I did prefer the original's battle system to be honest (as I said, it's my weakspot!).  However, mk2 and Victory are much better developed games in terms of graphics (kind of), presentation and overall quality, so it's up to you.  If you play the original and like it a lot, I then recommend Trinity Universe - a solid JRPG with almost identical gameplay to the original Neptunia, albeit a bit better in terms of quality.

If you like action RPGs, the Tales franchise and the Kingdom Hearts HD collection are the way to go.  Tales has a complex action battle system.  There's a lot to it, but once you get the basics down it's one of the most solid battle systems you'll play.  Unfortunately, the stories are often lacking in the Tales series, but the characters well make up for it!  There's six Tales games on the PS3 so far; Graces f, Xillia, Xillia 2, Symphonia, Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, and Vesperia (Vesperia's Japanese only so unless you know the language, scrap that one), but I'd recommend the two Xillia games for the best introduction to the franchise assuming you haven't played them already.  Kingdom Hearts on the other hand has a much simpler battle system (in terms of action RPG they're only similar in style; their battle systems are completely different in almost every aspect) and you're in for a fantastic story, music and overall game content.  Plus, it comes in a HD collection, so there's two to enjoy  ;)  Another action RPG I cannot recommend enough is Drakengard 3.  The story is dark, the gameplay is really unique, and it's just unlike any other JRPG on the market.  And if you like that, there's Nier to enjoy, a game in the same world of rich lore.

A personal (fanboy-induced) recommendation would be Gust-developed RPGs.  They're turn-based RPGs but with a twist; relating to the story, there's always a calendar system ongoing in the game and you usually have a time limit of some sort.  So you're managing how you spend your time all the time.  There's six Atelier games on the PS3; Atelier Rorona, Totori, Meruru, Ayesha, Escha and Logy and finally Shallie (which is on the way to the west).  The first three are from the Arland saga and the latter three from the Dusk saga.  I recommend starting from Ayesha onwards as it's much more beginner friendly in comparison to the Arland saga.  If you want a Gust game but without the time limit, go for Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel and the newly released Arno Surge: Ode to an Unborn Star.  These games have absolutely god-like soundtracks and are well worth the play (also turn-based).

This is a given but if you've never played it, make a point of doing so - the Final Fantasy series.  There's five on the PS3 so far, FFXIII, FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns: FFXIII (all part of the XIII saga - obviously).  But, I'd recommend the Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster for a taste of the best of Final Fantasy.  The XIII trilogy isn't the best place to start in the franchise simply because it doesn't 100% represent what makes the franchise so great, and may act as a turn-off.  Nonetheless, as a Square Enix junkie I can't recommend the franchise enough!  :D

There's also loads more PSN-only RPGs I heavily recommend giving a go, such as...

• Battle Princess of Arcadias (beat-em-up action sidescroller RPG)
  • Costume Quest (turn-based RPG, also perfect for the season ;) )
  • Record of Agarest War (grid strategy RPG)
  • Legasista (dungeon crawler RPG)
  • Faery: Legends of Avalon (turn-based RPG)
  • Child of Light (reaction time turn-based RPG)
  • Dragon Fantasy Book I and Book II (retro-style turn-based RPG)

Mind you, most JRPGs are anime-based.  Just something to keep in mind - if you can't tolerate anime cute people, 90% of Japanese-developed RPGs won't be very suitable for you unfortunately, bar the aforementioned Square Enix RPGs (Final Fantasy and Square Enix) which only imitate the fashion of anime but keep it realistic.

Oh dear, I wrote another essay.  Sorry.   :unsure:  Hope it's helpful at least!

• Like 3

If you want to play the best last, it should be Dragon's Dogma over Skyrim.

- Better, more complex character creator.

- Combat blows Skyrim's out of the water (especially the magic)

- Much wider variety of armor, weapons, classes, and enemies.

Just my opinion, but I think anyone who has played both can say the same thing.

maelstrom1mxb1.gif

Thanks! It was going to be one of my last but I'll do a bit more research to see which is more deserving.

• Like 1

Im Australian but I know what you mean :) ive never really played a JRPG, unless you count Okami? But it doesnt really have many RPG aspects I guess.

Okami it´s more an adventure game, but it´s amazing!!

And if you liked okami or Ni No Kuni, you should try others eastern games like, Eternal Sonata, Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate, etc...

• Demon's Souls
  • Dark Souls 1 & 2
  • Dragon's Dogma
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
  • Mass Effect Trilogy
  • Dragon Age Trilogy
  • Fairy Fencer F
  • Tales of Xillia
  • Tales of Xillia 2
  • Tales of Graces f
  • Tales of Symphonia/Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World