Minecraft vs.Terraria?

merciful84

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which did you like better?

Which do you like or pefer to play more? So, I played through (if you could even call it that) Minecraft on both the PS3 and Vita...if it hadn't been for the trophy hunting, I would have gotten bored with it a lot sooner than I ineviably did. However, I began playing Terraria today and was immediately hooked! I'll admit that Terraria was always the game that I wanted to play more between the 2 but I kept hearing and reading that it was best to know how to play Minecraft before starting Terraria...so I waited on Minecraft to come to the Vita (since its the way I wanted to play Terraria).

To say that I was disappointed upon finally playing Minecraft is an understatment. It just feels so...aimless. I like to at least have some overall objective when playing a game and shouldn't have to rely on the trophy support to provide that. I may have felt a bit better about the overall experience if I didn't pay anything over $5 for the game (not to mention the $20 that I actually did shell out for the cross-buy). It just seemed like a glorified box of legos imo.

Terraria on the other hand feels a lot different. Its a bit soon to put my finger on it but it definately has the visuals, pacing, and gameplay style that suits me. Plus, the fact that NPCs can move into your structures and that there are boss battles gives an overall purpose to all the mining and grinding that you're doing throughout the game.

For those that have played both, what are you opinions? (vote in the poll as well)

I loved Terraria at first but after the 1.2 update broke the game i lost my worlds and lost all motivation to start again. I might pick it up for the PS3 at some point so that starting again doesn't seem so bad.

I never got into Minecraft until the PS4 version, but now i still play it after getting the plat.

Overall, i voted MC but only because of the issues i had with Terraria.

I loved Terraria at first but after the 1.2 update broke the game i lost my worlds and lost all motivation to start again. I might pick it up for the PS3 at some point so that starting again doesn't seem so bad.

I never got into Minecraft until the PS4 version, but now i still play it after getting the plat.

Overall, i voted MC but only because of the issues i had with Terraria.

Yeah, this is another thing that I kept hearing about...the game breaking update. I'm definately glad I waited as long as I did.

• Like 1

I played a bit of MC on PC and got the platinum of terraria a few days ago and I think I should say terraria. MC is funnier if you like to do random shit with friends, but if you like to work as a team and do goals like bosses and stuff, I would go for Terraria. I'm not voting in the poll because I don't think I played MC enough to place a vote, but this is my oppinion.

Well, honestly both games are bad but they are a bit enjoyable if you like that type of game. However they are way too overpriced. Which one is the best depends on what you want, Terraria has more content than Minecraft but has even worse graphics. I'd say it comes down to how you prefer to play them because they are very similar. The main differences are :

Terraria : 2D, more action AND better action. 

Minecraft : 3D, better building. 

That's probably it, also Minecraft offers maybe 2-3 hours of gameplay, maybe 7 hours if you are a completitionist, while Terraria is more like 15-20 hours i think. ( I never completed Terraria and i've played for about 10 hours, However I did have both health and Mana or whatever it's called maxed out AFAIR). People who say Minecraft offers lots of hours of gameplay are fanboys who lie just to make their little game look better. Of course you can play for 1000 hours if you want, but you can do that with ANY game. Both Terraria and Minecraft are extremely repetitive games, but you must know that, it's the case for every single indie game AFAIK. Now, Minecraft fanboys/fangirls will think i'm a minecraft hater, but i really am not, i'm only honest, i've played Minecraft and enjoyed it for what it was, but it is without a doubt a bad game.

I think you have gone too far in your statement. Terraria is not the kind of game I like to play, I just done it because it was on my account because I was helping a friend one year ago and I had to finish it at some point, even tho I don't like the genre, I liked the game a lot and I doubt the timespams you gave for both games are anywhere correct. I spent about 80 hours on terraria just to get end-game gear and killing all bosses. Could have been 10h faster with friends tho. Since I'm hosting a boosting session at the moment to help future players, I really believe it is a fun game to play, I even got my friend ThiagoLevi his platinum is just a few nights and I've gone through EVERYTHING with him again and had a blast with it.

I understand the game is not your piece of cookie, but you overstated your oppinion like it was the actual truth.

• Like 2

Well, honestly both games are bad but they are a bit enjoyable if you like that type of game. However they are way too overpriced. Which one is the best depends on what you want, Terraria has more content than Minecraft but has even worse graphics. I'd say it comes down to how you prefer to play them because they are very similar. The main differences are :

Terraria : 2D, more action AND better action. 

Minecraft : 3D, better building. 

That's probably it, also Minecraft offers maybe 2-3 hours of gameplay, maybe 7 hours if you are a completitionist, while Terraria is more like 15-20 hours i think. ( I never completed Terraria and i've played for about 10 hours, However I did have both health and Mana or whatever it's called maxed out AFAIR). People who say Minecraft offers lots of hours of gameplay are fanboys who lie just to make their little game look better. Of course you can play for 1000 hours if you want, but you can do that with ANY game. Both Terraria and Minecraft are extremely repetitive games, but you must know that, it's the case for every single indie game AFAIK. Now, Minecraft fanboys/fangirls will think i'm a minecraft hater, but i really am not, i'm only honest, i've played Minecraft and enjoyed it for what it was, but it is without a doubt a bad game.

Are they both "Bad" or both games that just aren't of your particular taste? I think the 2 often get misconstrued now in days. Even though I don't care for it, I'd catergorize Minecraft as a game that just isn't for me vs "Bad" since I can see how it would appeal to a certain audience. By calling it bad, its to say that its somehow unplayable or there are things so wrong with it that I cannot see how anyone would get any fun out of the experience.

As far as the visuals, I don't think either were really going for anything cutting edge and the whole idea was to have a retro looking environment.

However, I definately agree with both games being a bit overpriced. If I knew exactly what I was getting into beforehand, I would not have paid anything over $5 for Minecraft. Terraria's $15 price point is a bit much too but I would have gladly paid at most $10 for it. I feel a bit better about the latter though because Terraria is very addicting...for me :)

Minecraft is fun as it's more like enjoying the blocky scenery and creating many things whether they are 2d or 3d and make huge things. It's peacful and calming.

Terraria is fun and very challenging mostly because of the bosses you can fight against and some of the RPG elements in it. Like weapons, and armor, ability to fly and breathe underwater, more enchantments.

To be honest I think Terarria is fun for its challenge, better than minecraft. Mineecraft is more of a peacful game where you take in everything mostly, even if there is the occasional fight against the creepers and possible enderman.