Yu Suzuki shares details of Shenmue III and beyond in new Shenmue Dojo interview

Lady Lilith

http://segabits.com/blog/2014/11/13/yu-suzuki-shares-details-of-shenmue-iii-and-beyond-in-new-shenmue-dojo-interview/

shenmue_intro.png

In a new interview from the Shenmue Dojo, the series creator and SEGA legend spoke at length about the development process of Shenmue and Shenmue II, and revealed a bit more about the long awaited third game in the series. A bulk of the interview delves intoinformation shared at GDC 2014’s Shenmue postmortum, clarifying and expanding on development details shared at the event. Suzuki also answered some Shenmue IIIquestions, sharing some very interesting pieces of information. Suzuki revealed that how the third game begins is undecided, but he thinks it will start from Shenhua’s home. Suzuki also defended SEGA, stating “About Shenmue, Sega is not a problem at all. ForShenmue III, we need to define a specific budget and if I can gather enough for it, Sega will allow me to do it.” Regarding the question of if Shenmue III would end the series, Suzuki answered “Yes indeed, the story is far away from being completed and to be honest, I do not think that it’s possible to end it during Shenmue III. If I had to do it my way, players would experience the ending during Shenmue V. But that seems to be a lot so I’m going to try to finish it within the next 2 games.”

For the full interview head on over to Shenmue Dojo, and in the comments below share your thoughts on what Suzuki revealed. Should the series continue past a third title? Or should Suzuki focus on one more game to complete the story?

I would be very happy if Shenmue III (and however many games it takes to finish the plot) happens, because the only reason I haven't played I and II on Dreamcast yet is I know there's a huge cliffhanger, and I'd hate to love the games only to be sad the plot will never finish.

• Like 2

Oh god... it's been so many years since I played Shenmue.  I remember renting Shenmue I on the Dreamcast and having the first disc end... my first thought was "what the hell, the game only had one disc? what kind of cliffhanger is this?"... then frantically realizing that the damn place only gave me the first disc.  Needless to say, despite being young and having very little money, purchasing that game shot itself up my list of priorities.

Shenmue II was pretty much the only reason I got the original Xbox.

Would pay just about anything to see the first two games get the HD treatment, and see a third one finally grace my TV screen after all this time.

Edited by Dreakon13