Review: Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd

http://segabits.com/blog/2014/11/15/review-hatsune-miku-project-diva-f-2nd/

2014-11-15-155231-600x340.jpg

All screens from the PlayStation Vita version.

So, Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd is finally here. My first time playing a Project Diva game was last year when it came out on PS3 in western territories, and I’ve been hooked ever since. So many hours of my time logged into playing Project Diva F. Needless to say, I was looking forward to Project Diva F 2nd and it doesn’t disappoint, in fact, it goes beyond my expectations.

If you have played Hatsune Miku Project Diva F, you have an option of carrying over all the accessories, modules, and items you have unlocked over into F 2nd when creating a new game. Don’t worry if you haven’t unlocked everything, F 2nd gives you a way to unlock items from the first game if you haven’t unlocked them.

I feel that the song list in Project Diva F 2nd is a huge improvement over Project Diva F. Although opinions regarding songs is a completely personal thing of course, so you might feel differently. For me though, this song list is really good. There isn’t a single song I dislike. There is also a lot more songs coming in the future as DLC, too.

2014-11-15-160557-600x340.jpg
It’s hard to take screens and play at the same time!

GAME MECHANICS

Now I will talk about game mechanics. I’m not going to go into detail about every game mechanic, that would take way too long and bore you. First, a quick overview for people who aren’t familiar with the game. Hatsune Miku Project Diva is a colorful and challenging in your face rhythm game. The core gameplay is hitting the controller face buttons with the rhythm as the prompts fly by on screen while dealing with crazy distracting backgrounds that will drive you insane if you are new to the game. You get used to it after a while though, don’t worry =)

New to the Project Diva series is cross save. Cross save lets you share your game data between PS3 and PS Vita in a very seamless way. You can have the games set to cross save automatically, but I personally prefer cross saving manually through the options menu once I’m done with my gaming session. There is no loading or saving with cross save, just cross save.

So, say you’ve been playing on Vita and decide you want to try the PS3 version. Just enable cross save on the PS3 version like you did with the Vita version and your game data will automatically be downloaded off PSN. Don’t have to worry about your Vita data being overwritten by your PS3 data. It’s a smart cross save system. Also, yes, this means that both versions share the same trophy list. Sorry, trophy hunters.

2014-11-15-160307-600x340.jpg
The combo star notes along with a skin bought from the in-game store.

New versions of star notes have been added to Project Diva F 2nd. The first is combo star notes. Combo star notes are star notes linked together with a line and if you swipe/flick them all successfully you get bonus points. Double star notes are star notes where you have to swipe the screen with two fingers or flick the control sticks at the same time. The Vita version also allows you to set the control sticks as your method for hitting star notes without penalizing you. You could use control sticks on Vita in Project Diva F, but your score suffered because of it.

The song list also has some new mechanics. You can now view some of the items are you able unlock and how you can unlock them. Some items are still kept a mystery, though. Also new to the song list is a mechanic called Spotlight Song. While playing, a spotlight song will randomly come up. If you successfully complete a spotlight song you get a lot of extra bonus diva points which are used to buy costumes and other items from the in game store. You have to play the spotlight song when it comes up, though. If you don’t play a spotlight song right away, it disappears. I think it’s a cool mechanic that adds some unpredictability to the game.

Also new to Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd is the ability to change the look of the gameplay graphical user interface by buying skins from the in-game store. Oh and English subtitles for the song lyrics! A really cool feature. It’s cool to know what the songs are saying without looking them up on youtube.

2014-11-14-204235-600x340.jpg
Hooray for faster load times!

TECHNICAL STUFF

If you have ever played the PS3 version of Project Diva F you know that in-game calibration is a big deal. If you don’t have the game calibrated correctly you are pretty much setting yourself up to fail. In both the PS3 and PS Vita versions there is a new calibration mode that is more user friendly. Interestingly enough, the old calibration option is still in the PS3 version. I’m not sure what the difference is between the two. I’ve always had trouble getting Project Diva F calibrated on my TV, and still am. So yeah. Just my thoughts on this feature.

Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd is looking better then ever. The graphics have been improved quite a bit on both platforms. The PS3 version still looks the best, but the PS Vita version of Project Diva F 2nd is more sharp looking compared to the Vita version of Project Diva f. Loading times on the Vita also feel much snappier to me. On PS3 the load times feel the same as they did on Project Diva F.

WHICH VERSION?

Both versions of the game are good. Although which version you get can possibly affect your enjoyment of the game. So here is some advice from my personal experience. Get the Vita version if you want a portable experience that works perfectly out of the box without any screwing around with the input lag options. Get the PS3 version if you need superior graphics and a big screen experience. Get both versions if you want both experiences! I also find it easier to see the button prompts while playing a song in the Vita version.

2014-11-15-154644-600x340.jpg
This game is awesome!

OVERALL

Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd is a wonderful game. There is more features and modes I won’t be covering in this review, but rest assured there is a ton of content and features that justify the asking price for this game. If you are curious in knowing more about the kinds of extra features included in Project Diva games, I encourage you to check out myProject Diva F review from last year. Also, Project Diva F 2nd feels more challenging compared to Project Diva F, so just be aware of that. Newbies might want to start on easy mode.

If you are bored of games and looking for something different, this is a great game to try. I can’t promise you’ll love it though, its very Japanese and extremely colorful so it all depends on your personal taste. Now, if you would excuse me. I need to get back to playing this game and beating my high scores. Thank you for taking the time to read my review!

A.png

I love game sequels where it gives you little bonuses from having the previous game on your memory card/hard drive.  I believe Ratchet and Clank was the first (or one of the first) to do this on PS2.

• Like 2

*heavy breathing*

-first of all... ENGLISH SUBTITLES!!! WHOOOOOO!!

-oooh.... how nice of them to have feature of stuff from first game being carry over to new game ^_^

-looking forward to the new mechanics...

*choo* *choo* all aboard the hype train... ^_^

• Like 2

Yeah, that's a trophy in the game. The trophy list is very similar to the first one. You can view 'em here;

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/hatsune-miku-project-diva-f-2nd/232178-hatsune-miku-project-diva-f-2nd-trophy-guide-roadmap.html

Already checked it out. Gonna do this on a alt account. hated the grind man. 

anyone know if theres gonna be another art collection trophy?

Yeah, there is.  Personally I got it naturally in F2nd as opposed to having to grind for it in F, but that's probably because the :platinum: is a longer ordeal and so you'll most likely get it naturally anyway.  The review is pretty neat, but it kind of skims over a lot of things, like how the PV making is easier now.

Hey, that's me!   :lol:

Since this is a trophy site and whatnot and I got the :platinum: for PDF2nd back in March, I'll just leave a few notes here for anyone wanting to earn the :platinum: for this game since the trophy descriptions are just as ambiguous as the last game:

• You can't just buy all of your DIVA Room furniture and gifts anymore; you have to unlock them through song challenges now.  Every song has about 5-6 challenges, asking you to fulfill certain requirements during the song.  Some are easy, like 'wear x Module and finish the song', or 'clear the song 5 times', but some songs like Double Lariat and Miku Miku ni Shite Ageru require you to reach a combined score total on the song (6.3 million and 3.93 million respectively).  You already know doing good in a song is what gives you a higher score, so if someone is inexperienced or incompetent in the songs, you'll be playing those same songs over and over until you hit the score for those unlockable items.  Which are required for 100% DIVA Room event completion and a multitude of other trophies.  Fun.
  • The Vocaloids in the DIVA Rooms can't be fed/given the same food/present repeatedly.  You have to mix them up now.  Give Miku vegetable juice three times over, she'll get pissed and you can not give her presents/food again until you win her over again.  This makes reaching Lvl. 6 friendship with them all a bit slower.
  • You have to unlock 23 skins out of the 27 that can be purchased.  Note that once you unlock them, you also have to purchase them.  Skins are the border containing the lyrics, rank progress and song name during gameplay.  Some of these have pretty demanding requirements such as 'clear 393 songs' (considering there's only 40 songs in the game, that's a grind) and MEIKO (Concept) skin (she's only in like 2 songs, so that's grinding the same two songs another 48 times, blegh).
  • Modules are not only required for :gold: モジュールマスター [Module Master], but for in-game song challenges, as already mentioned.
  • This :platinum: is a lot more skill-based.  It's not Child of Eden-difficult and I personally rated it a 3/10 (1 higher than PDF) but some song challenges *will* challenge people who are less experienced at rhythm games, and it's also a lot more grindy in general.
  • The new mini-game in DIVA Room is a clapping mini-game.  You clap hands with the Vocaloid and press buttons to go along with the song they sing.  The trophy requires you to complete all three stages of the song, which get progressively faster.  Slip up too much, no clear, no trophy.  Here's what it's like.
  • Oh, and you have to wait 15 minutes between each head rubbing session/gift giving.  So level progress is slow.
  • So basically: Play game, visit DIVA Rooms every few songs, finish Normal + Hard, unlock all the song unlockables, then grind away at DIVA Rooms.

This probably isn't the suitable thread, but making a new thread isn't really necessary  ԅ[ •́ ﹏ •̀ ]و  Hope it helps.

• Like 4

Shoot, lucky. I know GS won't do a midnight release for this, and I have college that day, so I'm not gonna be getting to it until around 2pm.

Actually, you can pick this up on midnight because of the Dragon Age and Middle-Earth midnight. I'll be getting all 3 games midnight!

Wow, didn't know it was you who did that guide, Yuzuki! Also, thanks for the additional info, that'll definitely help.

Actually, you can pick this up on midnight because of the Dragon Age and Middle-Earth midnight. I'll be getting all 3 games midnight!

Really? Sweet. I'm gonna see if my friend who is getting Dragon Age can drive me there then.

• Like 2

• The Vocaloids in the DIVA Rooms can't be fed/given the same food/present repeatedly.  You have to mix them up now.  Give Miku vegetable juice three times over, she'll get pissed and you can not give her presents/food again until you win her over again.  This makes reaching Lvl. 6 friendship with them all a bit slower.
  • The new mini-game in DIVA Room is a clapping mini-game.  You clap hands with the Vocaloid and press buttons to go along with the song they sing.  The trophy requires you to complete all three stages of the song, which get progressively faster.  Slip up too much, no clear, no trophy.  Here's what it's like.

that kinda blows. i hated doing the room shit in the first game and now it's worse  :popcorn:

Wow, didn't know it was you who did that guide, Yuzuki! Also, thanks for the additional info, that'll definitely help.

No problem!  :)

that kinda blows. i hated doing the room shit in the first game and now it's worse  :popcorn:

Haha, I understand what you mean, the DIVA Rooms can be quite tedious, and the whole 15 minute rule with them doesn't add anything at all besides tedium, not just in regards to trophies... it'd be nice if it's taken out of the next game, preferably.   :unsure:

Yeah hes my favorite vocaloid along with the twins. 1 song till hard trophy and thats negaposi :( cant beat it man 

Cretin!  I have an Excellent on that on Extreme, step it up   :pimp:

No really though, use help items, they really, er, help.  Wait, are there help items in PDF?  I can't remember   :|

Already checked it out. Gonna do this on a alt account. hated the grind man. 

It wasn't that much of a grind... it was pretty doable.

Yeah, there is.  Personally I got it naturally in F2nd as opposed to having to grind for it in F, but that's probably because the :platinum: is a longer ordeal and so you'll most likely get it naturally anyway.  The review is pretty neat, but it kind of skims over a lot of things, like how the PV making is easier now.

Hey, that's me!   :lol:

Since this is a trophy site and whatnot and I got the :platinum: for PDF2nd back in March, I'll just leave a few notes here for anyone wanting to earn the :platinum: for this game since the trophy descriptions are just as ambiguous as the last game:

• You can't just buy all of your DIVA Room furniture and gifts anymore; you have to unlock them through song challenges now.  Every song has about 5-6 challenges, asking you to fulfill certain requirements during the song.  Some are easy, like 'wear x Module and finish the song', or 'clear the song 5 times', but some songs like Double Lariat and Miku Miku ni Shite Ageru require you to reach a combined score total on the song (6.3 million and 3.93 million respectively).  You already know doing good in a song is what gives you a higher score, so if someone is inexperienced or incompetent in the songs, you'll be playing those same songs over and over until you hit the score for those unlockable items.  Which are required for 100% DIVA Room event completion and a multitude of other trophies.  Fun.
  • You have to unlock 23 skins out of the 27 that can be purchased.  Note that once you unlock them, you also have to purchase them.  Skins are the border containing the lyrics, rank progress and song name during gameplay.  Some of these have pretty demanding requirements such as 'clear 393 songs' (considering there's only 40 songs in the game, that's a grind) and MEIKO (Concept) skin (she's only in like 2 songs, so that's grinding the same two songs another 48 times, blegh).
  • Modules are not only required for :gold: モジュールマスター [Module Master], but for in-game song challenges, as already mentioned.
  • This :platinum: is a lot more skill-based.  It's not Child of Eden-difficult and I personally rated it a 3/10 (1 higher than PDF) but some song challenges *will* challenge people who are less experienced at rhythm games, and it's also a lot more grindy in general.
  • Oh, and you have to wait 15 minutes between each head rubbing session/gift giving.  So level progress is slow.
  • So basically: Play game, visit DIVA Rooms every few songs, finish Normal + Hard, unlock all the song unlockables, then grind away at DIVA Rooms.

This probably isn't the suitable thread, but making a new thread isn't really necessary  ԅ[ •́ ﹏ •̀ ]و  Hope it helps.

Holy damn... o.O

Anyways, now that the songs have English subtitles, do we have an option for romaji as well?

I don't really care about translation of the songs... I'm more interested in romaji.

Holy damn... o.O

Anyways, now that the songs have English subtitles, do we have an option for romaji as well?

I don't really care about translation of the songs... I'm more interested in romaji.

It gets really boring plus i wanna get my completion up to a 60% so i dont wanna waste hours on one trophy. 

Holy damn... o.O

Can you understand the Romaji?

But yeah, I read that in the English version there's an option to switch between the English translations and Romaji.

Ok after viewing the trophy requirements, I have to say that I will gladly welcome the grinding with open arms. I just hope that this game's difficulty doesn't sky-rocket too high.

Second, why did they have to include the cross-save feature? Project DIVA F is perhaps the first game I have ever enjoyed getting the trophies legit, but now I have to debate on whether to get it for the Vita or PS3.

Third, apparently for the skins where you need to clear 393 songs, I have read that using the cross-save feature can be used as well. Can someone be able to verify this?