Dead Space 2, or 3?

AssassinShadow56

The dead space games are 70% off until the 6th of November, and some of you might know that I loved Dead Space (It was rather recently that I got it, and on PC as well), and obviously, I want to buy one of them. Which one should I get? Dead Space 2 DLC's also get a discount by the way, I might buy 2 DLC packs.

Also, since I'll need a new HDD to play it, does anyone know where a cheap 80GB+ HDD is? I am needing one.

Wow you decided just off one reply/post/person??

I would say DS3, since it's not a bad game at all, has a badass and great story, and the perfect, fitting, and long overdue implementation of OPTIONAL COOP (that the Devs said they've wanted to put in the game since Dead Space), which is drop in & drop out co-op for friends, with a CPU partner being completely non-existent (as the co-op is just meant for friends and randoms), unlike Resident Evil 5, but.. because of story relevance only, I say go with Dead Space 2. I wouldn't really see any reason to go with DS3, unless you gave no shits for stories in video games.

Dead Space (3) is completely fine with co-op, especially with the specific way in which it was handled, in which the Devs LITERALLY, PERFECTLY did it right. Friends can't join until you reach a checkpoint, thus the player needing to get through whatever mess he's in alone till he reaches the checkpoint... instead of getting helped or carried mid-struggle. No AI based partner co-op, meaning ANY/ALL players can still get the SP experience ALONE, without anyone, and AI's can never be your partner. Drop in and drop out co-op, meaning friends can join mid-game, after a checkpoint has been reached, and can drop out at all time.. the partner does not become an AI partner when your friend or random leaves and the experience goes back to 1 perspective. To complain about coop makes you very ignorant, especially since the coop is wayyy better than the horrible put together and unbalanced MP in (the overrated) DS2. Lastly, the more action oriented game, made co-op's inclusion that more early-likeable, as some people (for some odd reason) have a problem with (full) horror games having coop.

DS3 is not "too" action oriented. It just got more actiony than it's prequels. DS2 itself had actually become more actiony after DS1, but ppl ignore this or can't see it, because it still retain a good amount of horror, while DS3 retained most of it's horror, but because of so much action and action music implemented, it camouflages DS3 horror. Seriously, the music is like the biggest reason it seems like a action game, because the levels, monsters (besides the new cutscenes for them), etc are still basically the same as the prequels.

As for story expansion DLC, DS3 also has the better DLC, despite DS2 being the better game. But I have to say it was cool playing as another person in DS2's DLC, however, it just felt like a different voiced and different costume Isaac. He does everything the same as Isaac besides talk like him and wear the same RIG. So since he stays behind the helmet most of the time, it's basically like you're playing Isaac still.

Edited by BlueDiamond93
  • Like 4

Dead Space 2 is a much better game than 3 overall. So I would recommend starting with that first off. If you are interested in the whole storyline etc - Dead Space 3 is also worth a look to see what happens next, it looks lovely and there is alot more character and plot development in it. Worth it just for an easy playthrough!

Yes, I am aware that DS2 is sort of a action game as well, but then again, I want to play them all in order (plus, DS3 isn't that expensive: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-Dead-Space-PS3/dp/B0089L1YB6).

I will start DS2 soon, once I get a HDD. My first playthrough will be on Zealot (I hate myself so much :D)

I already have a buddy to play DS3 with, I'm just playing the Dead Space saga on order.

Yes, I am aware that DS2 is sort of a action game as well, but then again, I want to play them all in order (plus, DS3 isn't that expensive: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-Dead-Space-PS3/dp/B0089L1YB6).

I will start DS2 soon, once I get a HDD. My first playthrough will be on Zealot (I hate myself so much :D)

I already have a buddy to play DS3 with, I'm just playing the Dead Space saga on order.

I don't get why people say that, the third one sure, but definitely not for the second.

I would play DS3 solo for the first time, then play as Carver with your buddy.

I think Dead Space 2 was a better game, but I got more enjoyment out of Dead Space 3 for the co-op aspect. 

To put it another way, Resident Evil 4 is a much better game than Resident Evil 5, but I got much more playability and enjoyment out of the co-op aspect on Res 5. 

There's no point buying a game (or not buying one) based on someone else's opinion. Buy the game that better suits your own enjoyment. If you like Dead Space 1 as much as you say, then 2 is probably a better choice for you than 3. 

OR you could just buy both?! :D

• Like 1

I think Dead Space 2 was a better game, but I got more enjoyment out of Dead Space 3 for the co-op aspect. 

To put it another way, Resident Evil 4 is a much better game than Resident Evil 5, but I got much more playability and enjoyment out of the co-op aspect on Res 5. 

There's no point buying a game (or not buying one) based on someone else's opinion. Buy the game that better suits your own enjoyment. If you like Dead Space 1 as much as you say, then 2 is probably a better choice for you than 3. 

OR you could just buy both?! :D

I'll end up buying both, but I wanted to knew which one to play first. I'll play DS2 first.

Is there any 40-80GB HDD that can be sold in Portugal?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Personally, I found Dead Space 2 to be the better story line, more horrific, and more challenging.  Dead Space 3 was more user friendly as the game play was simpler, the horror was toned down, but being able to create your own weapons was a real upgrade.  Who doesn't like a contact beam with a machine gun?  Or a flamethrower with a rocket launcher?  Either way, BOTH games should be bought and enjoyed, especially if you're a fan of Dead Space.  I beat all 3 of those games who knows how long ago, and I still play them.

*BONUS*  If you get the special edition of DS2, you also get Dead Space Extraction, which is a first person mode of dead space, and takes you through the story before Isaac reaches Aegis 7.  And you can play with either a dual shock remote, or a move remote, and that game has 48 trophies as well, and it's pretty fun to play.  Especially if you have the gun attachment, which I'm pretty sure they no longer make, or even sell.

HAPPY GAMING!