Most embarrassing Platinum

patrickogorman19

13 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

You mentioned earlier that you said "Probably Paw Patrol".

Don't be!

Unless you're also embarrassed by things like Lego games, Paw Patrol is a great game, it's well polished and well made. Just because it's made for children, you shouldn't feel embarrassed.

A bit like Sonic Adventure, but bones instead of Rings.

Compared to some of the other games you have, that game could be considered a classic.

Great game is a bit of a stretch. 

I mean it does what it's meant to and that's entertain kids that like paw patrol.

And it's incredibly simple to keep in line with the age demographic. 

But I would hardly consider it a good game or a classic. 

8 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I think that is actually an interesting question - and I think that Hannah Montana is the answer - though not necessarily fairly.

The only game I can think of where a single game was used as the shorthand (and would therefore be a challenger for the title of 'poster child') is maybe My Name is Mayo - but that one never had quite the same sting to it, as it was so obviously a knowing, self-aware joke. 

My name is Mayo is like the deadpool of easy plats. 

Edited by AIDA_Tri-Edge

12 minutes ago, AIDA_Tri-Edge said:

?

Sort of yeah!

Because it was self-aware, and a deliberate joke that rose in the era of trophy jokes and memes, it never managed to overtake Hannah Montana, simply because doing something in a knowing or deliberate way never captures the 'purity' of accidentally doing the same thing.

It's kind of like why movies like Sharknado or Megashark vs Giant Octopus never manage to be as long lasting or have the same cult following that, say, The Room or Birdemic or Showgirls have.

By trying to be bad, they don't manage to have the same cult status as movies that were earnestly trying to be good, but just failed spectacularly.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

10 minutes ago, AIDA_Tri-Edge said:

I would say it's a pretty difficult platinum, and the scars afterwards... i mean how many times do you have to press, 5000, 10000 times? That's a lot of button presses.

I think if I had to do it, I would get psychology trauma. While I'm tapping, my brain would go into overdrive. Parts of my life would flash before me

What has gaming become?
I can't believe I am doing this.

What am I doing with my life?

I could have bought a tasty chocolate ice cream instead of this.

I could be spending time with my family

Or playing a good game.

30 more minutes sleeping.

Or doing literally anything else

This is going to be on my gaming record forever

But hey, look on the bright side!!!!!!!

A lot of the easy games now only require you to push the button about 10 times and not 10000.

Progress has been made!

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

1f602.png

Sort of yeah!

Because it was self-aware, and a deliberate joke that rose in the era of trophy jokes and memes, it never managed to overtake Hannah Montana, simply because doing something in a knowing or deliberate way never captures the 'purity' of accidentally doing the same thing.

It's kind of like why movies like Sharknado or Megashark vs Giant Octopus never manage to be as long lasting or have the same cult following that, say, The Room or Birdemic or Showgirls have.

By trying to be bad, they don't manage to have the same cult status as movies that were earnestly trying to be good, but just failed spectacularly.

Yeah exactly. 

Thinking about it I would say avatar the last airbender would be up there. 

Can't you get that plat in about 10 mins standing in the one spot attacking? 

2 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I would say it's a pretty difficult platinum, and the scars afterwards... i mean how many times do you have to press, 5000, 10000 times? That's a lot of button presses.

Almost as difficult as all those arcade classic games they have out these days. 

Edited by AIDA_Tri-Edge

3 minutes ago, AIDA_Tri-Edge said:

Yeah exactly. 

Thinking about it I would say avatar the last airbender would be up there. 

Can't you get that play in about 10 mins standing in the one spot attacking? 

I believe so - but again, I can't say I would consider that a 'poster child', simply because it was never used as the 'short-hand' - and it's legacy was - if anything - simply that it was forgotten.

You'd be much more likely, if you used that as an example, to have to explain what you meant, I think.

Even now, using 'Hannah Montana' as a gaming shorthand - people know exactly what you mean. - Hell, I do, and I have never seen the show, played the game, or would even be able to identify the character or actress (singer?) in a line-up.

That 'recognition without context or personal experience' is what makes it the defacto 'poster child', I would say.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

33 minutes ago, AIDA_Tri-Edge said:

Almost as difficult as all those arcade classic games they have out these days. 

Ah yes, some of the best games ever made. Not platinum games though and not cheap either.

Well they cost a tenth of the price they cost me when I was big into collecting JAMMA PCBs several decades ago, well before things like MAME were invented and the Internet became main stream, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

Unless you're also embarrassed by things like Lego games, Paw Patrol is a great game, it's well polished and well made. Just because it's made for children, you shouldn't feel embarrassed. A bit like Sonic Adventure, but bones instead of Rings.

Sonic Adventure was actually challenging and a bit difficult. Paw Patrol was designed for younger kids, and as such should be made more accessible. Lego games aren't even in the same category, as while most are easy, a couple of them are difficult, based on what I've heard from people.

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The irony though, is that, while it was funny to see profiles full of FPS shooters and GTA and other 'grown up' games with a game like Hannah Montana on it - it is my understanding that the Hannah Montana game wasn't actually all that terrible from a game point of view. It wasn't good, but was a fairly middle-of-the-road, serviceable rhythm game for tweenagers.

The joke just came from how often it was played by people clearly not the intended demographic just to pad a profile.

Actually, the game is old enough now that someone who is in their early 20s now, and a full-fledged trophy hunter, could easily have that game on their profile from back then unironically.

They could actually have been the 'right' demographic when it released - they would have been a tween, and may well have been a genuine fan of the TV show - and so, I think the ironic nature of the game has kind of 'aged-out' now...

...but I think someone would still be hard pressed to find a single game that was ever held up as a negative example quite as often, and quite as specifically - and for such a long time - as Hannah Montana - so I think it has to be considered the 'poster-child'.

Hannah Montana was on the Disney Channel, which was a sitcom from 2006 which started the career of Miley Cyrus. I considered Miley to basically follow in the footsteps of Jamie Lynn Spears, Hilary Duff, Amanda Bynes, Lindsay Lohan and other teen stars of the 2000s. All of them are now hasbeens, except Miley Cyrus. How she is still relevant today, I don't know.

The movie came out a few years later and I can guess that I've hurt some peoples feelings when I said I absolutely hate Hannah Montana. I was already in my early 20s when the movie came out in 2009 and I thought it was completely stupid. But for the then 10 - 12 year old kids who watched it in 2009, they're now in their early 20s and might think I'm some asshole who felt the movie was complete garbage (which it was).

That just goes to show the generation gap. It's like saying Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, the movie and the Nickelodeon cartoon show (all done on CGI) was very stupid, when the premise of both was to appeal to kids.

Another 'kids' game was Megamind, a title that most people today probably aren't even aware of. But Hannah Montana was the most popular amongst Generation Z kids.

I'm sure a number of people in their early 20s probably loved Hannah Montana, which is fine. I just don't have to like what they like.

14 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

The movie came out a few years later and I can guess that I've hurt some peoples feelings when I said I absolutely hate Hannah Montana. I was already in my early 20s when the movie came out in 2009 and I thought it was completely stupid. But for the then 10 - 12 year old kids who watched it in 2009, they're now in their early 20s and might think I'm some asshole who felt the movie was complete garbage (which it was).

I'm sure a number of people in their early 20s probably loved Hannah Montana, which is fine. I just don't have to like what they like.

Sure - my point wasn't about the quality of the show - if you were in your early 20s when it aired, I would have been mid-20's, so hardly on my radar either (without even adding into the mix the fact that I don't think you got the Disney Channel here in the UK back then unless you paid through the nose for it!) and I have no idea how it would stack up against the stuff I watched as a kid.

I can't say I would be able to identify Miley Cyrus, or any of the folks you mentioned there either (except Lohan) - though that's basically as a result of my age.

I'm guessing they are the later generation's equivalents of Danielle Fishel or Elisabeth Berkley and the likes :hmm::dunno:

I do remember asking at one point on this site though, whether that game was actually bad, or just had a bad rap - and the answer came back that it was basically a bog-standard, not-good-but-not-awful, simplistic rhythm game - and to be honest, I can't imagine the exact same game mapped onto a different artist would have reached the same level of 'meme-ifiaction' 

Edited by DrBloodmoney

55 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Sure - my point wasn't about the quality of the show - if you were in your early 20s when it aired, I would have been mid-20's, so hardly on my radar either (without even adding into the mix the fact that I don't think you got the Disney Channel here in the UK back then unless you paid through the nose for it!) and I have no idea how it would stack up against the stuff I watched as a kid.

A lot of people were already doubting the quality of the Disney Channel. After all, it brought High School Musical, and I sort of blame it for the tween pop star scene that was overly popular in the 2000s. Although to be fair, Britney Spears and N'Sync started that, which us kids back then couldn't get enough of.

We had DIRECTV in the late 1990s, but the Disney Channel was never a channel I cared about. Me and some other kids watched Toon Disney for a while, but once Disney gave up on cartoon shows, the station was doomed because nobody wanted to watch the same old shows over and over.

Here in the United States, for those who had cable, you had to pay extra for the Disney Channel. Most kids my age and those closer to your age didn't have the Disney Channel because naturally, most parents weren't going to pay more for it. The station than many people in my generation could identify with was Nickelodeon. I daresay it was better than Disney. Game shows, cartoon shows, educational shows, it had everything a kid wanted.

Watching those old commercials Nickelodeon aired, it was no wonder so many kids loved it.

I can't say I would be able to identify Miley Cyrus, or any of the folks you mentioned there either (except Lohan) - though that's basically as a result of my age.

I'm guessing they are the later generation's equivalents of Danielle Fishel or Elisabeth Berkley and the likes :hmm::dunno:

I was already past the age threshold by the time Miley Cyrus came into the picture. Lindsay Lohan being a bit older was already doing stuff in the late 1990s, early 2000s. But at least they're doing or did something.

The worst of the worst in my opinion are the reality tv stars and the stupid dumb socialites like Kim Kardashian, and Kylie Jenner. All they have going for them is looks, and nothing more.

I do remember asking at one point on this site though, whether that game was actually bad, or just had a bad rap - and the answer came back that it was basically a bog-standard, not-good-but-not-awful, simplistic rhythm game - and to be honest, I can't imagine the exact same game mapped onto a different artist would have reached the same level of 'meme-ifiaction' 

Terminator Salvation had both. Hannah Montana was the easier alternative. But I will argue that Megamind and a number of kids games in the early PS3 era had just as bad of a rap, because they were overly easy.

Edited by AJ_Radio

Only got these for plat no enjoyment whatsoever.

• Slyde

• Energy Cycle + Edge

Ive bought some ratalaika games some would probably consider embarrassing but I’ve enjoyed the majority of the ones I’ve played.

Edited by blacklight-nero

On 27/10/2014 at 10:45 AM, patrickogorman19 said:

What is your most embarrassing mine is rachet and clank a crack in time I raged on this easy platnium.

I suppose Music Shapes... Great game, i loved it... but death mode levels were a nightmare. I did about half of the levels: for the others, God bless shareplay ???... So i don t feel this plat 100% mine... ??

Edited by Jaffar79

The biggest shit stain on my list by far is Drowning. Awful “game” if you can even call it that.

It was like $1 on the PSN store one day and caught my eye. I looked up one review by some indie gaming website which made it sound like some sort of beautiful, thought provoking experience. It was a “walking simulator” (new genre to me - turns out it’s exactly what it sounds like lol) and had “something interesting to say about mental health.” But most of all I could see that it clearly had a bunch of really easy trophies. Hell yes, I thought, count me in!

It turned out to be about 30-40 minutes of literally holding the analog stick down in the forward position as you read snippets of some angsty emo kid’s diary floating in the sky. 

With YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World, I’m happy to bring a different flavour of embarrassment to the table. :giggle: I had little knowledge of what to expect of the (apparently originally an eroge) game when I picked it up. Compared to other similarly extenuated (or censored, if you prefer) Japanese ADV games with erotic content that were eventually ported to PlayStstion, this one retained a certain small level of lewdness strewn in regular intervals through the extensive, markedly detailed and (somewhat) more tame inter-dimensional time travel/fantasy narrative that I was astonished to see present and intact. Also borderline lewd enough to let me dwell on the silly idea of what it would be like to play those passages in friendly company for laughs and possibly look into some briefly reddening, embarrassed faces. 

For a platinum to be embarrassing, it should come with an embarrassing icon.

I expected something like Pantsu hunter to be something more risque, but it's just a regular trophy image. All the senran kagura games are icons of their cover art.

If the trophy itself doesn't stick out, how can it be truely embarrassing?