Death Is Scary

HACKERS-RACING

Our bodies die, but our energy will go somewhere else. Energy can't 'end' it just moves on and a huge part of what we would call conciousness/who we are can be quantified as a vast amount of bio-electrical energy. So when we die that energy doesn't just stop, it goes somewhere. Whether that 'somewhere' is mundane or another place is the question.

Until we can prove without a doubt what happens next everyone will have their own ideas on the subject. I like to think personally that we do go somewhere else.

To the people that say 'just enjoy life and make the most of it', while the intention is lovely, it doesn't work at all unless you are talking to someone who will live a healthy long life without pain and with the opportunity to enjoy it to the fullest. You wouldn't say that to a kid with terminal cancer, would you? For some people it is impossible to 'enjoy life and make the most of it'.

Edited by Captain_Cutscene
  • Like 2

I've been having these strange thoughts lately, like is any of this for real? Or not?....

On a more serious note, I have been thinking about this topic too. And I also think that being scared is a good thing in a way or two. Like that question about death kinda makes me scared, and nervous. It has to. Like, to bring this topic in a new light, maybe think of it this way--what good is it if everybody is so strong and brave enough to handle it themselves? (Handling death I mean). Doesn't being scared of something just add more fuel to the fire that we're reaally all just human? Doesn't fear excite us about some things? I think it's OK to be scared of it, I mean afterall, our ancestors were, and we might not have been here without them being scared at dark times and having their fight or flight responses kick in =)

I'm not scared of death.. it's something that is going to happen to everyone eventually.  I'm atheist also, but doesn't really make me worried.  Maybe stop worrying about dying and just live life and enjoy it while it lasts?
Only thing that makes me slightly nervous of death is that I think I'm going to be one of those people who die alone, I don't ever have feelings towards anyone.

• Like 1

You shouldn't fear death, it's something as old as life itself and EVERYONE must face it. I had to deal with death a lot as a kid, so I was basically forced to learn how to deal with it. Some people may go through life and not experience the loss/sorrow/potential fear that death brings, and will therefore have a harder time facing it. I

I'm not religious, and I'm not atheist. I don't know what happens after death, but what I do know is that life is a struggle and death brings peace. I believe the energy in our body is released upon death as well, where else would it go? So I don't fear death, I just don't like thinking of losing my close loved ones, but it WILL happen.

• Like 1

Meh. You should only fear it if you have any regrets in your life, as in, you don't wanna die before being able to get married, have kids, see your kids grow up, etc. I'm an atheist, so I believe that once I die, well, that I've finally died, and that's that. I also I believe that there's no such thing as the afterlife, or me being born as another being, and yadda yadda, but I still don't fear death. I do believe in some stuff stuff, though. Me, I don't even want to grow old, or too old, rather. Maybe I don't want to die, but I also don't want to live for too long. Death is part of life, but I guess that's the part of life that people may try to deny, or try to fight off, due to how it's the "scary" side of life. If you're scared of death, well, that can be considered good, as it can mean that you care about your own existence, no?

Edited by jack21_98

To keep it uncontroversial on my end, I will give you two quotes from what is my favorite game ever, The World Ends With You:

"The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they'll go."
"Enjoy the moment with all your might...whether it’s gloomy, whether it’s bright!"
  • Like 2

We are finite.  If we were infinite, the time we spend loving our families or bettering ourselves or finding patterns in chaos would be meaningless. If it never ended, it wouldn't matter how you spent it. Those moments when you lock eyes with that someone that makes time seem to slow down in a heavy mix of passion, hope, and terror would be meaningless. Your victories, your failures, your entire existence... All meaningless without an end. Even (or especially) without the expectation of an afterlife, the limited nature of our time is what gives the lives we lead significance, emotional weight, and most of all, meaning. I'm not saying you should love death or look forward to it... but I don't think you should be afraid.

Then again, I tend to just pull things out of my ass and try to pass them off as something more than what they are. I wish I could leave you with some brilliant quote from Poe or Shakespeare, but instead all I have is vague memories of Dee Snider (lead singer of Twisted Sister) from the movie Strangeland saying something about 'those who most resemble death are those most reluctant to die.'

To the original poster (Probably not a good idea to get into the atheism debate, as much as I want to....). I think everybody is scared of death to some degree. It's ok to be scared of death, just don't let it get to be too much. I'm an atheist as well (Yes, atheist. Not agnostic.), and the thought of dying is scary. I used to get freaked out by the thought of there being nothing after this life, but now it doesn't bother me. I would agree with what Demon said earlier, that I'm more afraid of dying alone. I'm just trying to make the best of the life I have.

• Like 1

Death itself isn't that scary to me.

I'm more afraid of how to die.

Let us - for the sake of the argument- not bash each other skulls based on what I'm about to say about religion.

Imagine your an atheist and you would die this very night.

You would die peacefully in your sleep and you would feel nothing anymore, you wouldn't even feel the "nothing".

Actually, not a bad way to die is it?

However imagine yourself being hit by car, being kept alive for months, a lot of pain, which eventually leads to your death.

If you believe if an afterlife and you think you've earned the right for a happy afterlife (heaven for example, not the hell).

You will remember that pain forever and you will realize that you will have left everything behind, such as family, pets, partners, friends, ...

Going to heaven doesn't always sound like the best option. That is, unless we assume that everyone in heaven reaches a state for enlightingment so we don't actually miss anyone or remember the troubles of our mortal lifes.

And if you are going to hell or some sort of afterlife, it doesn't matter how you'll go.

You'll live forever in pain and remorse of anything. That's actually the most scary thing about death perhaps.

But from experience, they once said I was going to die from an ilness.

I spent a few days on an intensive care level with people trying their best non stop.

Obviously I got better, but feeling death come near every minute, that was real scary.

Not because of the pain, but I saw a lot of people I really cared about next to my hospital bed, crying.

The real scary part about death was missing them all, going to heaven, hell, nothingness, ... They didn't even cross my mind.

• Like 3

Lets keep the bullshit to a minimum please. Also, throwing insults around because of differing opinions is a quick way to get banned.

We're capable of having discussions without a moderator having to delete almost an entire page of replies, right? 

Parker

• Like 2