Guide of the Year Awards 2014

Platisfaction

LOL :giggle: , it would count for the Guide of the Year Awards 2914. 

But seriously, I think you should quote a Guide Team member to get a response as soon as possible.

Well even if I win, I will never be able to choose one game. Minecraft, Terraria, Mortal Kombat and Ninja Gaiden Σ 2 Plus are just some of the games I want. Also your Borderlands 2 guide has more chances of winning than my guides.

• Like 2

Well even if I win, I will never be able to choose one game. Minecraft, Terraria, Mortal Kombat and Ninja Gaiden Σ 2 Plus are just some of the games I want. Also your Borderlands 2 guide has more chances of winning than my guides.

Thnx :). But three guides will be chosen for the awards, so one your guides can win.

If I upload a guide now and it gets published nine centuries later, does it count?

We've talked about this and we can assure you that we will do our best to clear the queue before 1st December, even if this might mean a night shift for the whole guide team. However, we won't publish any guides which still need work; everything which is not up to our standards will be sent back to unpublished. So unless your are really sure about yourself and your work, don't wait until the last second before submitting your guide!

• Like 1

If I upload a guide now and it gets published nine centuries later, does it count?

My thoughts exactly.

I wrote a guide, submitted it several times over nearly 6 months and finally got a reply telling me to correct a few missing full stops. Yet in that time a guide for the same game got submitted and published months before made me lose interest in writing them.

Edited by Simpo

My thoughts exactly.

I wrote a guide, submitted it several times over nearly 6 months and finally got a reply telling me to correct a few missing full stops. Yet in that time a guide for the same game got submitted and published months before made me lose interest in writing them.

Whenever a guide is first set up for review by a user, a thread gets automatically created in the guide room. The guide in question was first set up on 13 September. The other guide (for the same game) was first set up for review on 3 September, 10 days earlier. This is why it was far up for review earlier. With the queue being as massive as it was back then, we decided that "second guides" for a game got low priority. I hope you understand that we wanted to publish guides for games which didn't have a guide at all first.

• Like 1

With the queue being as massive as it was back then, we decided that "second guides" for a game got low priority. I hope you understand that we wanted to publish guides for games which didn't have a guide at all first.

I'm writing another guide for Destiny at the moment (I understand we have one already before people come in like wrecking balls complaining .-.) The question I have is, if I publish this guide for GotY will it be valid to be nominated or would only the first guide be valid?

I'm writing another guide for Destiny at the moment (I understand we have one already before people come in like wrecking balls complaining .-.) The question I have is, if I publish this guide for GotY will it be valid to be nominated or would only the first guide be valid?

Nah, the really brutal days with dozens of guides sitting in the queue are over, so you should be fine. At the moment the queue is manageable, even though we still have the luxury problem of getting a couple of new guides every day. As long as you put it up for review in time (and not 5 minutes before midnight) we should be able to review it. However, as I said before, make sure it's up to our standards though, otherwise it might be returned to unpublished.

• Like 1

Nah, the really brutal days with dozens of guides sitting in the queue are over, so you should be fine. At the moment the queue is manageable, even though we still have the luxury problem of getting a couple of new guides every day. As long as you put it up for review in time (and not 5 minutes before midnight) we should be able to review it. However, as I said before, make sure it's up to our standards though, otherwise it might be returned to unpublished.

Would the new guide replace the old guide or will there be two guides?

Would the new guide replace the old guide or will there be two guides?

It doesn't replace it, but we do require that the new guide be better than the old guide to be able to be published, otherwise why even bother? :P

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 3

In my opinion, this competition has "popularity contest" and "scratching friends' backs" written all over it and I feel as though it won't be able to genuinely claim legitimacy for at least a couple more years, when each game has several guides and the guide rating system has had enough time to bear a decent amount of votes from the community of players actually using said guides.

Given the fact that 100% of the guides I've frequented this year have been riddled with different forms of errors (spelling and grammatical, incorrect information, plagiarism, etc), it gives me the impression that the first year of the guide system was rushed, individual guide reviewers were left unsupervised and their final decisions went unchecked. Hardly seems like a good reason to roll out an award ceremony for patting yourselves on the back.

The illusion of the democratic procedure is one of the more disheartening features, though. Telling the community to nominate their favourite guides but that, "you have the final say and the nominations don't affect that" seems ridiculously contradictory and wreaks of being all-powerful. I'm in no way implying that the list of winners will be skewed but, the possibility of such an occurrence appears rather great.

I'd also like it to be known that I'm not trying to pee on the upcoming parade in any way. It is my most sincere feeling that the implementation of the guide system was a monumental step forward for the website and further solidifies it's foothold on being one of the top tier gaming websites heading into the future. I will be participating in and paying attention to the proceedings and their results. These are simply my impressions and opinions.

• Like 1